PDA

View Full Version : How many of you use an Autostart program like FSAutostart?

Wild.Bill.Kelso
02-16-2006, 03:35 PM
I used Enditall for a few years, but have been using FSAutoStart for about a year now for several games and it usually works great. Bug for some reason my FB AEP PF install started crashing when use FSAutoStart recently. I can't figure out what's causing it. I copy my profile from LockOn (which works), but it still crashes.

major_setback
02-16-2006, 04:04 PM
I use it, and recomend it warmly. There's a patch you can get. Otherwise, I've heard that if you have 2 Gig' of memory it won't defragment the working memory (I think... check the thread below); turn this function off if you've got 2 Gig of memory.

Link to the site is in this thread, also a setup tutorial for FS Autostart:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m...631054273#7631054273 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/3201029173/r/7631054273#7631054273)

Wild.Bill.Kelso
02-16-2006, 04:12 PM
I don't defrag the memory for any games I play using it. Is it worth it? I have 1gig of memory.

I have the shortcut pointing to il2fb_new.exe. One of the patches a while back said to try this exe and if it doesn't work to use the il2fb.exe. The new one is 17meg and the regualar one is only 220k. Right now I have those two exes and also the il2.exe in the install folder. The game has played fine with the il2fb_new.exe for a long time now. It only crashes if I use FSAutoStart.

PS: The exact error I receive is:
Fatal Error: Crash during termination

major_setback
02-17-2006, 06:20 AM
This might be an issue that's been adressed by the patch. Have you patched FSAutostart yet?

The patch fixes an issue where you couldn't set more than one path at a time to a certain game.
I had trouble using FSAtostart with a seperate version of 4.01m (FB/PF) that I had on my computer; the patch fixed this.

I don't use the 'new' exe. I thought that that was a remnant from an older version of the game. I remember we had a trial 'new exe' with one of the patch/downoads (before 4.01m I think, but I can't remember which patch it was exactly).
Does anyone else know what the 'new exe' is?

bogusheadbox
02-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Well i don't know about you. But when i did it, i seemed to get worse performance. I now don't use it anymore and just close programs i know i can close.

I tried a different combination of requested processes to stop/restart, to even not stopping any and just defragging the memory.

But perfomace for me is best when i only shut down items i know i can shut down in task manager and just play.

The game runs fine just like that.

Dr...Watson
02-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Tried a few, FPS or stutters didn't change. It runs smooth without these programs so I never bother.

DudeAbides82
02-19-2006, 02:17 PM
I had been using FSAutostart, but then started doing a clean boot through msconfig.exe. I'm not sure what the difference is.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
02-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by DudeAbides82:
I had been using FSAutostart, but then started doing a clean boot through msconfig.exe. I'm not sure what the difference is. msconfig.exe does the same thing with programs only, not services. FSAutoStart also lets you pick all the Services you want to stop. But with msconfig.exe you have to go and pick the programs not to run every time and then reboot. With FSAutostart, it remembers your choices and you also don't have to reboot.

TAW_Oilburner
02-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Here's a tip:

Use it to start something like Notepad.exe or some other program which uses almost no resources. Doing this, you can just have one profile for whatever you want and then it doesn't automatically restart everything when you get out of a game (especially in matches, etc... when you will be re-joining after a server re-set or similiar.

major_setback
02-20-2006, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by TAW_Oilburner:
Here's a tip:

Use it to start something like Notepad.exe or some other program which uses almost no resources. Doing this, you can just have one profile for whatever you want and then it doesn't automatically restart everything when you get out of a game (especially in matches, etc... when you will be re-joining after a server re-set or similiar.

How does that work? Could you explain that in more detail....which steps you take.
How do you get from notepad to the game?
Why does't FSAutostart re-start everything after playing BF/PF, is this because you return to notepad?
Do you have to set FB/PF as a secondary program to start after notepad has opened (I believe you can setup FSAutostart to do this)?

Wild.Bill.Kelso
02-20-2006, 06:35 AM
I think what TAW is saying is you just setup a profile in FSAutostart to run Notpad.exe, that's it. You pick what Programs/Services you want Stopped/Restarted and it just will run Notepad.exe. Leave Notepad Open and FSAutostart will just sit there saying 'Waiting for Application to Terminate'. Now you can and run your game manually, while FSAutostart is waiting for Notepad to finish. You can even close the game and the Programs/Services won't automatically restart because they are waiting for Notepad to be closed, not your game.

