PDA

View Full Version : How many use Teamspeak?

EPP-Gibbs
03-21-2005, 01:38 PM
How many people use TS online? Whenever I join an online server the on screen chat seem very quiet..does this indicate most people are on TS, or other voice comms, or that people just don't talk much to each other. Can't be much teamwork going on if that's the case.

I use TS in Air-Attack (Fighter Ace v1.0...yep, that old) and find it very good, but sadly most times I go online in FB/PF it's very late, and I can't use TS for fear of waking the wife and kids!

Cheers,

geetarman
03-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Although I use it occaisionally, I think some times it's not necessary or even desirable.

For instance, on WC's there are so many people on it talking about their last dogfight, how some planes are overmodelled, how their last target made a mistake, etc., it just gets distacting! Also, I've seen it used on maps with a small number of aircraft with the opposing airfields 5 - 10 minutes fight-time away, with externals on! Do you really need voice comms to know which way you should head to find the enemy?

On the other hand, when discipline is used on servers with more difficult settings and larger maps, it is very useful.

Frankly, I think it is of over-blown importance. That's my take on it.

WOLFMondo
03-21-2005, 02:40 PM
I've used TS with every online game for over 2 years and its indespensible.

I agree on WC for instance it can be a pain when theres guys talking about something other than the action but then thats down to server rules etc. On wolf we ask people to take that sort of stuff to the lobby channels and not clog up game channels with general banter.

Bearcat99
03-21-2005, 03:29 PM
We use TS.... and Ventrilo as a backup.

Griffon_25th
03-21-2005, 04:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geetarman:
Also, I've seen it used on maps with a small number of aircraft with the opposing airfields 5 - 10 minutes fight-time away, with externals on! Do you really need voice comms to know which way you should head to find the enemy?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its a huge advantage still, even with externals on. You dont use teampseak to just find the enemy, at least my squad doesnt. We use it to call for help (very important) when someone is on our 6.Its also just imposible to type "break left, check 6, split s...etc" when your engaged and your hands are on the controls.

Bottom line is that you can use TS and still not have an advantage (like what you mentioned about people chatting) or you can use it effectively and win.

BaldieJr
03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
You're missing the fun Gibbs!

You probably noticed 3 of us dropping bombs on the shermans in Zeke vs Wildcat. We were all on TS. I don't think any of us were shot down by enemies during that mission.

Zipper and I tried sinking US carriers in the next mission, but the ki-61's just don't carry enough punch. It was loads of fun trying though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh yeah, its worth it to listen, if you have headphones. If there are others working together, you'll at least be aware of their plans.

EPP-Gibbs
03-21-2005, 06:12 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Ahh that was you I was Sherman busting with! I took out 3 cars with my bomb, blasted away at the tanks until the cannon expired, then went home to re-arm...not an enemy in sight the whole time.

I agree that voice comms are useless without disclipine, but extremely effective when used between small numbers of aircraft on a private channel, say a pair or four at the most to coordinate attack/defense.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-22-2005, 09:38 AM
We use TS on greatergreen. We also have a public channel that usually has about 4-6 players on (typically the same ones). On a long outward bound flight to the target area, we will sometimes banter, but anyone calling "break coms...contact" they always get priority.

I can't tell you how many times I've crashed while trying to type, or lost visual on a bandit for the same reason. Coms is much more effective...even if it's just me and my wingman.

TB

AWL_Spinner
03-22-2005, 09:46 AM
We use TS wherever we fly (squad TS server).

If I'm going solo I'll use the TS facilities at Warclouds, for example. Often just to listen, for the reasons given above.

I've never been able to type quick enough to use chat for meaningful stuff in-game although I sometimes try.

GT182
03-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Our merry little band, III/JG53, uses TeamSpeak for all our online missions.... and every night to S-the-S. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Tooz_69GIAP
03-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Most of the squads I fly with have their own TS server, and everytime I go online I am almost always on TS on someone's server, if not my own squad's.

It's vital for those I fly with, particularly in the online wars like Forgotten Skies and Tactical Air Combat.

TheGozr
03-22-2005, 12:39 PM
TS best way to go , couldn't imagine with out it. same as tir.

