PDA

View Full Version : Flying Machine 2.0 Rant

Daarklyte
04-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Okay, I love the AC series and really enjoy the gameplay overall, but in AC:B there are a number of missions where the 100% sync goal is mean-spirited in its setup. The best example is Flying Machine 2.0.

The Full Sync goal is "Do not get shot while using the Bomber." In and of itself, it is not a bad challenge choice. The problem is, that if you fail to get it, you have to go all the way back to identifying the architect.

I didn't even mind this so much when I thought all I had to do was destroy the 4 towers. But then there are the 4 carts, and the messenger and perhaps more since I got shot while chasing the messenger and had to start over.

There is adding another layer of challenge and then there is just being mean. I think you crossed the line on this one. The skill set for flying is unto itself, with no other place to practice it. It feels more like a punishment than a challenge.

Please consider giving us a restart from last checkpoint option that clears the failed sync when the mission is especially long or the skill set is specific to just one part of the mission. Otherwise, it's just mean.

-Daarklyte

nouwere
04-27-2011, 09:27 AM
I agree.

I would like also a better handling of the machine. Sometimes it flies so high out of nowhere and the shots don't quite sync with the messenger. I don't know. It's weird.

I own a ps3 version.

Bye.

Rakudaton
04-27-2011, 11:31 AM
I thought that one was really easy. I've played the bomber level about ten times because its so fun, and not once have I been shot. I haven't even specificially tried to get full synch -- it's just easy anyway.

BUT I do agree wholeheartedly with the principle of what you're saying. There should be an option to restart from the last checkpoint where you were in full synch if you fail it. My main gripe is with the tank mission, which is incredibly difficult to get through.

Ureh
04-27-2011, 12:47 PM
I actually think Flying Machine 2.0 is much easier to use. Especially with the slow controls and being able to create your own fire.

Also I've never played that mission without destroying all the archer towers first. I always focus on destroying the archers first (they're very easy to avoid if you only focus on them). Once that's done, the rest of the mission is easy.

Also a really wierd tip if you don't want to restart the mission is to purposely dive and crash. Crashing won't violate the 100% sync condition and you get to start at your latest checkpoint (if I remember correctly, each factory, archer tower, and chariots have their own checkpoints).

Tank mission 100% sync was hard to achieve until I realized that you can hold down the fire button to focus on evasive manuevers and aiming. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Daarklyte
04-27-2011, 03:13 PM
If you fail the sync, it sticks with you even if you crash. The only way to clear a failed sync is to restart the memory.

My complaint is not really about the difficulty of the mission. My complaint is that I am rewound so far back.

To me, this mission really has 3 parts:
1. Find the architect and burn the plans.
2. Infiltrate the Keep.
3. Fly the Bomber.

Each of these parts really requires a different kind of skill set. As proof, look at the mission design:
1. Detection causes desync. In this part you use eagle vision to find the architect and then path around the unaware guards. No killing required.
2. Detection causes desync. In this part the guards are now on alert, but you have to go through the guards. Stealth only killing required.
3. Crashing causes desync. Getting hit causes partial sync. In this part you are in an entirely different set of controls, doing something that is only a tiny portion of the main game.

One could argue that Part 1 and 2 are close enough in type that they could be linked together, but Part 3 is nothing like 1 & 2 and having to do all 3 over again if you get hit is poor design.

In truth, they could have simply fixed this by making Part 1 and 2 one memory with its own full sync goal and Part 3 a separate memory.

The truly frustrating part is that they have separated memories and sync goals in some missions and made it painfully frustrating in other missions.

lilbacchant
04-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Daarklyte:
having to do all 3 over again if you get hit is poor design.

The truly frustrating part is that they have separated memories and sync goals in some missions and made it painfully frustrating in other missions.

Yeppers. I would replay some of the missions (primarily the machine missions) more for full synch, or even just for fun, but having to do the entire mission when only one small part nicks the full synch is just too damn frustrating for me.

Fortunately you could get all of the Christina memories with only 75% total synch, and I had a huge sigh of relief when I found that on wiki during my first playthru, because I was going bonkers trying to full synch the tank, e.g.

Total buzzkilling, immersion-breaking, pita game design in how they implemented full synch ... for me at least.

kriegerdesgottes
04-27-2011, 06:43 PM
agreed. I couldn't stand the flying machine this time. The bombs were an ok add-on but I couldn't stand the controls on this one. It seemed so much better in the last game. I don't even consider replaying that mission anymore because of what you said having to start from the beginning over and over which just doesn't make sense and the controls.

Ureh
04-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Sorry I wasn't specific enough. What I meant was that if you crash before getting shot you will get to restart at yor last checkpoint and you won't have to restart from very beginning to get 100% sync. But just like the tank mission if you get hit then purposely desync you still won't get 100 sync.I dont use this myself but I think some wouldn't mind knowing this.

GunnarGunderson
04-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Not getting hit with the glider was easy, but don't get me started on that tank http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

thomasrox2013
02-06-2014, 01:45 AM
for those of you having a hard time where the tanks double team yours there is an easy solution if you go right behind the desync area (not to far) you wont be desynched and the tanks wont touch you there (easier if you set to tactical) you can shoot the left tank and get rid of the disabled tank and work on the last one where you can lure it to the desync zone as for the bomber ill let you know if i find one. i just tried today have fun.

phoenix-force411
02-06-2014, 01:57 AM
I got the Full sync on first try. use Eagle vision to know where towers are to avoid getting hit. I really like ACB's "Flight Over Venice" OST a lot.

ACLexter
02-06-2014, 10:16 AM
This was actually my problem way back when playing ACB.
Not %100 sync because of this. :(