PDA

View Full Version : Budding Authors

Trinity_Jay
10-07-2010, 09:09 AM
S!

My name is Jay Slater and I am the senior commissioning book editor at The History Press, the UKís leading military book publisher. I am responsible to encourage in getting my aviation list of books to increase. In that case, I am looking for new writers to join the ranks and to throw their ideas at me. In other words, we can chew the fat.

I have a number of professional aviation writers on my books, but itís also a known fact that many simmers and fans of aviation also have great ideas and stories that might just make an interesting book. So if you have any ideas, drop me a line at:

Jslater@thehistorypress.co.uk

I promise that every e-mail will be answered.

Very best wishes,

Jay

Boosher
10-08-2010, 12:51 AM
I'd say be careful with this one guys. Publishers advertising on an only slightly-related public forum aren't usually the best way to go. I'm not specifically aware of The History Press and what they publish, but I'd advise against sending anything in this way.

WTE_Galway
10-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Boosher:
I'd say be careful with this one guys. Publishers advertising on an only slightly-related public forum aren't usually the best way to go. I'm not specifically aware of The History Press and what they publish, but I'd advise against sending anything in this way.

They do seem to have a fair range of titles including some big selling aviation titles ...

http://www.thehistorypress.co....ilitary-history.aspx (http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/categories/military-history.aspx)

... so no harm talking to them but yeah never jump in and sign away the rights to 5 years work until you are really sure its the right way to go about it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Trinity_Jay
10-08-2010, 03:51 AM
Hey there,

Nothing untorwards here. I am simply asking budding authors or those with a new lead to give me a shout. I have done this on a number of aviation forums and had success by reaching people who had little idea on how to get their books published. If their material is suitable and liked, we do out best to get a great book and deal for them. The likelihood otherwise is that budding authors publish their own books as Ďvanity pressí and they have do all the costing, financing and marketing Ė it can be a hard slog and counterproductive.

So yes, by all means give me a shout so that we can chew the fat.

Very best wishes,

Jay

ytareh
10-08-2010, 02:01 PM
I know its a , "How long is a piece of string?" kinda question but what sort of range of/average return could you expect?Are we talkin' 3 ,4 or 5 figure sums ?Am I correct in assuming 95% of guys wouldnt be giving up their day jobs ?For example would you hazard a gues at what a typical Osprey writer might make per book?Flat rate or commission or both?Just mildly curious .

FoolTrottel
10-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Nope, not over here.

You gonna talk figures, it becomes commercial.

That's against the rules.

Locking.