PDA

View Full Version : Seafire III - MPH or Knotts?

GazzaMataz
09-01-2005, 03:05 AM
Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I have only noticed it since trying out one of the RN missions. The speedometer in the Seafire is marked as MPH yet when you set the speed bar to knotts it marries up with that rather than mph.

Is the speedometer mean to be in knotts seeing as it a carrier based aeroplane? Or is this all to do with IAS and TAS?

When I have flown the Hurricane its speedometer is knotts and the speed bar marries up with that when set to knotts not mph. That is why I don't think it has anything to do with IAS or TAS...

GazzaMataz
09-01-2005, 03:05 AM
Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I have only noticed it since trying out one of the RN missions. The speedometer in the Seafire is marked as MPH yet when you set the speed bar to knotts it marries up with that rather than mph.

Is the speedometer mean to be in knotts seeing as it a carrier based aeroplane? Or is this all to do with IAS and TAS?

When I have flown the Hurricane its speedometer is knotts and the speed bar marries up with that when set to knotts not mph. That is why I don't think it has anything to do with IAS or TAS...

Arm_slinger
09-01-2005, 12:52 PM
I think it is supposed to be in knotts http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I have always thought the hurri's speedo to be in MPH??? i need to look now

Hastatus
09-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Speed should be mph like the other British a/c. The cockpit is really no different than a Spitfire V.

Knots or mph has nothing to do with wether its a CV based a/c or not.

berg417448
09-01-2005, 02:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hastatus:
Speed should be mph like the other British a/c. The cockpit is really no different than a Spitfire V.

Knots or mph has nothing to do with wether its a CV based a/c or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except that the Royal Navy FAA used knots for navigation. For example...when some Gladiators were modified from the RAF Gladiator II's to FAA Sea Gladiators they changed the airspeed indicators from MPH to Knots.

I've also found this:

http://www.warbirdsite.com/spitfireASI.jpg

Ref. No. 166. MARK 9E AIRSPEED INDICATOR. 1939. Air Ministry. Ref No. 6A/1294. No. 7101/39. Range 0 - 340 knots. Excellent condition.

Wilburnator
09-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Knotts, ofcourse.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/wilburnator/barney.jpg

Jungmann
09-02-2005, 12:37 PM
In the archives at Castle Jungmann, there's a Spitfire ASI A.M. 6A/6146 dated 1944 with a range of 50-450 knots. IIRK, all A.M. a/c production shifted to knot-reading instruments by 1944, RN or not. Anybody confirm this?

Cheers,

berg417448
09-02-2005, 12:43 PM
June 26, 1946--The Aeronautical Board agreed unanimously that the knot and the nautical mile be adopted by the U.S. Army Air Forces and Navy as standard aeronautical units of speed and distance, and directed that use of the terms be specified in all future procu"rement of air speed indicators, charts, related equipment, and future issues of applicable handbooks and technical orders."

I have no information about any other nations.