PDA

View Full Version : Teamspeak HELP!!

stitchjones1971
02-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Does anyone have any info or tips on how to set up for Teamspeak? Do I have to buy a special headset?

I've been on The Big Top lately and I see that they offer it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Bearcat99
02-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Do you mean setting up a server or just as a client?

Troll2k
02-28-2007, 12:32 PM
No special headset is needed.Just any headset with a mic.

You will need to download the free teamspeak client.

http://goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads

Once you have the client installed just put in the server info.

SithSpeeder
02-28-2007, 12:35 PM
You need Teamspeak Client and a microphone that plugs into your PC. There is some setup involved like mapping your Push-to-talk key (don't do voice activated), entering in the server IP address, etc.

I recommend not only a headset/mic combo, but a USB headset/mic combo so that you can run the TeamSpeak through your headset only and the game sounds through your regular speakers. But a standard (even el-cheapo at the 0.99 cent store) will work, too.

I also recommend either TSDisp or TSOverlay--these little gems take up a little bitty part of your screen, but show at all times who is actively speaking and/or joining and leaving your channel.

Hope that helps.

* _54th_Speeder *

P.S. Good friends of mine run that Big Top server. You can always ask them for help, too.

T_O_A_D
02-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Here is a little something I put together awhile back.

If no one else gets on it, the bandwidth will hold up long enough for youread it. If it down just give it some time and Geocities will bring itback to life .

http://www.geocities.com/vfw_131st/TeamSpeakpageone.html?1076848215281

stitchjones1971
02-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Do you mean setting up a server or just as a client?

client

blairgowrie
02-28-2007, 02:54 PM
I put the following together to help new m8s joining our Danger Dogz squad. It could be a bit out of date but might be of some help.

TEAMSPEAK

Download Windows Version of TeamSpeak 2 Client (RC2) 5.59MB and install

http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads

Open Teamspeak and click on "Settings"

Select "Sound Input/Output Settings"

Move slider on "Output Volume" to normal

Under "Voice Send Method" you have to set a key on your keyboard. I use Ctrl as it is easy to find. Press "Set" and then press the key you want to use.

You can also chose "Voice Activation" as an alernative. You can't chose both. With "Voice Activation" be aware any noise will activate the mike and we will hear your dog barking, phone ringing and any other background noise. I personally don't like it but some of our guys use it. That's all you have to do on that screen.

Next, go back to "Sound Input/Output Settings" and select "Options"

Under "Sound Devices" select "Direct Sound"

Set slider for "Direct Sound Buffer" size to the middle

Under "Device", "Input Device", "Output Device". Setting will vary based on your computer. If you have a sound card, highlight it and click Apply.

You should now be set to GO.

NOW you have connect to the host's TS server.

Click on "Connection". Select "Quick Connect", enter IP, then Nickname and password if required. Click on "Connect" If the connection is successful, you will see you nic and that of all others with green boxes. Press Ctrl button and your green icon should light up.

IF OTHERS CAN'T HEAR YOU

Go to CONTROL PANEL, Click on "Sounds and Audio Devices"

Select "Voice", "Voice recording" "Volume"

Make sure the first slider MIDI Synth is set half way and Microphone is all the way up.

If you still can't be heard, use the test hardware and run the Wizard.

Bearcat99
02-28-2007, 06:31 PM
For client all you need is a headset and the software like others have said. I recommend that you use a USB headset. This because with USB you can run TS through the headsetand all the sim sounds through your speakers. It helps immersion and keeps from having voices booming over your speakers at all hours of the night.

tabe1978
03-01-2007, 08:14 PM
This is a great thread! I could use lots more help.
Me and 4 friends have been using Yahoo Chat and want a more reliable VOIP. People have recommended teamspeak, but confusion reigns.

We're not playing a game that has it's own server. We're more interested in just using it for Fantasy Grounds. FG is a virtual desktop role-playing program, if that term has any meaning to you.

Anyway, we have many questsions
1) We're 5 people who just want to chat over internet. Do we need to have a license? Do we need to pay some third party who acts as a server? Can one of us download the server for free and host each other person?
2) Is the voice quality better/more reliable than Yahoo Chat? Bear in mind that while most of us live in the US, one friend lives in Indonesia.
3) If there is a "free" option, is it inferior quality to having a third party act as a server?
4) A tutorial on how to go about getting a free server would be most welcome. We'd use it on a VERY limited basis. ONce per week, for about 3 hours on Sunday mornings (the only time when Indonesia boy and the rest of us can align our schedules)

Thanks you VERY much in advance for any help whatsoever. The more thorough you are, the more grateful I am. Links to help are just as welcome as direct help.

Fireball_
03-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by tabe1978:
This is a great thread! I could use lots more help.
Me and 4 friends have been using Yahoo Chat and want a more reliable VOIP. People have recommended teamspeak, but confusion reigns.

We're not playing a game that has it's own server. We're more interested in just using it for Fantasy Grounds. FG is a virtual desktop role-playing program, if that term has any meaning to you.

Anyway, we have many questsions
1) We're 5 people who just want to chat over internet. Do we need to have a license? Do we need to pay some third party who acts as a server? Can one of us download the server for free and host each other person?
2) Is the voice quality better/more reliable than Yahoo Chat? Bear in mind that while most of us live in the US, one friend lives in Indonesia.
3) If there is a "free" option, is it inferior quality to having a third party act as a server?
4) A tutorial on how to go about getting a free server would be most welcome. We'd use it on a VERY limited basis. ONce per week, for about 3 hours on Sunday mornings (the only time when Indonesia boy and the rest of us can align our schedules)

Thanks you VERY much in advance for any help whatsoever. The more thorough you are, the more grateful I am. Links to help are just as welcome as direct help.

Teamspeak (or Ventrilo for that matter) sounds like just what you'd need. You don't need a license. And both the server and client software are free. As you said, one of you can install the server software, and then all of you would install the client software. That's just how we do it for our 4 to 5 person squad a couple times a week.

Ken_Det
03-02-2007, 02:03 AM
Thanks to those who posted the help for this topic.
I was haveing a bit of truble with this my self.
Hope it will work for me now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif