PDA

View Full Version : Noob with some questions

GhostDog645
07-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Hello, gang. Got a few questions ya'll might help me with . . .

1. My father is an avid player. He says a POV hatswitch will never do, that I need to use a mouse to look around if I ever plan to be effective in online play. However, He plays with a joystick and keyboard, while I have a Saitek X45 HOTAS setup. Obviosly using the mouse to look around would defeat the whole point of HOTAS. Opinions?
2. It seems that several of the planes' penchant for stalls and spinning is overdone. While I am a noob to IL2, I am a veteran flight sim pilot, and was suprised at the willingness of some of these planes flip and spin out as quickly as they do . . . am I missing something?
3. I have reached the point where I can down an AI ace fairly easily, but usually can't survive past the first head-on if I am facing more than one. My father says I need to get to the point where I can take on three AI Aces and win before I'd have a chance in online play. Any suggestions on how to train, or references to tactics, training missions, etc, that might help me reach that point? Are there noob servers for those of us who are new and DON'T want to spend all of they're online play either taking of and reaching altitude or spiraling back down to earth in flames?
4. Finally, I have adjusted the input for my joystick for all three axes, but still am having problems "walking" my nose across a target using rudder. It's difficult to find and maintain a constant rudder using the rudder rocker on the X45 throttle. Is this not a good rudder to use? Should I buy separate rudder pedals, or will this ability come with practice?

Thanks for your time.

Crash_Moses
07-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Welcome!

1. There's a handy little program called Newview that should help. It emulates TrackIR in a way. Other solution is TrackIR which can be expensive.

2. Dunno...IL-2 isn't perfect...what planes are you having problems with?

3. Fly bombers!

4. Practice but rudders help. You may also have to tweak your joystick. There's a joystick utility in Bearcat's essentials list that should help.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=51910959

S!

Taylortony
07-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I use a pov hat fine.. u want the settings I have it set to?

spinning etc you can reduce the stick sensitivity, but i find it better to learn it as reducing it can make you canoon fodder.

the best way to learn before you go online is simply to go online......... it might be a steep learning curve to start with but it is the quickest way to do it.......... remember the average online player is less intelligent that the AI item http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I vary rarely use the rudder for that. I simply fly the plane, using the rudder keeps you on an even plane so to say and makes you a better target for the AI guns.....

Welcome to the Forums and we hope we hear more from you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

GhostDog645
07-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Crash_Moses- -
I have flown p-40's, F4U Corsair, and the Zero. Only the Zero seems to be pretty stable, and the F4U is like wrestling aligators . . .

Taylortony-
I have been using a profile for the X45 I found a link to here on the forum, can't remember who created it, but it's a great profile. I don't recall that you can change settings for the POV hat, other than what each position does. Are you talking about changing sesitivity settings?

I have read that in fact, online players are generall MUCH better than the AI. Is this not the case?

My father is chomping at the bit to fly against me . . . having seen him play, I'm like: "Yea, I'll fly a P-51D and you can fly a brewster, then MAYBE it'll be even . . . "

Crash_Moses
07-05-2007, 04:10 PM
hehe...roger that. I'm just partial to bombers...always looking for converts. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I think Taylertony was just yanking your chain about the AI IQ...although I'm sure it's true in some cases. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Taylortony
07-05-2007, 04:47 PM
I mean my POV allows you to scan fully around the cockpit ans also externally as well.. great for skinning
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Off to bed will check thread tomorrow.....

I stand by some AI pilots being more intelligent than the real deal http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

GhostDog645
07-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Well, I can fully scan both cockpit and outside as well, what is difficult is following a target around the canopy. For instance, I have four directons to scan using the POV hat, up, down, left, right, whereas with a mouse there is no limit to the direction my head turns as I follow a target . . .

Lurch1962
07-05-2007, 05:30 PM
So I guess yours is a 4-way, and not an 8-way hat? Either way, the aforementioned Newview utility will allow you to use your hat as a panning device, and not be limited to just the fixed, cardinal directions you have now. Be warned, using NewView initially can be a wee bit confusing perhaps, but it's a good alternative if you don't have a TrackIR set-up.

As for keeping track of a bandit, have you tried the padlock feature? In a swirling fight, it sure reduces the workload for you.