ReligiousZealot
03-22-2005, 09:07 PM
I like Teamspeak (I've used it since BF1942 was released) but I'm a little curious why everyone chooses it over the built in voice over net system...I've used it with a couple buddies of mine and it works fine, plus the enemy can't listen in to your coms. Doesn't using Teamspeak ever seem like an added complexity?

T_O_A_D
03-23-2005, 08:31 AM
If I'm not on mine I'm on someones. I try to use the Host, if its in breifing or text messages.

You get to meet to people and enjoy the team work and companay if the flight is long.

96th_Nightshifter
03-23-2005, 09:40 PM
If I'm flying with my squad I'll use our own server's TS - if it's late or I'm flying solo for example I'll use the room servers TS if they have one for example "UK Dedicated" or "War clouds".

Cess-SGTRoc
03-23-2005, 11:14 PM
(.I've used it with a couple buddies of mine and it works fine, plus the enemy can't listen in to your coms. Doesn't using Teamspeak ever seem like an added complexity?)I have always wondered the same thing, I have tested it with others and it works great.
If it where me I would use it on all.

We used to use Ventrillo but the guy who wrote it started going after all that was using it.
Wanted money after he said players in a game could use it for free. Well he got that one handed back to him. It was a good system but not that good.

madsarmy
03-24-2005, 01:45 AM
I don't use TS every time I fly online but if you fly in events eg.VirtualPilots it is Essential.

Jex_TG
03-24-2005, 05:55 AM
I use teamspeak non stop for all my online gaming - be it flight sims or first person shooters. In fact, I couldn't live without it and me and my friends have a great laugh over TS.

As for typing, sorry but it's just not on and is the most useless way of communicating. I cannot type and fly at the same time, your message can get lost if someone else inputs just after you, and it's just plane (hehe) awkward.

As for in game voice - I don't wish to be speaking with people I don't know. If someone wants to get on TS then that's different (as they're showing a committment to play the team game), but using the ingame voice means any moron can come in and shout off his mouth.

Yesterday me and the guys over at TE went out bombing the US carriers on the warbirds server. As a 5 ship we flew out together, in formation, and hit the carrier and sunk it in one pass. One of the guys was looking at the death view and started laughing - there's was one plane circling where his carrier used to be, probably thinking "Well I know I left that carrier round here somewhere" LOL.

murewa
03-24-2005, 08:05 AM
hmmmm...seems like I'm missing out on something here.

is there really that many out ther use this? I'd imagine the VAST majority don't (though thats just speculation). is it worth it?

and if it is and I downlaod it from teamelement.org and just have headphones can I listen in (can't really be arsed to buy a mic at the mo)?

WOLFMondo
03-24-2005, 08:23 AM
It depends where you fly and who you fly with. TS isn't just about talking out tactics and flying with comms, you also get to meet people from around the world and have a laugh.

BSS_Vidar
03-24-2005, 08:28 AM
The Blacksheep (BSS) have their own Teamspeak server. We used Rogerwilco back in the old CFS2 days, but transitioned over to Teamspeak just before comming over to the Ubi flight sims.

It's a very valuable tactical tool, if you use it right. Learning brevity keeps the overwhelming comms to a minimum. Over the years, my guys have kind of picked it up from me without realizing it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jex_TG
03-24-2005, 09:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It depends where you fly and who you fly with. TS isn't just about talking out tactics and flying with comms, you also get to meet people from around the world and have a laugh. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by murewa:
hmmmm...seems like I'm missing out on something here.

is there really that many out ther use this? I'd imagine the VAST majority don't (though thats just speculation). is it worth it?

and if it is and I downlaod it from teamelement.org and just have headphones can I listen in (can't really be arsed to buy a mic at the mo)? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey that's my site lol. Well not mine but that's the place I hang out, it's a proper community but very small. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I don't know about numbers, but once you start using TS and get to know some people, you'll never look back. You are missing out on so much without it, believe me.

As for meeting people around the world, I have one of the TE guys coming over to stay with me in the UK this year. Next year I'll probably visit him and his wife.

Oh and if you've ever tried to tell someone they have abandit on there six, or call for help cos you're in trouble, Saying it over teamspeak is 100times easier than scrabbling around a keyboard.

I suggest you find an online community to join - www.thegamerplanet.com (http://www.thegamerplanet.com) or www.tacticalgamer.com (http://www.tacticalgamer.com) are 2 I can recommend. Membership is free though you can opt to become a supporting member if you like. Both host TS servers.