PDA

View Full Version : U-boat Commander

mike_espo
05-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Has anyone read this book. With all the talk of damage due to ramming, I thought I would let everyone know. Probably the best U-boat history written by the "other" side.

Cremer's experience ranges the entire war. he was in command of U-152 in 41 and U-333 in 42-43 when he was seriously injured during a collision with a Flower class corvette. He finished the war in command of a XXI.

He was rammed twice: NEITER time did the ramming vessel sink!

First in early 42 he was rammed by a British tanker off Florida. Buy the book and you will see the incredible damage sustained.

"water was pouring in through the periscope well. This heavy break-in of water pointed to a gash in the pressure hull. There was only one thing to do: surface. Later attemts to dive resulted in such influx of water to make it impossible."

When rammed later in 42 by the crocus a flower class corvette, where Cremer received many shell splinters from the corvettes oerlikons, hotchkiss. Cremer explains that these weapons did massive damage and killed or wounded all the men on the bridge. Totally riddled the conning tower with holes. The U-333 could only dive to 20m. He escaped, only due to the darkness and his experience. Noteworthy that the corvette captain explained after the war that he intended to ram the u-boat. This was a normal tactic, and did NOT result in the corvette sinking.

An Awesome read! Hope the Development team takes note and changes the Damage model.

mike_espo
05-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Has anyone read this book. With all the talk of damage due to ramming, I thought I would let everyone know. Probably the best U-boat history written by the "other" side.

Cremer's experience ranges the entire war. he was in command of U-152 in 41 and U-333 in 42-43 when he was seriously injured during a collision with a Flower class corvette. He finished the war in command of a XXI.

He was rammed twice: NEITER time did the ramming vessel sink!

First in early 42 he was rammed by a British tanker off Florida. Buy the book and you will see the incredible damage sustained.

"water was pouring in through the periscope well. This heavy break-in of water pointed to a gash in the pressure hull. There was only one thing to do: surface. Later attemts to dive resulted in such influx of water to make it impossible."

When rammed later in 42 by the crocus a flower class corvette, where Cremer received many shell splinters from the corvettes oerlikons, hotchkiss. Cremer explains that these weapons did massive damage and killed or wounded all the men on the bridge. Totally riddled the conning tower with holes. The U-333 could only dive to 20m. He escaped, only due to the darkness and his experience. Noteworthy that the corvette captain explained after the war that he intended to ram the u-boat. This was a normal tactic, and did NOT result in the corvette sinking.

An Awesome read! Hope the Development team takes note and changes the Damage model.

JoeCorrado
05-19-2005, 02:11 AM
I think the DEV Team already read it. The quote on the opening screen comes from the book after all. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif