PDA

View Full Version : Zoom and disapear

Poacher886a
04-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi all,

Why when you zoom in on a target on the Nav map does it disapear??

Charlie901
04-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Cause that's a radio report of a ship sighting from BdU, reported to them from other German assets in the area.

They disappear cause that was only their last known position and heading. BY the time you get there they have already moved on.

That's why you have to plot a proper intercept course and dive when you get close to locate with your sonar.

If your going to the exact area they were, when they first appeared on your map, you'll never find them.

So remember head them off and "Intercept".

Happy Hunting! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HelfriedSchultz
04-14-2005, 02:50 AM
Why don't you try actually reading what he posts instead of just assuming you know what he's talking about.

It happens to me too. I'll get a contact and zoom in and on one of the zoom levels the contact isn't there. If I zoom out again or zoom in one level, the contact is there again.

And this is not just me zooming in to far with the contact being off the charts. I know this because it disappears sometimes when I zoom OUT.

I don't know why this happens but it's a little annoying. Nothing to get upset over but it's something that eventually should get fixed.

Johnny_JG2
04-14-2005, 03:26 AM
The more accurate the data was on the contact, the more you can zoom in. In general, the closer the contact is to you, the more you can zoom in. You can often zoom in enough to get his exact course- though his exact position is always gonna be a little off.

The further away he is, or less reliable the data that gave you that particular contact information, the less you can zoom in- and thus, the less reliably you can get his course/position on the map.

HelfriedSchultz
04-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Let me try again.

Hypothetically, say there are 5 levels of zoom. We'll number them 1 to 5 with 1 being zoomed all the way out and 5 being zoomed all the way in. I will get a contact and it will be on the map. The contact will then sometimes not show up on say level 3 zoom but will show up on levels 5,4,2, and 1 zoom. So that doesn't fit your scenario of how accurate the information is.

Dremond
04-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Y'all just aren't getting it. It happens to me, too. Right after I get the report, I put my time compression down from the auto-adjusted 8 to 1. Barely any game time passes, maybe 1 minute. I center the map between me and the contact, and zoom the map in. At a certain level of zoom, the contact disappears. It's there at 25km per tick, gone at 10km per tick, back at 25km per tick.

U_21
04-14-2005, 01:06 PM
I reckon that's just the way the game works. You can get zoomed in enough to work out an intercept, what more do you want?

panthercules
04-14-2005, 08:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by U_21:
I reckon that's just the way the game works. You can get zoomed in enough to work out an intercept, what more do you want? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed this too sometimes (not often or always) - I "fixed" it simply by using the map tool to mark an "X" where the contact is (when I'm at a zoom level where I can see the original contact) - that way I can still see the "X" at any zoom level

not an issue for me now since I used some mod I saw to eliminate all these sighting markers anyway, so I'd stop getting all these stray single ship spottings that were inflating my kill totals to unrealistic levels anyway

Johnny_JG2
04-14-2005, 08:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HelfriedSchultz:
Let me try again.

Hypothetically, say there are 5 levels of zoom. We'll number them 1 to 5 with 1 being zoomed all the way out and 5 being zoomed all the way in. I will get a contact and it will be on the map. The contact will then sometimes not show up on say level 3 zoom but will show up on levels 5,4,2, and 1 zoom. So that doesn't fit your scenario of how accurate the information is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I understand exactly what you are saying, and I stand by what I said. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The more you can zoom in, the more precise you are about his location. Obviously, the only reason why you are upset you can't zoom in on him, is because you want to more accurately plot his course. If you zoom in and can't see him, that's because you can't be sure he is there. If you are close enough that you think you need the zoom in order to "see" him for you final intercept- than obviously you are off course or something http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif cuz then you could just use your sensors to see him.

No need to be baffled by this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Frederf220
04-14-2005, 10:16 PM
But that makes no sense, a precise mark on a map doesn't have to be accurate. The mark should be at a precise location on the map at all zoom levels, just wouldn't neccesarily be accurate.

That or a big dotted circle when you zoomed in to show how uncertain the position was.