TAW_Oilburner
02-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Wild.Bill.Kelso:
I think what TAW is saying is you just setup a profile in FSAutostart to run Notpad.exe, that's it. You pick what Programs/Services you want Stopped/Restarted and it just will run Notepad.exe. Leave Notepad Open and FSAutostart will just sit there saying 'Waiting for Application to Terminate'. Now you can and run your game manually, while FSAutostart is waiting for Notepad to finish. You can even close the game and the Programs/Services won't automatically restart because they are waiting for Notepad to be closed, not your game.

exactly...

Inadaze
02-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by TAW_Oilburner:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wild.Bill.Kelso:

exactly... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can configure FSautostart to not launch any application in the configure section; highlight your profile, then click the configure button. In there choose "Do not launch any app, just pause". Then when you run FS it will optimize as normal and then pause, saying press any key to continue, don't press anything cause it makes fs restart all your programs and services, just minmise the window. When you want to restart ya progs and services just restore the window and press a key.

major_setback
02-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Wild.Bill.Kelso:

Clever!
I'll try this. Thanks.

FSAutoStart works really well for me, my system is getting slightly out of date and needs all the help it can get. I do get tired of starting and stopping it though, I suppose this way you wouldn't have to configure it for every game you have either.

hurricane33000
02-20-2006, 05:40 PM
I'am still useing msconfig and it does stop service's,I bring up msconfig ,check selective startup,uncheck process system INI file, uncheck process WIN INI file and uncheck load startup items.
Then go to sevices check disable all , then check hide all Microft services.Then hit ok.Then restart.
Been doing this for years and all my flight sims work great.
It seems so much simpler than Fs autostart,which the first time I tried to use it it turned my instrument panels black and would not restart the programs after I rebooted. I had to manually restart all the programs and services , I probley don't know how to use it ,but msconfig seems so much simpler and faster and my sims work great.
I also defrag every week and before I run any game or sim.

major_setback
02-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by hurricane33000:
I'am still useing msconfig and it does stop service's,I bring up msconfig ,check selective startup,uncheck process system INI file, uncheck process WIN INI file and uncheck load startup items.
Then go to sevices check disable all , then check hide all Microft services.Then hit ok.Then restart.

Been doing this for years and all my flight sims work great.
It seems so much simpler than Fs autostart,which the first time I tried to use it it turned my instrument panels black and would not restart the programs after I rebooted. I had to manually restart all the programs and services , I probley don't know how to use it ,but msconfig seems so much simpler and faster and my sims work great.

I don't know what you're doing wrong. I never have a problem...if the thing hangs I can just pull the plug on the comp' and everything restarts without a problem, even if it crashed in the middle of stopping programs.

The beuty of FSAutoStart is that you can quit the game and have eveythin re-start for you (as well as you can stop services, and defrag the memory).

I was just online with loads of programs and serices stopped, and all I had to do was quit the game and go strait to this forum...no pushing of any buttons to re-start anything. Everything re-starts just on quitting Hyperlobby.

DudeAbides82
03-06-2006, 08:14 PM
I had to manually restart all the programs and services , I probley don't know how to use it ,but msconfig seems so much simpler and faster and my sims work great.

I started using msconfig when I couldn't get another sim to run right. The name of which shouldn't be mentioned in this forum. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I also defrag every so often, but you do it before you run the sim every time? Man, it takes a long time to defrag...If I had a sudden urge to fly, there's no way I could stare at that defrag screen waitingggg fooorrr iiittt toooo fiiinnniiiishhhh..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

PF_Coastie
03-06-2006, 09:20 PM
If you have 2GB of memory, there is absolutely NO reason you would need a program like this. Just the tiniest bit of good PC protocol is all you need.

Now that said, when I had 1GB of ram, I used it and it is a good proggy. The only reason I used it was becuase I often hosted large coop missions and I wanted to be sure everyone got a smooth server. FSautostart ensured I would have all the ram available that I needed for the game before I started the mission.

So, unless you are very careless with 2gb of ram and you run AIM, leave your email open, leave internet exploroer open and download MP3's on limeware while playing, then you do not need a proggy like this.

msalama
03-06-2006, 10:24 PM
But when i did it, i seemed to get worse performance.

Same here, as strange as it may sound. I don't know if I was inadvertently killing processes that were needed, too, but stuttering and pauses were clearly worse with it. And yes, I tried to do everything as instructed too!

Go figure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

It was different with the old version and my old computer, however. Clearly helped there, but it was an AMD Athlon 1.3GHz / 512MB running Win98...