PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please help me understand something about sound?

JG51Beolke
11-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Hi All,

Until know, I've been wondering why I've been getting slight pauses while speech loaded once in a while. I've been running FB/AEP/PF with 16 channel sound and Full Hardware Acceleration. I turned hardware acceleration down one notch last night and no pauses with speech at all and still with 16 channels. Today, I saw Hunter's post about using 32 channel sound so I turned hardware accel back up to full and changed FB/AEP/PF to 32 channel sound and, supprisingly, no slight pauses when speech loaded.

So, I guess my question is, By running the game with 32 channels, are you opening up more bandwith for the sound, so to speak? Where 16 channels may have been causing a bottleneck of sorts?

Any understanding would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!!

Nige_Reconman
11-10-2004, 05:31 PM
I'm simplfying it greatly but consider that a channelallows the passage of sound more channels = more sound. Some games require 32 channels because the sounds they want to produce consists of a lot of data, if you halve the channel to 16 then you are occluding half the potential sound. Not a problem if there is only 1 sound but make it more and thing start to run into each other.

JG51Beolke
11-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Very good simple explaination. It explains a whole lot.

Thanks a bunch

CapBackassward
11-10-2004, 10:07 PM
So, 32 channels + 22 htz bitrate = fastest possible quality sound setup and no stutter to fps. Wow! And all this time I was simply setting it at 8 channels and 22 htz figuring it was the minimum/fastest possible setup.

Good question. Never really thought it thru. Good explanation Nige_R....

Rick
should be a sticky...

JG51Beolke
11-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Good, I'm happy I raised the question as well. All this time, I thought, less channels, better performance, but all your doing is bottlenecking your sound. But I guess, it all depends if your system and sound device is up to the challenge.

Nige_Reconman
11-11-2004, 08:41 AM
There are a few other thigs to consider as well. With older games having too many channels open can give you the same choppy problem as having not enough open.

Whenever you have a problem in sound try adjusting the channels first and the the KHz (which is a whole different discussion as well)

By turning down hardware acceleration you're asking the card to stop using features that improve performance and defeats the purpose of having a soundcard in the first place. If everything else fails sure start cranking down the hardware acceleration tab and then wait for new drivers or a patch for the game/software/card that's causing the problem

Extreme_One
11-11-2004, 08:49 AM
I too noticed the pauses and they do disappear with 32 Channels activated.

JG51Beolke
11-11-2004, 02:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Extreme_One:
I too noticed the pauses and they _do_ disappear with 32 Channels activated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least now I know I wasn't going crazy or chasing down ghosts. I knew there had to be a solution with such powerful computers these days.

Hunter82
11-11-2004, 04:08 PM
I guess I still have some value lol