And remember, there's a control called something like "InstantViewForwardWithPadlock" (I've probably made its name more complicated here, as this is from memory). You'll have to bind a key yourself, I'm fairly sure. This control works as follows:

You've padlocked a plane, but after a few moments of aerial gyrations you're not sure which way your plane's oriented. Press and hold this key to instantly look forward so to get your bearings (you can hold it for as long as you wish--the padlock won't be lost). Once re-oriented, release the key and your view will swing back to face the padlocked bandit. (Of course, if the bad guy's hidden, for ex., by your plane for more than several seconds, the padlock will be lost, and you'll have to maneuver and/or pan your view to regain a visual so that you can activate the padlock again.

--Lurch--

Crash_Moses
07-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Good advice. The hatswitch will work fine for looking around (to check your six for example) but once the fight is on...lacking anything like TrackIR...padlock is the way to go.

Also...and this is a bit of an exploit...you can use padlock to locate the enemy before you've actually spotted them. Just hit the padlock key occasionaly and if it locks onto something you've found the enemy. The enemy needs to be fairly close but they're hard to spot sometimes in the ground clutter if you're above them.

Matz0r
07-05-2007, 05:46 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif You can map the thumbstick on your X-45 throttle to move your mouse cursor and view.

Billy_DeLyon
07-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Hi Ghostdog-

I have a X45 too. Before I got TrackIR I had the X45 hat switches set up to look around with the lower hat switch for the horizontal visual plane and the upper hat for looking around up at 45 degree angle. Plus, on the throttle control there is a small black knob (I forget what they call it) that you can use the Saitek profile editor to set to "mouse view." Then you can use it to look around at will, although it is a bit slower than the actual mouse. The combination of the hats and the "throttle-thumb-mouse" worked pretty well for me. I've never gotten into using padlock.

TrackIR is a hefty investment at almost US$200 but it's worth it if you can afford it, especially if you intend to go online. Not only does it help your combat SA but greaty adds to the immersion factor too.

Airmail109
07-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Your wrestling your aircraft to hard and losing energy, if your having trouble with the corsair.

The zeke is stable because it has a low-wing loading (high drag), and is designed for Turn and Burn flying.

The corsair is designed for Energy fighting or Boom n Zoom, where you use your speed and energy to your advantage. It trades wing loading, for a higher speed and better energy retention. Therefore you should be more gentle with it and use its traits accordingly.

My guess is if your stalling the corsair out all the time, because your pulling all the way back on the stick or flying in such a way that your hearing that "wind buffeting" sound every time you turn! Smoothness and keeping hold of your energy is the key!!!

Good luck with the sim! Hope you stick about!

VW-IceFire
07-05-2007, 05:53 PM
1) I just use the POV hat switch on my X-52. I'm tempted to try the mouse hat stick on the HOTAS but I haven't gotten into the habit just yet. TrackIR is the ultimate apparently but I've never tried one.

2) It may not be 100% accurate but its probably pretty close. WWII fighters were in many cases notoriously dangerous in a stall...even the gentler ones. I do find that the default stick setup is too sensitive so it may be more the stick sensitivity that is the problem. Dial down the settings in the input controls (in game) and see if that helps. I spent almost a week in and out of this area till I found settings that I was happy with for the X-52.

3) Having a chance in online play is somewhat subjective I think. The AI aces are both excellent and stupid at the same time. They make some really killer shots in odd angles but they don't think very well. Humans tend to be the other way where the shooting is obviously less mechanical (although some people are just crazy good) but more thinking tends to be involved. On the other hand the average pilot I run into online is neither good with shooting like AI nor thinking like a good online pilot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'd say if you can enter into a 8 versus 8 Ace battle (Aces on all sides) and manage to either live or at least shoot one or two down before either running or being crippled then you are in very good shape to play online.

Also remember that there are many servers with many different settings. Something like 334th is somewhat relaxed on the settings, the bases are very close, and its typically aimed at new pilots who don't know much in the way of tactics or technique and just want to get shooting quickly. UK-Dedicated1 and 2 are relaxed to middle (UK-D2 is sort of the middle) while WarClouds or Historia or 109 vs Spitfire or that type are middle to hard. Even then...the settings don't always tell the whole story. Some fantastic pilots on 334th that manage to avoid the massed swarming low altitude dogfight and score some kills with no losses and utterly new pilots on WarClouds who are more targets than anything.

I'd say jump on now...you know the controls (sounds like it) and you can shoot the AI down somewhat reliably. Try your hand against some humans online in different locations and see what that is like. Its a far less predictable battle but it can be easier or harder.

