PDA

View Full Version : Myst IV working on laptop

cafn8ed
10-31-2004, 08:32 AM
I thought it might be useful to post my experience running Myst IV on my laptop. Given that Ubisoft doesn't officially support running the game on a laptop of any kind (that I know of), it could be helpful for people to know some makes, models, and internal hardware which is confirmed to work with the game. So here's mine:

Dell Latitude D505
CPU: Intel Pentium M 1.5 GHz
DVD+CDR/W (not a dvd writer) Sony CRX830E
Graphics: Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME

I bought the game last night, and have had no trouble with installation, movies, or gameplay (using a "Complete" install).

Anyone else out there successfully playing the game on a laptop? Add your specs to the list.

Ubi_Warder
11-01-2004, 09:51 AM
If you decide to add to this post, ensure that you also list the Driver Version. This will make all the difference if the software will play properly.

nicklowe_13
11-03-2004, 08:53 PM
I attempted to run Myst 4 on my laptop, but I get the brown/shady squares problem similar to what users with an ATI Radeon 7x00 have reported. The opening scenes run great, but upon arriving at the first 360 degree node (where Yeesha encourages you to take a picture), much of the scenery is obscured by these large, partially translucient colors.

The main difference: I have an ATI Radeon 9000.

Other specifications:
1.7 GHz Pentium M Processor
1.024 GB memory
DirectX 9.0c

the drivers should be one of the versions released in August (or earlier, if there were no versions released by mid August)

Any advise? (By the way, I ran a search and could not find any file by the name of ares_config.xml, so that solution is out.)

maztec
11-04-2004, 01:40 AM
Omega drivers on a laptop work for me.

Can't guarantee nothing, but better than nothing.

You should have an ares_config.xml file....
:\Program Files\UBISOFT\Myst IV - Revelation\bin\ares_config.xml

right there :P

nicklowe_13
11-05-2004, 08:15 PM
I found the ares_config.xml file and used the fix described. It helps some, but I still have the problem of the whole screen turning a solid color at times, with only the icons at the bottom and the hand in the middle visible. (The hand itself doesn't even look right; there are black bands on a few of the fingers.)The rest of the screen is often opaque, but sometimes just shades the images. Certain nodes inside work, but about the only places that the image looks clear are areas with a lot of light (outdoors especially). Another minor issue: there are sometimes small, dark rectangles that cover part of an image, then disappear later. Also of note: mixed in with the steam or smoke are many narrow rectangles drifting slowly upward (it's a very unusual sight).

Again, most of these are minor problems. However, having the whole screen go dark (usually a shade of brown) makes the game unplayable. From what I can see, it looks like a great game, but all of these problems are extremely frustrating.

maztec
11-06-2004, 12:37 AM
nick, you try the Omega Drivers? You could also try the patch and regres the shader dll like I mentioned in another post around here.

My experience is the Omega Drivers help laptops open up the capabilities of their graphics cards -- which are generally limited for "temperature" reasons.

Maz

nicklowe_13
11-08-2004, 01:47 PM
From what I've heard about the patch, I don't think that installing it will help any. There will be a second patch fairly soon that (hopefully) will correct these problems, right?

maztec
11-08-2004, 02:17 PM
heh a second and a third most likely.

nickf25
11-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to confirm that the ares_config.xml fix worked for me.

I have a laptop Evo N800C CompaQ, and had many areas on the screen where it was all garbled and I could not see the images properly.

After the fix, I don't have this problem anymore and can finally play the game, even though UBI said that they could not help me because laptops are not supported.

For details email nickf25@hotmail.com

nicklowe_13
11-19-2004, 08:44 PM
I installed the second patch. It makes the game almost playable. Almost.

Many of the bugs seem to have been fixed. However, the entire screen still sometimes turns a completely opaque color. Much of the time the screen seems to be shaded a particular (often reddish or yellowish)color, making the light look like it is being filtered. Only still pictures and a few nodes are free from this problem. However, it was much worse before the patch.

I have also noticed one new problem. Occasionally, some of the live video seems to "jump" a bit, as if it were reading off the DVD (I did a full install, though).

There also seem to be a few narrow, horizontal rectangles, especially where the version number / picture viewer is positioned on the screen. The rectangle problem has been almost entirely fixed from the original version, though.

I appreciate your efforts to make progress correcting these issues. Thanks!

maztec
11-20-2004, 02:52 AM
nicklowe, this sounds like an issue with certain instructions in the drivers not being present.

If the manufacturer of your laptop has a new driver for your video card out, try it. Otherwise it's probably safe to assume that your laptop falls into that category of most laptops -- where the manufacturer disables some functions on the video card in order to keep the system temperature down.

If you don't mind taking the risk of melting your laptop (long as you keep it lifted up in the back and well ventilated while playing -- aka don't play games with it on top of a blanket over your lap..) then I recommend updating your drivers with the Omega Drivers (search google for Omega Drivers). That will probably take care of your issues.

Maztec

Te Ana
11-22-2004, 04:07 PM
I just installed Myst IV on my laptop and the graphics are beautiful(but no FoD) and the sound is good with stereo headphones.

Fujitsu Lifebook 3
Mobil Pentium 4, 2.2 GHz
478 RAm
ATI Radeon Igp 32mb(up to 64)
Sigma Tel Audio
Windows XP Pro SP2
DX 9.0c

Draco_13
11-23-2004, 02:42 AM
Myst IV also works on the following laptop:

Pentium IV 2.4Ghz
RAM: 512Mb
Instalation: light
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 64Mb
DirectX 9.0c
Latest driver version at november 2004 (i'm not at home now, so i can't check version)
Patch 1.02 installed (previous Myst IV versions won't work)