PDA

View Full Version : hardware help please

constipated_can
01-23-2006, 10:30 PM
ok well let me start of by saying hi.ive been on these boards for awhile but ive never posted before. Anyway back to my question.

My computer is a p4 3.6 ghz,Radeon 9250 128 mb videocard and 1 gig of ram. im just wondering if it's possible for me to play this game at a stable framerate. If so what should the settings be on and what should i turn on or off to get the most out of my ''outdated'' pc.

Im a huge flight sim fan. ive been playing since the first flight sims came out.after i picked up Forgotten Battles i decided there was no better Flight sim developer out there. Their games are always top notch in every possible way.Ive been looking forward to getting Pacific Fighters but im worried i will not be able to play it. at this time i don't have the money to upgrade my pc but im getting this game next week. Anyway thx for your time and im sorry for the long read and thx for any help you can give me

constipated_can
01-23-2006, 10:30 PM
ok well let me start of by saying hi.ive been on these boards for awhile but ive never posted before. Anyway back to my question.

My computer is a p4 3.6 ghz,Radeon 9250 128 mb videocard and 1 gig of ram. im just wondering if it's possible for me to play this game at a stable framerate. If so what should the settings be on and what should i turn on or off to get the most out of my ''outdated'' pc.

Im a huge flight sim fan. ive been playing since the first flight sims came out.after i picked up Forgotten Battles i decided there was no better Flight sim developer out there. Their games are always top notch in every possible way.Ive been looking forward to getting Pacific Fighters but im worried i will not be able to play it. at this time i don't have the money to upgrade my pc but im getting this game next week. Anyway thx for your time and im sorry for the long read and thx for any help you can give me

LEXX_Luthor
01-23-2006, 11:19 PM
cc ... P4 3.6 or 2.6 ??

Your only problem is -9250, but I did PF okay using some lower grafix settings on ATI-9200 -- using more recent drivers (Cat 5.3 or 5.4 I think).

Try newer drivers -- maybe not the newest. Ask around here about them.

You probably want to use OpenGL and not DirectX. Use Excellent Mode grafix and you will be okay.

You have good computer -- even P4 2.6, but old grafix card.

PF kinda needs 1 gig ram, and you have it!

Wellcome to Forgotten Board

Tully__
01-24-2006, 12:38 AM
I fly on a P4 2.0GHz GF4Ti4600 at Excellent settings and acceptable framerates, I don't think you have much to worry about.

major_setback
01-24-2006, 04:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
I fly on a P4 2.0GHz GF4Ti4600 at Excellent settings and acceptable framerates, I don't think you have much to worry about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much memory do you have there?...I have that graphics card and a P4 (3.02GHz) and can't run at excellent (not when dogfighting anyway).
I only have 512Mb memory though.

Hoatee
01-24-2006, 01:27 PM
To achieve a smooth and stable fps, you should set your terrain to very low and and all other settings to high (instead of excellent). Switching Direct3d acceleration (or whatever it's called) off helps (let it run in OpenGL only).

Those are tips from a user of a Radeon 9200SE with 128MB on 5.7 catalyst drivers (and by sheer coincidence 512MB ram as well).

constipated_can
01-24-2006, 04:44 PM
well i spent all my money on another gig of ram. I should have bought a better videocard but figured i should go for the ram first. This computer should last me for the next 2 years. I have my 9250 overclocked so it does get a little better performance. Im going to overclock the my processor sometime next year. i should get it up to 4.0 ghz or so.I basically cooling system my uncle installed for me that will keep everything from overheating. it's like a mini refrigerator or something. he Bought a BFG AGP 8x 512 mb videocard that he might give me because he is going to PCI-E so i might not have to buy a new card. I don't remember the exact details of the card but that would last me for the next 3 years easily. Anyway thx for the help everyone.

constipated_can
01-24-2006, 04:45 PM
btw which drivers do you suggest i use? Catalyst or a third party driver?

Tully__
01-25-2006, 02:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by major_setback:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
I fly on a P4 2.0GHz GF4Ti4600 at Excellent settings and acceptable framerates, I don't think you have much to worry about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much memory do you have there?...I have that graphics card and a P4 (3.02GHz) and can't run at excellent (not when dogfighting anyway).
I only have 512Mb memory though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>1GB, it makes a huge difference.

