PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it be cool if --

Mowog
08-25-2005, 09:24 AM
As a lot of you know, the folks at Cyan have explained that the pronounced simplicity of Myst Island and the Ages we saw in the first game was largely a result of the need to condense story elements in the interest of efficient game play and limited storage space. For example, even though we know from the story that Atrus and his family lived on Myst Island for years, we find no living quarters at all.

I was just imagining how fantastic it would be if Cyan could take advantage of the newer technology, and develop a more fully-blown version of the original Myst, where the Island would be more in line with the story... with living quarters, labs, workshops, vegetable gardens and so forth, sort of like Tomahna.

Or imagine the Mechanical Age fortress looking more like the citadel in Uru's Gahreesen, and you get the idea; with each brother commanding half of the fortress, complete with throne room, dining halls, meeting rooms, living quarters, servants's quarters, prisons, treasuries, parade grounds, armories, docks, etc.

Or Channelwood -- with community buildings, food sources like hanging gardens and poultry pens, separate and larger homes for the community leaders, docks for fishing boats and ferries, fishing gear...

Selenitic could look like a much larger version of watery Ahnonay.

It's only fantasy, I know... but it's still a lot of fun to envision what the Island and Ages could look like, given the time and resources to develop them!

Mowog
08-25-2005, 09:24 AM
As a lot of you know, the folks at Cyan have explained that the pronounced simplicity of Myst Island and the Ages we saw in the first game was largely a result of the need to condense story elements in the interest of efficient game play and limited storage space. For example, even though we know from the story that Atrus and his family lived on Myst Island for years, we find no living quarters at all.

I was just imagining how fantastic it would be if Cyan could take advantage of the newer technology, and develop a more fully-blown version of the original Myst, where the Island would be more in line with the story... with living quarters, labs, workshops, vegetable gardens and so forth, sort of like Tomahna.

Or imagine the Mechanical Age fortress looking more like the citadel in Uru's Gahreesen, and you get the idea; with each brother commanding half of the fortress, complete with throne room, dining halls, meeting rooms, living quarters, servants's quarters, prisons, treasuries, parade grounds, armories, docks, etc.

Or Channelwood -- with community buildings, food sources like hanging gardens and poultry pens, separate and larger homes for the community leaders, docks for fishing boats and ferries, fishing gear...

Selenitic could look like a much larger version of watery Ahnonay.

It's only fantasy, I know... but it's still a lot of fun to envision what the Island and Ages could look like, given the time and resources to develop them!

cathyk
08-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Lovely thought, Mowog! I want to explore!

larsschermer
08-25-2005, 12:50 PM
I supose it could be done with Myst, living quarters behind the mountind or some other originaly unaccecable place (like the Rhime place of protection) But as for actualy making the ages different would kinda mess up the entire continuety of the story line(s). i mean aging and so forth would be great but creating new things that verent there in the first place would ruin it, (for me, anyway)

Mowog
08-25-2005, 01:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i mean aging and so forth would be great but creating new things that verent there in the first place would ruin it, (for me, anyway) </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I guess I agree. On the other hand, here's an example... I have a great game on my PC called "Midtown Madness 2." It allows you to pick a car and drive through downtown London or San Francisco. The scenery is really fun, but it's very obvious that the "London" through which you're merrily motoring is a very abbreviated version of the real thing. Some of the major landmarks are there, like Buckingham Palace, Royal Albert Hall, the Houses of Parliament, Hyde Park, The Tower, the bridges, etc. I like to choose an Austin Mini and just drive around for the scenery. While doing so, however, I can't help but wish that the city was modeled in its entirety. Needless to say, that would be huge undertaking. But still... it would be great to see the "real" Myst Island as it exists in the minds of Cyan, not in the vastly truncated form it appeared in the game.

Layniel
08-26-2005, 10:01 AM
or even better!

Myst Chronicles:
play Myst, Riven, Myst 3 and Myst 4 in one game and realtime 3d!
play it as it was supposed to be! bigger better and more immersive!

ZeusmeisterX007
08-26-2005, 10:22 AM
I think the problem with your idea is that it would be better to start afresh with a new series. Not many people would want to play an old game with updated graphics for nostalgia purposes. They want a whole new story.

Mowog
08-26-2005, 11:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">bigger better and more immersive! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Or just go there for real:

http://www.ketcherside.net/me_in_teledahn2.jpg

Layniel
08-26-2005, 01:51 PM
i already started searching for the cleft on google earth... but new mexico is soooo big

mszv
08-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Wow, really nice picture - quite impressive.

uecasm
08-27-2005, 05:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CyberCrrash75:
i already started searching for the cleft on google earth... but new mexico is soooo big </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Make sure you let everyone know when you find it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It should be near a mountain, though. That should cut down the search area a bit.

lotr-sam0711
08-27-2005, 06:23 PM
That is a cool Idea....