PDA

View Full Version : Flaps on a slider...question? (Ki-84? Others?)

SithSpeeder
07-12-2006, 09:15 AM
No, I'm not trying to bring up whether this is fair on Full flap only aircraft (like the spit), so if you want to debate that, move along and start your own thread.

I do have flaps mapped to a slider (in game settings) because I find it more realistic and I mostly fly US planes. But the other night, I was in a Ki-84 and it just didn't work. The flaps would only move when hitting the discrete buttons of flaps up and flaps down.

I think this may be a bug, but I wanted to confirm with others before I start trying to petition Oleg or anything.

* Speeder *

justflyin
07-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Just a couple of quick questions...

Was this right after a spawn? Or after flying and possibly getting damaged?

I always use flaps on a rotary and I've never noticed it not working in any plane. I know I've flown all three Ki-84s recently and seem to recall flaps working with no issue, but I'll test again tonight.

VW-IceFire
07-12-2006, 09:23 AM
I have my flaps on a slider...on the X-52 throttle. Its just so nice to be able to use something physical to slide them up and down. I'm not much for using them in combat except on the Mustang and Lightning...I haven't had a problem using them on the Ki-84...which has real combat flaps as well.

I'll test them out. The Ki-84 and Ki-100 has a slider in the actual cockpit I believe....

justflyin
07-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Yes, I said rotary, but I use the slider on the throttle section of my X-52 as well for flaps. Elevator trim for the thumb rotary and prop pitch on the big rotary on top of the throttle unit. ;^)

SithSpeeder
07-12-2006, 10:12 AM
This was a brand new plane, sitting on the ground. Online or offline, it doesn't seem to work (flaps on slider)--only the discrete buttons of up or down seemed to work.

The initial give-away was that I didn't hear the flaps moving when in-plane. Then, I used external views to verify that it didn't work, either.

I'm pretty much setup like justflyin is on my X-52.

I'm interested to see if your results are the same when you test in-game.

* _54th_Speeder *

SlickStick
07-12-2006, 08:34 PM
They indeed work fine for me using a slider. I did notice it's not the "swooshing" sound other flaps make, but a much quieter mechanical sound.

Also, the sound of the effect is very low and was hard for me to hear above the engine, until I turned up the volume and watched from externals to confirm they were indeed moving while assigned to a HOTAS slider.

VW-IceFire
07-13-2006, 06:16 AM
I checked it...no problem. They do take their time in deploying but you can plainly see them from the cockpit because they are butterfly configuration flaps.

HotelBushranger
07-13-2006, 06:48 AM
Please man, don't say 'on a slider'...you'll awaken the beast http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

FunGus1968
07-13-2006, 07:57 AM
I mapped my trim to the left and right mouse buttons and the prop pitch to the wheel. It feels very comfortale for me because I dont have track IR.

The mouse buttons actually function as a wheel. You can keep your finger on the button and the trim will continue to increase or decrease.

I also mapped flaps to the thumb controls on the stick that are by default used to look around. By using the mouse to scan, I can dogfight without having to take my hands off the mouse or stick.

SithSpeeder
07-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Well, it's working fine now (bizarre, but true).

I swear to you that I spent over an hour messing with it and it did NOT work on the Ki-84 only...for some reason. I then spent over an hour messing with banding the slider and programming the bands so it would work kinda like I wanted it to.

Now, the same profile works fine (and I am red in the face embarassed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif ). Dunno what to say except thanks to those who tried it for me.

* _54th_Speeder *

justflyin
07-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Sith, put down the bong and step away sloooooooowly. ;^)

Hehe, j/k man.

I once flew an I-16 for twenty minutes with the gear down because I swore my manual gear key wasn't working. Unfortunately, it was because I was tapping the "G" key, doh. :^(

A few too many beers that night.