PDA

View Full Version : Notoriety too easy?

K0rN b4LL
11-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Just a quick rant about the problems I see with the notoriety system.

Anyone else think its too easy to get rid of your notoriety? One of the things I found fun in the first game was trying to sneak my way through the city without getting seen by the guards. In AC2 all it takes is a couple of downed posters and one bribed herald and the guard magically forgets about you.
I will admit, the system was implemented way better than AC1 but I just think that the posters/heralds/officials shouldn't take away as much notoriety as they do. I think they should have made it so it was like posters = -5%, heralds = -15%, and officials = -25%. This would have made things more realistic and challenging. Though I'm not sure how killing an official would lower notoriety anyway since you would probably make you more wanted. Maybe if they made it a beat-em-up event like in the first game where you had to wait until he was in an area with no guards before you beat him into agreeing to remove some of the charges against you. (Without killing him like in the first game though.)

anyone else have any thoughts on this?

K0rN b4LL
11-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Sorry about spelling, I'm used to forums with an *edit* option.

Phoenix20022003
11-23-2009, 06:48 AM
i agree it was too easy. and by the time you get the capes its even easier. in venice i can do whatever i want and just walk away like it was nothing. gettin chased was half the fun in AC1. i thought of maybe adding "dirty" guards that you can bribe.cant wait for three now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif good topic tho

kew414
11-23-2009, 06:54 AM
This forum does have an edit button. Bottom right of your post, it's the picture of a folder with an eraser on it.

K0rN b4LL
11-23-2009, 07:17 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif....uhhhh, right. Thank you.

Anyway, I just got all 100 feathers and the Auditore cape makes running around way more interesting. I still wish I could have had more chases and stuff during the early parts of the games though.

Edengoth
11-23-2009, 10:26 AM
I was just disappointed that it was a lightswitch system. You are either notorious or incogneto, and there is nothing inbetween. I thought the notoriety would be more dynamic, but it only measures how close you are to flipping the lightswitch the other way.

CluCluxClam
11-23-2009, 11:57 AM
I was just disappointed that it was a lightswitch system. You are either notorious or incogneto, and there is nothing inbetween. I thought the notoriety would be more dynamic, but it only measures how close you are to flipping the lightswitch the other way.

I was disappointed with this as well. Should have made it so guards react to different things. And I have to say, what's the point of teaching you how to blend in when you hardly ever have to? I haven't finished the game entirely yet, but so far I've rarely had to blend in with crowds or had to make my way across the cities stealthily. And the new system is WAY more fun because you have to jump from group to group, so why not embrace that?

K0rN b4LL
12-08-2009, 10:49 PM
*SPOILERS*

Totally, the only time I really had to use cover was getting into the church in southern Tuscany and during the assassination side missions. (Which are way better than the main story missions btw)

Ok, this brings me too a new rant. What happened to being an actual assassin? The most fun thing about the first game were the main assassination missions where you could (usually) plan your method of attack and come at them like an actual predator. In this game the missions just say "Go to this spot, bad guy sees you, kill bad guy as he runs away. P.S. watch out for guards." There is no planning at all. AC2 is less of an assasination game and more of an action game with platforming thrown in. The side missions give you this kind of freedom (again, usually) so why couldn't they let you do things like this in the main missions? I know that after watching the early trailer of taking the flying machine into the palace and killing that Templar I was looking forward to sneaking around the rooftop and pouncing on him while he wasn't looking. But NNOOOOO!!!! We are forced to go to a certain point, watch the badguy taunt Ezio, then run away leaving you to just jump on top of him uncerimoniously. Same thing happened when you killed Francesco. Come on Ubisoft, I know that the game overall is way better than the first but you could still have let us kill the a-holes in the game the way we wanted, right?