CD_kp84yb
01-25-2006, 03:27 AM
Heya,

If you have a decent motherboard and you have a Pentium 3.6, That setup will eat this game for lunch, breakfast and supper at the same time.
Running here on a P4 3.4 prescott and MSI 875P neo2 Mobo, and it laughs at this game.
Only concern is the graphic card radeon 9520. as Lexx says you could lower the settings and get decent FPS.
1 Gig of good Ram will do.

My specs are Msi 875p, P4 3.4 , 2Gig dualchannel, 9800XT256ddr.
I havent seen any bad framerates , even when Norton pops in for scannin for virusses while playing.

Regards

constipated_can
01-26-2006, 08:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
cc ... P4 3.6 or 2.6 ??

Your only problem is -9250, but I did PF okay using some lower grafix settings on ATI-9200 -- using more recent drivers (Cat 5.3 or 5.4 I think).

Try newer drivers -- maybe not the newest. Ask around here about them.

You probably want to use OpenGL and not DirectX. Use Excellent Mode grafix and you will be okay.

You have good computer -- even P4 2.6, but old grafix card.

PF kinda needs 1 gig ram, and you have it!

Wellcome to Forgotten Board </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3.6 with HT tech

constipated_can
01-26-2006, 08:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CD_kp84yb:
Heya,

If you have a decent motherboard and you have a Pentium 3.6, That setup will eat this game for lunch, breakfast and supper at the same time.
Running here on a P4 3.4 prescott and MSI 875P neo2 Mobo, and it laughs at this game.
Only concern is the graphic card radeon 9520. as Lexx says you could lower the settings and get decent FPS.
1 Gig of good Ram will do.

My specs are Msi 875p, P4 3.4 , 2Gig dualchannel, 9800XT256ddr.
I havent seen any bad framerates , even when Norton pops in for scannin for virusses while playing.

Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah i have a great motherboard i forget the manufactures name though. It might be a Asus. Yeah it's a p4 3.6 with HT technology.Im upgrading to the same videocard you have in about a month except mine is Overclocked out of the box. I have it on backorder and they said they would have it to me in about 2 to 3 weeks. My ram got here this morning so im up to 2 gigs. ive noticed better performance on a few games so im glad i bought it.

-HH-Quazi
01-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Shoot m8. Your are running a 4 piped card on a rig capable of the best on the market. As cheap as cards are getting these days, you will be blown away if you got yourself an X850Pro, XT, or XTPE. Same in the X800 line of cards. Any of these cards is 4 times the card you have now. And when I say cheap. I am talking $180 to $250 these days.

Awesome rig m8! Post back when you get yourself the card a rig like that deserves. You will be extrmemely happy with the results.

constipated_can
01-26-2006, 09:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
Shoot m8. Your are running a 4 piped card on a rig capable of the best on the market. As cheap as cards are getting these days, you will be blown away if you got yourself an X850Pro, XT, or XTPE. Same in the X800 line of cards. Any of these cards is 4 times the card you have now. And when I say cheap. I am talking $180 to $250 these days.

Awesome rig m8! Post back when you get yourself the card a rig like that deserves. You will be extrmemely happy with the results. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes i know my card is crappy. I was running laptop before this computer. My laptop was stolen when someone broke in my house one night and took it and my PDA my Ipod and knocked over my 50 inch high def TV.The laptop cost 3000 bucks. it had Athlon 64 X2 4800+ duel core processor,2gb Dual Channel DDR 400 mhz,Geforce go 7800 GTX 256 mb videocard. I got after i finished school since i already have a car. So my uncle sent my his back up computer. He works for a software company in Dallas Texas. It doesn't seem like im going to get my laptop back so i just have to work with what i got. Ill have a better videocard sometime soon i hope.

CD_kp84yb
01-27-2006, 01:40 AM
Nice to hear what kind a rig you have, thats an awesome one.
The 9800XT256 i have is a Asus, i dont know how the coolers are today on the newest vid cards.
I dont like heat in my rig so i modified my vidcard.
Dam these are good coolers ATI silencers, shame that the ramcooling they come with are ****.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f163/cd_kp84yb/DSCF0009.jpg

The GPU runs 35 to 38 degrees celsius in IL2.

The ram side cooler i made myself its like the ati silencer .

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f163/cd_kp84yb/DSCF0010.jpg

Now the envirement runs at 33 to max 36 Celsius under IL2 .
Ow and overclocking using ATItool , i cant get lots of faster, but i think there is no need here, the card is pretty fast.

Regards