PDA

View Full Version : 8 Way Hats?

RAF56_BTB
05-12-2005, 05:15 AM
Does any one have the same issues as me with these, where it is almost impossible to use the full 8 way feature. On my CH fighterstick, All 8 ways are relegated to 4 ways Left, Right, up and down. As trying to select any of the angled positions is very difficult to get correct. Bearing in mind that i use trackIR 3 i do not need to use the 8 way hat for views. I was just wondering if anyone had a solution to this or does everyone use them as a four way?

I could think of some pretty good mappings for a full 8 way hat?

And the cannon button (2) on the fighterstick is damm difficult to reach even with large hands?

Best BTB

PBNA-Boosher
05-12-2005, 05:23 AM
My 8 way works fine. I don't have a TrackIR and I still can use the HAT very well.

major_setback
05-12-2005, 05:24 AM
This might help!
See my post in this thread.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/6121061913

You don't have to set the hat-switch positions to 'views', you can map an function to any position on the hat-switch.

As I said in the earlier post (link), first map the hat-swich position to a keypad number using the JOYSTICKS setup, then in the in-game settings map a desired function to that keypad number.

This way you don't have to fiddle with the hat-switch every time you want to set your controls.

Good luck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

RAF56_BTB
05-12-2005, 06:18 AM
Cheers,

So just so i understand map say gear up to keypad 7 and gear down to keypad 1, then use Ch manager to map the joystick to the keypad buttons.

I shall give it a try tonight,

Up until recently i have used the CH quadrant but i am finding this really over complexed and very difficult to locate the correct keys. So i purchased a CH pro throttle yesterday and now need to think about my mappings all over again.

Hopefully i will get a set of Rudder pedals shortly as this is proving to be a big downfull for me at the momment. I had one of the axis on the quadrant emulate rudder control as you can imagine i am all over the place on takeoffs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTB

major_setback
05-12-2005, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by RAF56_BTB:
Cheers,

So just so i understand map say gear up to keypad 7 and gear down to keypad 1, then use Ch manager to map the joystick to the keypad buttons....

BTB

I did this the other way around. By first adjusting the Joystick setup, (by going to PROPERTIES, then 'RECORDER', in Sidewinder FF2 setup and mapping 'KEYPAD 7' to the required hat-switch position), ....

...and THEN the in-game controls settings (mapping 'GEAR-UP' to 'KEYPAD 7').

I should think that it would work just as well if you approached things from the other way around, as you suggest. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If you are not happy with the actions you have assigned to each hat-switch position you can easily change them. All you have to do is map a different action to the appropriate keypad number (in the in-game control settings).

bolillo_loco
05-12-2005, 08:08 AM
I have a cheap 8 button M$ stick that has an 8 way hat that gives me 8 different views and works flawlessly.

horseback
05-12-2005, 09:23 AM
I agree that the 8-way hats on CH Pro Throttle and joysticks are a bit imprecise sometimes when you attempt to reassign them to other functions. As I understand it, they are actually 4-way switches that allow you to select two positions at the same time (i.e.; 0 degrees + 90 degrees = 45 degrees).

This does not lend itself to precise selection of any active controls when you're in a hurry, so I have set my Combatstick's 8-way hat to only 4 settings, for elevator and rudder trims. I tried to work with a full eight, but if you don't hit your mid-positions exactly, you end up activating settings for positions 1, 2, and 3 in series (and God help you if one of the settings is for landing gear or prop pitch 0%).

If you're hellbent to use all eight positions, I suggest that they all be things like Toggle Map, Speedbar, Icons and so on rather than something that might affect your flight charactoristics at a critical moment.

The cannon button issue with a Fighterstick is one I haven't had to deal with, since the Combatstick has a single button #2 at the thumb position, as is right and proper, instead of the heresy of a 4-way. Your options are to reassign Fire Weapons 1 & 2 to your trigger #1, or to move your Cannon assignment to a single button on your Pro Throttle that you find convenient (Button #13 might be a good chice, if you think you can retrain yourself-I believe the Japanese Zero had the cannon triggered at the throttle, so it's not an entirely new concept).

Hope this helps.

cheers

horseback

RAF56_BTB
05-12-2005, 04:37 PM
cheers for the replys,

has anyone managed to get the little mouse on the ch pro throttle to work in IL2?

i have tried to get it too work with the map to no avail..

BTB

leeG727
05-12-2005, 05:04 PM
I run the full CH kit: Fighter Stick, Pro-throttle, Pro-pedals and Quadrant in IL-2. No problem setting up any of the functions, including the mini-stick, using the control manger program. The quadrant’s levers are handy for mixture, pitch, trims and flap controls with the buttons **** landing gear, lights, canopy, hook, chocks and engine start. You may find using the 8-way on the throttle easier to control the views. I run both with and without TrackIR so have the controllers set-up for either situation. I use the mode feature to cycle the trigger between guns, cannon and combined guns and cannon. I use the stick button 2 for rockets and the shift with button 2 for bombs. Great controllers.