-Edit- I would like to take this moment to say that I do love playing AC2, I just can't understand why they had to take the best parts of the first game away from us.

remmus64
12-09-2009, 01:05 AM
I have to agree on the notorious system, way to easy to stay unknown, there should have been a de buff so every time you get re-known you get permanent re-known, thus every time you get known you slowly build up a de buff making it harder and harder to stay incognito

Also on a different note the money system is also horribly broke, a few hours gameplay pouring all your treasure finding and mission rewards into the town and you have more money then you ever need, the use of a money system itself isnīt bad but next time stick to just mission rewards and treasures and skip any kind of system that hands me money without me lifting a finger.

EzioAssassin51
12-09-2009, 01:28 AM
I Agree it's too easy not to be notorious and with all you said in you're posts!
But if you want to have some fun with chases but don't want to be fully notorious you should not rip the posters down!

And i totally think that the Assassinations were too easy in this one! The first one was way harder!

remmus64
12-09-2009, 02:07 AM
And I totally think that the Assassinations were too easy in this one! The first one was way harder!

that's mostly because we have more tools of death in AC2, if he had skills like the jumping hidden blade kill in AC1 quite a few of those assassinations would be quite easy too.

Plus I found AC1 missions too hard, the margin for error was sometimes to slim and it was to easy that even the most tactical plan turned into a open sword fight, often when I played threw AC1 I got a stealth kill on the first story target, every other there after you couldnīt fart within a few meters of target without it going "Assassin!"

Neo_Age
12-09-2009, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Edengoth:

Actually in my experience the guards are more inclined to harrass you if you have any notoriety.

For an example I have jumped right in front of several guard patrols without any Notoriety and they completely ignored me where as if I had any at least one would follow me around to harrass me by litterally pushing me to and frow for a bit before running off.

Other times are if I remove a wanted poster and a patrol saw me one would shout "hey! I saw that!" and try to harrass me, aftwards id get more Notoriety then I tried to remove.

The Guard AI is rather interesting as well. Recall the archers shouting at you that they have orders to kill anyone they find up there? They mean it. On at least one occasion I was chasing a mail bag running up a ladder, a guard spotted him first and actually killed him before I could get to him.

There is alot of things concerning the guards and Notoriety system that seem to be hidden here and there that overall add to the whole.

Finally, in regards to the mission being "easier" for the most part your targets are not in places of power like your targets were in AC1. The few that are as soon as you make your move the guards see you and start to move in. The city guard isnt going to care if a lone assassin knocked out the Pazzi family and their assossiates, they have more to worry about.

caswallawn_2k7
12-09-2009, 06:46 AM
I don't know how you cant plan the assassination's you have a lot more freedom when walking into an assassination in AC2 (in AC1 it limited your abilities as you got in) so far nearly every target I have been on top of them before they have reacted, use eagle vision, spot the gold and avoid the guards while staying hidden to get in close.

they don't see you coming and you can kill them were they stand the only problem is they are generally being watched so once you have done the kill the guards move in.

as for the guard AI it is quite good compared to the original, if they ant you they will find you a lot more often and as said above guards don't always just come for you, chase any NPC onto a roof top (including civilians since fore some reason they can climb) and the guards will go for them, or if you were to be jumped by the street thief as long as your not notorious if you start chasing him the guards join in.

for the courier getting killed by the archer that was most likely a bad shot by the guard as I have had them hit each other and civilians in combat because a lot of the time they swing and something will move in front of them.

Neo_Age
12-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
I don't know how you cant plan the assassination's you have a lot more freedom when walking into an assassination in AC2 (in AC1 it limited your abilities as you got in) so far nearly every target I have been on top of them before they have reacted, use eagle vision, spot the gold and avoid the guards while staying hidden to get in close.

they don't see you coming and you can kill them were they stand the only problem is they are generally being watched so once you have done the kill the guards move in.

as for the guard AI it is quite good compared to the original, if they ant you they will find you a lot more often and as said above guards don't always just come for you, chase any NPC onto a roof top (including civilians since fore some reason they can climb) and the guards will go for them, or if you were to be jumped by the street thief as long as your not notorious if you start chasing him the guards join in.

for the courier getting killed by the archer that was most likely a bad shot by the guard as I have had them hit each other and civilians in combat because a lot of the time they swing and something will move in front of them.

I think there are only a hand full of main assassination missions that force how you can confront your target. IE the first two and the one at carnival (though I may be mistaken with the third).

MrNussbaum
12-09-2009, 11:07 AM
I thought towards the beginning of the game it was fine. You were a relative unknown so ripping down wanted posters and bribing heralds should have an effect on how well known you are. But at a certain point in Venice...SPOILERS... <span class="ev_code_WHITE">after you kill Grimaldi and everyone thinks you killed the Doge too, and you killed the next Doge</span> your notoriety should not be able to be lowered. SPOILERS...<span class="ev_code_WHITE">after supposedly killing two Doges</span> you should remain notorious for the rest of the game.

OzDavis
12-09-2009, 03:27 PM
My personal bugbear with the notoriety system was the posters themselves. IMO most of them are in such stupid, unrealistic places and have way too much of an effect on you notoriety.

I feel they should only be worth a reduction of 5-10% each, but be littered all over the place in easy to spot places, so the local population would not only actually be able to see all of them, but wouldn't be able to so much as walk down the street without being reminded of your face.

EzioAssassin51
12-10-2009, 02:10 AM
I totally agree with all you guys!

With the assassinations i agree that you can approach your target a whole lot more ways than in the first! I especially like how with some you are only given the area of your target!

Neo_Age
12-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by MrNussbaum:
I thought towards the beginning of the game it was fine. You were a relative unknown so ripping down wanted posters and bribing heralds should have an effect on how well known you are. But at a certain point in Venice...SPOILERS... <span class="ev_code_WHITE">after you kill Grimaldi and everyone thinks you killed the Doge too, and you killed the next Doge</span> your notoriety should not be able to be lowered. SPOILERS...<span class="ev_code_WHITE">after supposedly killing two Doges</span> you should remain notorious for the rest of the game.

The third Doge though is your ally and likely pardened you of the past "crimes" much like Lorenzo likely did when he gave you the medici cape. Towards the end you recieve a similar cape, though not from anyone in particular that gives you the same immunity in Vence and Flori.

As for the wanted posters, yeah their in odd places. Based on the fact that they are pinned with an arrow I guess the devs were trying to hint that they were shot to their location by archers but after having to climb three stories to get to one you have to wonder what sort of archer is that bad of a shot.

Overall though, being able to remove the infamy is far better then in AC1 where in the latter half the patrols actively are looking for you and all you have to do is clasp your hands togeather in prayer and all of a sudden your an every day monk walking about.

Besides, if you dont like the ability to remove your infamy, you can always, you know, NOT tear down the posters. Its not like someone had a hidden blade to your neck.

caswallawn_2k7
12-10-2009, 08:09 AM
As for the wanted posters, yeah their in odd places. Based on the fact that they are pinned with an arrow I guess the devs were trying to hint that they were shot to their location by archers but after having to climb three stories to get to one you have to wonder what sort of archer is that bad of a shot.
unless they are there for reference to the archers on the roof, they wont be able to recognise every wanted criminal so if they are near a poster it would remind them who to look for, this is why some are on ground level, some are on the roof and others are on platforms, it's all places a archer/guard could stand watch.

noobkira
12-10-2009, 08:17 AM
i completely agree about the notoriety system being WAY TO LENIENT about what you do, poster are in kind of ridiculos places, cause imo, if three a wanted poster of you, i would think they would have citizens react differently. A crowd of civilians notices the wanted poster (but thats impossible because there no where near them and they wouldn't be able to see the posters) and they notice you and hen they call for the nearest guards, it means you need to get out of the area. that i thikn could be implemented in ACIII. thought posters at to old school for 2012 >.>