PDA

View Full Version : New PC

asurob11963
02-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Okay, so I have managed to string together a couple of grand (savings) and I intend to use the money to purchase a new PC, ground up. I would like it to be able to fly IL2AEPPF with zero hickups, freezes, lag at close to the max graphic settings as possible. I have decided that Alienware is probably the way to go, the question is...what should I put into the new box...how much RAM, what processor, video card...etc....opinions....

By the way ...to 1C...I am making this investing strictly to fly your game...good work Oleg and group!

asurob11963
02-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Okay, so I have managed to string together a couple of grand (savings) and I intend to use the money to purchase a new PC, ground up. I would like it to be able to fly IL2AEPPF with zero hickups, freezes, lag at close to the max graphic settings as possible. I have decided that Alienware is probably the way to go, the question is...what should I put into the new box...how much RAM, what processor, video card...etc....opinions....

By the way ...to 1C...I am making this investing strictly to fly your game...good work Oleg and group!

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Have you tried asking in the Tech/LuckyBoy forum?

Loads of good info there.

TB

Spider_439th
02-04-2005, 12:39 PM
If you can afford it the Area-51то 5550 model seem great for me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

asurob11963
02-04-2005, 04:03 PM
How much ram do you have with yours spider?

Lav69
02-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Build your own. Its easy and cheaper. Plus you will "KNOW" your system and get what you want in it. Just do some research on the net. There are plenty of sites with step-by-step instructions on how to do it. I have built 3 now. 2 for myself and 1 for my father in law and they all run great. If I can do it anybody can. Well actually I am pretty good with my hands, but you catch the drift.

Lucius_Esox
02-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Really is worth having a go yourself nowedays. One of the biggest probs used to be knowing what works with what. It used to be big hassle because certain components didn't like certain other components etc etc. Buying from firms like Alienware made sense then as they had done all the work for you. Now you can buy bundles that have been tested for compatibility. Overclockers in the Uk do this and you do pay more than you would for straight off the shelf, but you know it all works together. Believe me you will not believe how much cheaper this method is of doing things and has already been said building your own is much much easier than a lot of people think. Your choice! Dont forget you still get guarentees on all this stuff just not the tech support but hey thats what the experts here are for!

mortoma
02-05-2005, 08:46 AM
I've built over a dozen computers and it usually was easy but the latest one I built ( for my brother ) actually gave me fits!! It was a system built on the newer 'pinless' P4 3.4Ghz processor on a DFI LanParty motherboard. A lot of the technology was new to me, including SATA, as the most recent PC I built prior to this one was in early 2002!

1.) First off TigerDirect sent my brother the wrong processor, which had pins and was not even close to the right size. Then the complication of Tiger technical support people not believing that they sent us the wrong processor. Finally got all that worked out and put in the new processor without a hitch.

2.) Then to put on the new-fangled super-duper Coolmaster heatsink but had never seen or experienced this new mounting system and the instruction sheet was poorly done but figured it out, with no thanks to the stupid useless intruction sheet.

3.) Also had to apply ArticSilver thermal goop without a clue as to how to do it properly, no instructions and could not get on the internet to find info on how to do it properly. Did it anyway by just guessing as to how to apply it. Had only used the thermal 'tape' prior to this on my older computers. Hmmm, did I put this stuff on too thick?? Later we found it cooled well so I must have guessed correctly.

4).Next up was mounting his two new sticks of fancy-smancy Corsair ( really expensive, top of the line ) dual channel RAM sticks. No challenge you say?? Well, I had never installed dual channel before and was not sure which slots to put them in to get them to run as dual channel and not just two 1GB sticks!! My common sense guess was later confirmed but I had to be sure goddammit!! There was no documentation on that either and I had to go home and google search it and quickly found out which slots to put them in. But I had wasted precious time by having to drive 25 miles to my house and back to get this info that should have been in DFI instruction booklet or maybe Corsair instruction book?? But wait, there is no Corsair instruction book??

5.)Then we mounted all in his nifty Antec aluminum case. Then after installing all the various cables and power/reset/LED wires, we were able to begin double/triple checking stuff to try the first power up and go into the BIOS for the first time. Wait a minute, it would not power up!!! Then found out there was a newer technology whereby you had to put on an extra 12V and smaller power cable from the PS to the mobo!! There was no mention of this in the DFI or PS documentation, so this was another example of new-fangled technology that was news to my sorry a$$.

6).Then finally, we powered up and got into BIOS . At least the newer technology since 2002 meant less fiddling with the BIOS than the old days and absolutely no messing with mobo jumpers or dipswitches was necessary. This was so far the only example of newer technology actually helping me/us out!!

