PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced external sounds in 4.01m??

JRJacobs
06-25-2005, 03:59 PM
NOT the infamous 3D sound, but when i was flying on-line i could hear the muffled MGs and Prop noise from behind-ish when they were right on my tail. i've always felt you should be able to hear SOMETHING when they were close, this sounded right. took me a time or two to figure out what i was hearing.

WB_Outlaw
06-25-2005, 04:16 PM
On my sound hardware it's still porked. Online I can hear other aircraft engines at 300 yards away. Gunfire range varies from 600 yards to full sectors away with no apparent rhyme or reason. I can hear like this even at full power.

-Outlaw.

FoolTrottel
06-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Well, you could be right here.

I've done some fooling 'round with the QMB, putting max# FW190D9 up against max# Tempest...
Me on autopilot, switching all views possible.

I was stunned by the fly-by sounds, as in head on approaches, in cockpit as well as outside cockpit (F2/F8)

And, BTW, my conclusions from those QMB tests:
- AI has improved considerably
- Better flyby sonds!
- Tempest rules! (Let's get it flyable!)

Have Fun!

SATAN_23rd
06-25-2005, 07:17 PM
I crashed after being hit strafing an enemy airfield and heard distinctly the air raid sirens blaring on the base I had just strafed.

That was cool, I dont know if it ins new, but I am a noob to PF (I came from LOMAC) so I thought it was cool.

heywooood
06-25-2005, 08:02 PM
seems alot of things were enhanced in 4.01

Bearcat99
06-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Although that is good for the sim IMO... it isnt very realistic. You actually couldnt hear much... between the engine, the guns, the wind and the radio IRL.

SATAN_23rd
06-25-2005, 11:54 PM
well ,after being hit, I crashed. Which inturn killed my engine, which of course stopped all the firing, because you see, I was the only plane in the sky. So, when the firing stopped, (there was no wind, I was standing on the ground you see) I was able to hear over the clatter of nothing, the air raid sirens still belting out their notes.

LOL.

zaelu
06-26-2005, 05:06 AM
A friend of mine wich is a glider pilot said to me tha being tracted by a zelda tractor plane (I think http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ) he couldn't hear the engine from the aircraft few metters in front of him because of the wind outside of the glider... and it wasn't storm outside :P .

So I think realistic is that you will not hear a thing but your engine, your radio and your guns as Bearcat said.

LEBillfish
06-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Although that is good for the sim IMO... it isnt very realistic. You actually couldnt hear much... between the engine, the guns, the wind and the radio IRL.

Not trying to be contradictory yet I read a report of a zero pilot and his wingman suddenly pounced. The P40's (think they were P40's) dove in and lined up on the lead the wingman slightly behind.

The P40 lead overshot, so the Zero lead set up on him.......However, they had no radio's, and as the P40's wingman set up on the Zero lead, the Zero wingman had to think fast as to how to inform his lead to break unable to get on the P40 wing.

Here they got VERY specific......He considered his Mg's but was afraid the tracers would be missed by his lead....So fired his cannons instead hoping his lead would hear them....

It worked.

The lead "heard" his wingmans cannons from behind so broke off as did the P40 wingman unsure if he was being shot at...and the fight continued on.

Now those were 20mm cannon granted, not MG. Yet showed that even a cannon report from far behind (remember, he was behind both his lead and the P40 wing lining up)...Could be heard.

I do not remember further details like canopy open or closed and such...Yet it would go to show in the heat of combat/excitement/engine reving to catch, that some guns could be heard.

fluke39
06-27-2005, 12:57 AM
IIRC weren't the external sounds louder in IL2/FB and then quietened down early on after FB's release - in an attempt to make it more realistic - as many people said what bearcat says - that you wouldnt hear that much over all the noise of your own plane.

In fact i remember even though it was supposedly less realistic the roar of several 109's streaking head on past my plane was quite exciting - i think i even had to resist the urge to duck as a 109 came over the top of me!

i havnt noticed the external sounds in 4.01 yet, i think it would be good to hear some of whats going on around(if planes are very close.)especially if its more realistic.

WB_Outlaw
06-27-2005, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
I do not remember further details like canopy open or closed and such...Yet it would go to show in the heat of combat/excitement/engine reving to catch, that some guns could be heard.

I find this scenario difficult to believe. The zero wingman is unable to get in a position to fire on the P-40 wingman, yet he is able to get in a position to see the P-40 wingman AND be close enough to his lead for the cannons to be heard? Something visual probably tipped off the zero lead (possibly without him conciously knowing it) and later, on the ground, after all the excited discussions about it, he probably came to the conclusion that he heard the cannon firing.

In the radio room of a B-17 in flight you can yell AS LOUD AS YOU CAN 5 inches from someone's ear and unless they can read your lips, it's useless.

-Outlaw.