PDA

View Full Version : Hey 109 Fans....

Bearcat99
04-04-2005, 09:43 AM
I am reading "I Flew for the Furher" by Heinz Knoke... great read btw... I had to feed my curiosity natch and found this (http://ns33.hosteur.com/~heinzkno/My-Site/Main_Lilo.htm) site. Enjoy.

Bearcat99
04-04-2005, 09:43 AM
I am reading "I Flew for the Furher" by Heinz Knoke... great read btw... I had to feed my curiosity natch and found this (http://ns33.hosteur.com/~heinzkno/My-Site/Main_Lilo.htm) site. Enjoy.

T_O_A_D
04-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Hmm looks interesting, I'll poke about in it later this week.

JG6_Oddball
04-04-2005, 10:29 AM
interesting site, kool pics thnx for the link.

S!

crazyivan1970
04-04-2005, 10:57 AM
It was an interesting book indeed. I`v read it in russian tho. Believe it or not it was translated in 2002 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

stathem
04-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Oddly I just read that book Thursday last, and it was name-checked in a thread at weekend. Prior to picking it up in a bookshop last Tuesday I'd never heard of it before.

It raises some interesting points, including his aquiring a 30mm cannon in mid-43. Does anyone have any info on when the Mk108 entered service?

Check out his quote on Spitfires over southern England in May 1941 -
"The b****** can make such infernally tight turns ; there seems to be no way of nailing them"

lol, sounds familiar. (thats not to start an argument btw)

Grue_
04-04-2005, 11:57 AM
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the story about the recon Spitfire that flew regularly over Norway - There was a bottle of brandy ready to be presented to the pilot that shot it down. When this happened they picked the pilot up in a Storch and shared the brandy with him.

Another good read is the 'War Diary of Helmut Lipfert'. This is a kind of breathless account of his combat experiences and has lots of technical descriptions of combat on the eastern front.

jugent
04-04-2005, 01:06 PM
This book is the most correct book about the air-war. The names, places are correct with some faults because it is written some years after the war.

The very interesting thing is that you can check how the opposite side judged the situation.

The Mustangs that Knoke shoot down over north germany was lost due to bad weather.
Many head to head attacks against bombers was assumed to be selfmurder attacks because the neighbor bomber never saw the Me pass the bomber.
The bombing of the bomber formation was seen as AAA.
The Spitfire pilot who was shoot down over Norway was executed by Gestapo because he escaped from a prison-camp.
Lets hope that the Gestapo-officer payed for this after the war.
I have made some similar scenarios from the book to check.
The bombers shoot me down within seconds.
My 30mm nosegun is not so effective as Knoke stated.

Bearcat99
04-04-2005, 02:27 PM
I also found it intersting that in the begining of the war he spoke of atrocities committed against germans in Poland..... This was the first I herard of that and it was probably propaganda but it sheds a little more light on how Hiotler was able to galvanize the people with smoke and mirrors.

triggerhappyfin
04-04-2005, 02:31 PM
A good read, included in my bookshelf since many of years.

NorrisMcWhirter
04-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Both Knocke and Steinhilper's books are worth reading; the former for the descriptions of combat as much as anything else whereas the latter is more involved with the politics surrounding the LW in the early days of the war.

Both are also an insight into honourable fliers who didn't particularly share their leader's "ideals" and possibly contrary to popular opinion. Knocke's constant brushes with authority indicate this very well.

Cheers,
Norris

Crimea_River
04-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Great book. My copy, an old paperback handed down from my Dad, was printed in 1959 and the price on the cover is 35 cents!

Werre_Fsck
04-04-2005, 07:09 PM
You know what you just did?
My Amazon account just swelled by 120 euros.
That's Euros not $ or yenis or liras or some such.

Went like this: ordered this one book... remembered I don't have the Saburo Sakai's book in bookshelf. Ordered it. Remembered I read the Clostermanns classic from library version, badly interpreted. Ordered the english version. And so on.

Be forever cursed and blessed.
My personal library will be richer but I'll have to survive next month by picking rabbit droppings from nearby park. Highly nutritious.

Bearcat99
04-04-2005, 08:49 PM
LOL.. Sakais book is pretty good too....

p1ngu666
04-04-2005, 09:18 PM
i think frankboy said dec 43 the factory started to produce mk108

maybe he got a test or prototype ?

he was lucky to get shot down so much and survive...

readin typhoon and tempest aces atm, 109 got hit in drop tank and envoloped in flames http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Bearcat99
04-05-2005, 07:34 PM
shameless bump........

karost
04-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Bearcat99 , Thanks for this good link

this book will be my next list ... that I have to read. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S~