PDA

View Full Version : Flying wing...why so slow?

shahram177
03-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Here is some interesting info, fyi stuff;
http://www.roswellfiles.com/FOIA/FlyingWing.htm

But here is the question, ok the thing has two nice engines, no tail and is as slick as ice.
So why is it so dam slow?
Can hardly break 400mph in level flight.

ElAurens
03-22-2007, 02:02 PM
It's not slick as ice.

It has a rather thick, drag inducing wing.

All this has been covered many times here, with the usual flames in the threads.

The basic fact is that flying wings are high lift/high drag airframes.

To date no flying wing has broken the sound barrier.

shahram177
03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
It's not slick as ice.

It has a rather thick, drag inducing wing.

All this has been covered many times here, with the usual flames in the threads.

The basic fact is that flying wings are high lift/high drag airframes.

To date no flying wing has broken the sound barrier.
DOH!
So totally didn't think of the thickness of the wing! My bad! Dang it!

berg417448
03-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by shahram177:

But here is the question, ok the thing has two nice engines, no tail and is as slick as ice.

It will go a lot faster than that. Are you confusing Indicated airspeed with True airspeed? I just tried QMB and got 920 kph which converts to what...570 mph or so? It does accelerate slowly.

shahram177
03-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by berg417448:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shahram177:

It will go a lot faster than that. Are you confusing Indicated airspeed with True airspeed? I just tried QMB and got 920 kph which converts to what...570 mph or so? It does accelerate slowly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When compared to the other jets it's as slow as some of the Russian jets and it's top seed is well blow any of the German Jets.
And that's just in trying to fly in formation or chasing some one. They just seem to pull away. But it's all due to the fact that this girl is a bit thick.

tigertalon
03-22-2007, 03:16 PM
It accelerates slowly and burns E rapidly in any kind of maneouver (due to high AoA), yet its max speed is respectable. Just climb a bit after t/o and pile up speed in a shallow dive. BTW, if you keep it above 700 or so kph, you will never overheat even on max throttle (that's for any jet AFAIK).

VW-IceFire
03-22-2007, 04:22 PM
On the other hand...it can dump energy really well and you can pull some impressive break turns that put the enemy out in front of your gunsights...if only for a moment. Still faster than a prop if you hold the energy.

shahram177
03-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Still another thing i noted about this little flat pig....she doesn't flat spin easily!
Infact I would day say it's darn near impossible to flat spin the little girl!

Waldo.Pepper
03-26-2007, 02:29 PM
darn near impossible

I can flat spin anything! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Xiolablu3
03-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Very slow at accelerating, as are most of the German Jets.

Make sure you get up to speed before you enter any fight.

shahram177
03-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Very slow at accelerating, as are most of the German Jets.

Make sure you get up to speed before you enter any fight.
I'm having a major brain fart but the single engine german fighers...god i forgot the name....is fast as a bat out of hell! And it's engines are amazing! You can beat the piss out of them and they hardly explode...well except for take offs and the usual snuff out but other than that they are great.
While the flying wings engines are a bit more dainty.

Sergio_101
03-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Yes, Flying wings tend to be thick.
They tend to generate more lift than wanted.
The change of CL of lift in the trans sonic
regime makes a true flying wing a sub somic affair.

I would guess a delta flying wing could do it.
Modern engines and electronics may allow it.
But there is no point in persuing it.

Sergio

M2morris
03-27-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm not too sure but if memory srves me I believe Edwards AFB in CA was name after a guy who died in a YB-49 while test flying one. I geuss it had a structural failure or something. ( I bet this has been beaten to death already)But I stuk it in there anyway for more beating.

Friendly_flyer
03-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by shahram177:
I'm having a major brain fart but the single engine german fighers...god i forgot the name....is fast as a bat out of hell! And it's engines are amazing!

The Salamnder, a Heinkel machine is a great little plane. Among the jets, it's my absolute favourite. It flew in the war too, it's not a fantasy bird like many of the others.

NSAdonis85
03-28-2007, 02:40 AM
Depends on which Salamander he's talking about Friendly_Flyer.

The A-2 has a Jumo engine (it's attitude is pretty much same as the Me-262's), same for the Gotha.

The later '46 versions have a HeS 011, so they're more forgiving on throttle change.

Another thing: The "no overheat" threshold of the jets changes downwards with alt., on the deck it's ~580km/h.