I might suggest UK-Dedicated1...I've been flying there and UK-D2 for a long time...good folks, scenario based maps with ground targets and objectives, but the maps are generally not too far apart (UK-D2 has slightly longer flight times I think but its usually no more than 4-5 minutes between base and some good activity on the ground or air) and there are many regulars who are happy to help when they can.

4) I've heard differing opinions about the X-45s rudder rocker. Never tried one so I don't know what its like.

Bearcat99
07-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by GhostDog645:
Hello, gang. Got a few questions ya'll might help me with . . .

1. My father is an avid player. He says a POV hatswitch will never do, that I need to use a mouse to look around if I ever plan to be effective in online play. However, He plays with a joystick and keyboard, while I have a Saitek X45 HOTAS setup. Obviosly using the mouse to look around would defeat the whole point of HOTAS. Opinions?

Not neccessarily. If you use the X-45 you can asign any of the 4 hat switches as a mouse..... On my X-45 I used the orange button on my throttle before I got my TIR to act right. While it is true that the mouse pan is the best viewing solution short of TIR IMO... (Track IR is by far THE best viewing solution to date that I have seen.. although Ihear there is a new thing out that could give it some competition.. I havent seen any reviews from simmers yet..) it is not counter to the notion of a HOTAS by a long shot.

2. It seems that several of the planes' penchant for stalls and spinning is overdone. While I am a noob to IL2, I am a veteran flight sim pilot, and was suprised at the willingness of some of these planes flip and spin out as quickly as they do . . . am I missing something?

Take whatever you know from oter sims and fugheddabouddit. Give this sim moretime... you cannot yank & bank in this sim... in some planes it is tricky.. in others it is virtual suicide.

3. I have reached the point where I can down an AI ace fairly easily, but usually can't survive past the first head-on if I am facing more than one. My father says I need to get to the point where I can take on three AI Aces and win before I'd have a chance in online play. Any suggestions on how to train, or references to tactics, training missions, etc, that might help me reach that point? Are there noob servers for those of us who are new and DON'T want to spend all of they're online play either taking of and reaching altitude or spiraling back down to earth in flames?

Head on + ACE AI = virtual death

See the nugget's guide in my sig or stickied at the top of this board. Also... taking on 3 ace AI is not as important as being able to hit what you shoot at, contol your plane and know it's limitations and use all of the sim to improve. Online you will find every mixture of pilot from Ace AI to rookie AI and several points above, below and between that.

4. Finally, I have adjusted the input for my joystick for all three axes, but still am having problems "walking" my nose across a target using rudder. It's difficult to find and maintain a constant rudder using the rudder rocker on the X45 throttle. Is this not a good rudder to use? Should I buy separate rudder pedals, or will this ability come with practice?

I highly... HIGHLY recommend that you get a set of rudderpedals. I have used both CH and Saitek.. and IMO the Saiteks are better. They are smoother, offer a wider stance, and have a tension adjustment and a fotsize adjustment. The rudder rocker is ok.. but if you are even sligtly serious about simming get some pedals. Also get a Track IR. I would get the pedals first though.. but put both of them on your list.

Thanks for your time.

No problem...

BrotherVoodoo
07-05-2007, 11:03 PM
My father says I need to get to the point where I can take on three AI Aces and win before I'd have a chance in online play.

If you can take off and land from base or ship plus you can take down an ace AI? You will be fine online. You will learn allot there and meet some nice folks. Playing against real "breathers" is far more enjoyable than an ace ai. Get teamspeak and hyperlobby installed then check it out.

ElSjonnie
07-06-2007, 01:33 AM
- He says a POV hatswitch will never do

Sure it will, but trackIR is obviously superior.

- It seems that several of the planes' penchant for stalls and spinning is overdone.

Nah

- My father says I need to get to the point where I can take on three AI Aces and win before I'd have a chance in online play.

Huh? lol.

ake109
07-06-2007, 01:44 AM
Online, I find teamwork and numbers really important.

I am still a noob but have easily shot down experts* when he was distracted by another teammate or caught in a bad position after dog-fighting another teammate.

*well, experts insofar as they always toast me when I meet them un-distracted.

GhostDog645
07-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Thank you all for your replies. Looks like TrackIR and a set of pedals is going on the wish list . . . http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif