PDA

View Full Version : Navigators Interest topic: Luftwaffe Write compass.

XyZspineZyX
11-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Luftwaffe Write compass.
-------------------------------

Introduced 1939 and manufactured by Kadlek for the German Air Force during WW2. Made from Bakelite these compasses are rarely found and are mostly in very bad condition due to the brittlety of Bakelite.

This surviving example shows hardly any wear and tear and comes with its original leather strap and steel buckle still attached. Worn by Luftwaffe Navigators this is the companion piece to the Luftwaffe observers watch Laco-Durowe (See ref MIL02/051).

The compass together with the watch would have been supplied shortly before a flying mission at which time the airman signed for their receipts on an inventory sheet. After the mission was completed the airmen would return to base and hand back the watch and the compass to stores possibly after debriefing

heres the link to see the wrist peice
click the more info to see a large picture. it has a price tag of Priced at 395.

http://www.watches.co.uk/catalogue/vintage/make/military.html

------------------------

I'm not connected to this site or selling this just though it makes an interesting topic. especially as the Russian compass is not clearly vissible I wonder if the russians had there version of a wrist compass or was this soley German technology. And it raises a question of what other apparatus did airmen durint the ww2 have to sign for?

XyZspineZyX
11-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Luftwaffe Write compass.
-------------------------------

Introduced 1939 and manufactured by Kadlek for the German Air Force during WW2. Made from Bakelite these compasses are rarely found and are mostly in very bad condition due to the brittlety of Bakelite.

This surviving example shows hardly any wear and tear and comes with its original leather strap and steel buckle still attached. Worn by Luftwaffe Navigators this is the companion piece to the Luftwaffe observers watch Laco-Durowe (See ref MIL02/051).

The compass together with the watch would have been supplied shortly before a flying mission at which time the airman signed for their receipts on an inventory sheet. After the mission was completed the airmen would return to base and hand back the watch and the compass to stores possibly after debriefing

heres the link to see the wrist peice
click the more info to see a large picture. it has a price tag of Priced at 395.

http://www.watches.co.uk/catalogue/vintage/make/military.html

------------------------

I'm not connected to this site or selling this just though it makes an interesting topic. especially as the Russian compass is not clearly vissible I wonder if the russians had there version of a wrist compass or was this soley German technology. And it raises a question of what other apparatus did airmen durint the ww2 have to sign for?