7.)Then on to installing Windows XP. This was a nighmare, as the first install gave us a multiplicity of errors when attmepting to install Norton Anti-Virus. It would simply not install correctly!! A PC with a newly installed OS with no Anit-virus was out of the question so we re-installed. This time NAV installed without a hitch but in my ignorance of the new SATA technology, ( I was expert in older IDE ) I managed to bungle things and got the Windows drive assigned a drive letter 'E' and could not change it to 'C'!! This was verboten so we had to install again!!! This time I got 'C' drive and it seemed all was well.

8.) But wait a minute! Now what??? Windows was seemingly OK but we found the drive would not do a checkdisk, nor would it defragment!! To be sure this Hard drive was ok, I decided to install Windows XP YET AGAIN!!!! Arrgggh!!!
How many times have I reinstalled now?? I lost track, go back and reread and count it yourselves!!!

9).The reinstall got it finally going perfectly ( pfeww ) but other night my brother called me and told me his computer would do nothing when he tried to boot it!! He said all it did was give him a message that said 'testing' and could not even go into BIOS, let alone Windows Safe Mode. Turned out he had tried to overclock it against my advice and since he was not a PC saavy person, he botched it. I had to explain over the phone how to clear his CMOS so he could erase the OC BIOS settings which apparently he'd
been too aggressive with.

8). Later his extra 200GB SATA drive ( Western Digital P.O.S. to be used for storage ) was making all sorts of loud noises and by attempting to install Windows on it, I found out it was no good since it would not even partition, let alone format. He had to send it back for another!!!

So the next time people come in here and say it's easy to build your own PC, they may be right or wrong, depending on circumstances. Maybe some of you guys have never attempted to build some of this new stuff either?? Try it, you'll hate it. I was extremely experienced building them but only older technology and it doesn't help when documentation for motherboards and what have you is not very good. I finally got it but it was a slight pain to say the least!!!

P.S.---- I also forgot to tell you he had to send back his cutting edge 500 watt PS for a replacement sometime in all that ruckus because it burned out and his computer would not even whimper when he pushed the power button one day. Funny how you forget little details like that when writing a small novel detailing PC building horrors.

Woof603
02-05-2005, 09:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asurob11963:

By the way ...to 1C...I am making this investing strictly to fly your game...good work Oleg and group! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're thinking Alienware first check out Falcon-Northwest...same price range and really excellent build and personal service. I'm delighted with my Falcon. www.falcon-nw.com (http://www.falcon-nw.com)
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

mortoma
02-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Darn it!!! %#*@!!! I forgot to tell you about the power supply coming with a old 20 pin power connector. Seems the newer motherboars require a new 24 pin connector. He had to call the company that made his PS and get them to send a new main mobo power cable. Thank God at least the power supply was a modular cable design!!

mortoma
02-05-2005, 09:24 AM
asurob11963, now that I have fightened you from the idea of building your own PC, which pre-built are you going to buy?? I always thought Alienware sounded good but they're expensive for what you get. Maybe that Falcon brand is as good as the one guys says??

Lucius_Esox
02-05-2005, 09:25 AM
mortoma,
Sorry, you are so right. I conveniently "forget" some of the grief that I have had even installing new h/ware let alone building a complete pc, why do we do this? I think that many people do say it's easy, and yes your right it can be, most of the time. But your experience, well! I have not had anything as bad as that. Ok I will re-phrase http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Building a pc can be easy, but if things go wrong (and they frequently do) and you do not have fairly good comp skills, what would you do in the above situation.

Ah, thats why they are so much cheaper when you build em yourself !!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-05-2005, 09:41 AM
www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) best place on the web to shop be sure.

I would go for 64 mobo Nforce4 SLI, 64 3500 or higher CPU, Two 6600GTs PCI express SLI, 1GB of OCZ Ram. You can find them all at great prices at newegg and reliability and service that is unmatched.

The.Tyke
02-05-2005, 10:30 AM
I've just upgraded the mobo and CPU only, from my old Abit NF7-s, Athlon 3000 XP.
It runs FB really well and has increased FPS by about %50, as the 6800 GT is now allowed to show it's full potential.
My set up, as per my sig.

tsisqua
02-05-2005, 10:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
Have you tried asking in the Tech/LuckyBoy forum?

Loads of good info there.

