PDA

View Full Version : What does the Radiator mean? And what's the use for it?

Tuskegee1989
07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Well? I press the R button for the Raditor but I really don't see any different changes. Just on the side of the screen , It just changes to Radiator 2 , 4 , 6. Open and close and etc.

RegRag1977
07-09-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm not an expert at all...but it's a good question.

It's a device to help the engine to cool itself, some guys here will explain it better than me and in better english. Without radiator or cooling system the engine would reach a dangerous temperature and even seize or explode.

The more it is open the more it allows cold outside air to cool the engine. The number help to know how wide you open it: the widest setting is better for cooling but causes drag and thus performance loss.

here are some pics i found:

this is how a me 410 radiator looks from the rear:
http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll457/RegRag77/06-410_4.jpg

this is the Spitfire radiator:
http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll457/RegRag77/cc0007.jpg

(rectangular device under the wing)

ffb
07-09-2008, 07:15 PM
on some a/c when you open the radiator it opens cowl flaps around the engine compartment (usually with radial engines)...and with others like in-line or V engines it opens a flap or flaps behind the radiator box to allow more airflow to cool the engine via the coolant liquid which flows to and from the radiator

if you look at external views you can see the flaps opening/closing

What....don't you own a car...or are you too young?

Bearcat99
07-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Do you have complex engine management on?

RegRag1977
07-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by ffb:

The problem with normal cars is that all the engine structural parts are well hidden under the cowling: one have to look directly at the engine to ask the question "hey, strange, what is this".

The aircraft (WW2 in-line engine) are generaly less compact and the different engine parts (intercooler radiators can better be seen they are more striking)...
The way the Fw190A radial engine is built seems more logical and more compact to me (with its annular radiator direcly in front of the engine) than any other WW2 aircraft (with the Seafury being a notable exception), and this is why i find this bird so pure and beautiful! It looks certainly more structurally perfect than many other AC, imho that is.

WTE_Galway
07-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Opening/closing the Radiator has four effects depending on the aircraft.

1. (The obvious one) open radiator cools the engine better.

2. (Fairly obvious) most but not all aircraft lose a touch off top speed with radiator open. P51 is exception.

3. (less obvious but easily proven) many aircraft, the Lagg being a classic example, handle like crap at low speed with the radiator open.

4. (controversial and hard to prove/disprove) Some people claim the damage model in the game simulates radiator cowl open making the engine more vulnerable to damage from hits. According to this theory closing the radiator in game protects the engine.

OD_
07-10-2008, 08:49 AM
It keeps the pilot warm http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SeaFireLIV
07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
Opening/closing the Radiator has four effects depending on the aircraft.

1. (The obvious one) open radiator cools the engine better.

2. (Fairly obvious) most but not all aircraft lose a touch off top speed with radiator open. P51 is exception.

3. (less obvious but easily proven) many aircraft, the Lagg being a classic example, handle like crap at low speed with the radiator open.

4. (controversial and hard to prove/disprove) Some people claim the damage model in the game simulates radiator cowl open making the engine more vulnerable to damage from hits. According to this theory closing the radiator in game protects the engine.

That`s about it.

Tuskegee1989, maybe you have complex engine management off? Because it`s pretty easy to see the advantage of radiater open when your engine starts overheating.

Kurfurst__
07-10-2008, 10:02 AM

I think this is only true for the Il-2 armored radiator grids.

Jaws2002
07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by RegRag1977:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ffb:

The way the Fw190A radial engine is built seems more logical and more compact to me (with its annular radiator direcly in front of the engine) than any other WW2 aircraft (with the Seafury being a notable exception), and this is why i find this bird so pure and beautiful! It looks certainly more structurally perfect than many other AC, imho that is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The FW-190 has a radial engine and is air cooled.It has no liquid coolant. The air just enter through the cowling (in the 190 case helped by a fan), passes between the cylinders, cools them down and exits through the exit slots on the side of the fuselage, just behind the engine.
The annular radiator you are talking about is the oil cooler in the 190A. The 190D has anular radiator for coolant.

major_setback
07-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I use it in the winter. It keeps me warm.

http://www.naturalnews.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/radiator.jpg

;-)

Seriously. The radiator works like the one on a car. You can see the similarity in this photo. Air passing through the radiator filaments cools the liquid inside them, and that liquid circulates through the engine.

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/hist/kuvat/ww2history-bre14-hansa2.jpg

Saburo_0
07-20-2008, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Kurfurst__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

I think this is only true for the Il-2 armored radiator grids. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think SOP was to close radiators when attacking to prevent debris from causing damage.
but i could be wrong.

Tully__
07-21-2008, 06:36 AM
What Kurfurst and Saburo_0 said, the IL2 radiator shutter was armour plate and SOP for ground attack in IL2's was to shut the radiator shutter to protect the radiator... from the front. There was no shutter at the back.
This is in theory modeled for this aircraft type in the game.

Taylortony
07-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by major_setback:
;-)

Seriously. The radiator works like the one on a car. You can see the similarity in this photo. Air passing through the radiator filaments cools the liquid inside them, and that liquid circulates through the engine.

Actually its air passing over the "filaments"

The tubes are the vertical sections of the radiator, the horizontal finning between these is there to increase the effective surface area of the tubing thus increasing the cooling efficency, Radiator is derived from the term to radiate heat, though a heat exchanger would be a more efficent description. Not all are just for coolant, some are also Oil........

Even Jet engines of today have heat exchangers, though you will never normally see them, they tend to be FCOC's which is Fuel Cooled Oil Coolers, the advantage of these is they are smaller, they cool the oil by using the cold fuel heading into the engine instead of air, this increased the temp of the fuel prior to being burnt which is an advantage, so it is a win win situation.