TB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Tsisqua

asurob11963
02-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Im checking the falcon site now, but it would have to be mighty impressive to steer me from alienware..that being said...i considered building my own..the hardware end i could handle, but im a moron when it comes to software installtions...etc.

ytareh
02-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Mortoma can you tell me how you solved the defrag and scandisk problem Im having the same trouble on a new install

mortoma
02-05-2005, 05:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ytareh:
Mortoma can you tell me how you solved the defrag and scandisk problem Im having the same trouble on a new install <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, all we did was totally reformat and reinstall WinXP. We then checked to see if the same problem reoccured. It didn't. I could find no way to fix it other than that. When you do the chkdsk, does it get stuck in the 3rd, 4th or 5th stage?? That's what happened to us. There may be some who know how to fix this issue without reinstalling, but I sure ain't one of them.

mortoma
02-05-2005, 05:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lucius_Esox:
mortoma,
Sorry, you are so right. I conveniently "forget" some of the grief that I have had even installing new h/ware let alone building a complete pc, why do we do this? I think that many people do say it's easy, and yes your right it can be, most of the time. But your experience, well! I have not had anything as bad as that. Ok I will re-phrase http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Building a pc can be easy, but if things go wrong (and they frequently do) and you do not have fairly good comp skills, what would you do in the above situation.

Ah, thats why they are so much cheaper when you build em yourself !!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, this stuff varies, that last old system I built in Feb. 2002 went together without so much as a tiny hint of trouble. But maybe cuz it was based on an excellent Asus mobo and an AMD processor instead of Intel?? I still use it, it's what I am running right now and I play PF on it. But I long to get something faster to run PF with, tired of slde shows during heavy battles with flak/AAA and also too many stutters at various random times.

VW-IceFire
02-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Get an Athlon 64, some sort of ASUS or similar motherboard, 1GB of PC3200 DDR ram, and a really good video card, X800, 9800XT, or GF6800GT (or Ultra whatever).

The rest comes down to what you configure your system like after you get it.

You need to have:
- A good clean non spyware/non virus system
- Manage your memory (static page files)
- Turn off unimportant Windows features
- Install the best drivers for your setup (sound, video, motherboard)
- Tweak FB/AEP/PF to the best possible performance for your system plus best possible image quality for the performance (its a balance you have to find)

I've seen supercomputer systems that people have purchased for huge amounts of money ($3000+) being outperformed by my self made AMD 2700+ system that I spent about $1400 on two summers ago. System management....but do have fun getting it too. Its always nice to have something new and fast! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ytareh
02-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Mortoma....I just managed to defrag my system....I couldnt get chkdsk to work when using "Run" but via My Computer-Right click on "C"-Properties-Tools-Error checking-Tick both boxes and start it worked fine .

WOLFMondo
02-07-2005, 01:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
System management....but do have fun getting it too. Its always nice to have something new and fast! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed! I found with a good registry cleaner, a washer program like webroots windows washer, an antivirus app (you don't need it on all the time, just use it every so often), a defrag program like O&O (will let you defrag for space or performance etc) and somthing like adaware which I run occasionally you can keep a system clean and stable for along time, It also helps to be sensible when downloading files and visiting certain websiteshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, common sense prevailshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I've had the same WinXP pro system running for 1.5 years with no reinstall and it runs just like the day I installed it, just needs a little occasional care and attention and common sense.

Now to get my new AMD 3500 system working, I forgot to order the 4 pin to 6 pin PCI E power adaptor http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

mortoma
02-07-2005, 10:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ytareh:
Mortoma....I just managed to defrag my system....I couldnt get chkdsk to work when using "Run" but via My Computer-Right click on "C"-Properties-Tools-Error checking-Tick both boxes and start it worked fine . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Cool, will have to remember that one.

BaldieJr
02-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Buy a pre-built machine. Don't waste time building one.

I also can't recomend the 64bit processors right now. Untill MS gets off thier ****ed asses, you can't use the full potential of the thing.

Of course, if you are a unix user, you can always put XP on one drive and FreeBSD 64 on another. 64bit FreeBSD is a wonderfull thing.

tagTaken2
02-07-2005, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lav69:
Build your own. Its easy and cheaper. QUOTE]

I beg to differ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

I'm planning my own system at the moment, for purchase in a month- felt obliged to build my own for the geek cred (doing compsci degree). Anyway, after doing some research on the latest and greatest, I figure it's now going to cost me around AU4000, as opposed to the AU2000 box I would have been satisfied with otherwise.

And now let's talk peripherals... TrackIR, rudder pedals and new HOTAS...

This is all purely to play FB on.
Maybe 1CMaddox should diversify into hardware. I can picture the Oleg stamp of approval now: "Be Sure!" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

heywooood
02-07-2005, 10:26 PM
1c endorses Alien on the homepage already, be sure.

I had a bad experience with Dell so I will never by a McPuter from anyone ever again.

I worked with a nice feller at a local build shop close to home and knowing what I wanted and then letting them assemble it kept the cost down as well as the hassle.

So if you know which components you want - and what you can afford - this is by far the best way to go...you will know exactly how upgradeable your new rig will be ...no nasty surprises.

|Exciter|
02-08-2005, 07:17 AM
"how much RAM, what processor, video card...etc"

As much as you can afford! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif