PDA

View Full Version : Is this P-51 footage from a US DVD/Film. Lots of footage I haven't seen before?

Mysticpuma2003
02-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Just 'found' this clip on a Russian Youtube website and I have not seen a lot of it before. It includes extensive 332nd FG footage, but I wonder if it is actually a US DVD/video?

http://rutube.ru/tracks/365854...4d72c57b623ff5908778 (http://rutube.ru/tracks/3658541.html?v=810ab9ba04c24d72c57b623ff5908778)

Cheers, MP

mortoma
02-15-2011, 02:03 PM
It's footage I'll never see because I can't get it to load, just stalls out. Russian servers are too far away.

Rjel
02-15-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm pretty sure it is just an over dubbed version of a Wings episode from the Discovery channel in the late '80s. The background music is very familiar. I have it someplace still on VHS.

Edit: After watching it, I'm positive that it what it is. The end of the film where it shows the P-51 spinner changing colors is exactly how the Wings episode ended.

WTE_Galway
02-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Rjel:
I'm pretty sure it is just an over dubbed version of a Wings episode from the Discovery channel in the late '80s. The background music is very familiar. I have it someplace still on VHS.

Edit: After watching it, I'm positive that it what it is. The end of the film where it shows the P-51 spinner changing colors is exactly how the Wings episode ended.

Late 80's wings were worth collecting. Lots of rare footage and interesting facts.

Sometime in the 90's they got a "makeover" from marketing guys who decided it was too technical for mum dad and the kids and suddenly it all went kind of "gee whiz wow look at this awesome little airplane ... isn't she a humdinger ... watch the airplane fly .. fly airplane fly ... ".

Marketing people should be shot on sight.

PhantomKira
02-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

Marketing people should be shot on sight.

Agreed.

Treetop64
02-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rjel:

Late 80's wings were worth collecting. Lots of rare footage and interesting facts.

Sometime in the 90's they got a "makeover" from marketing guys who decided it was too technical for mum dad and the kids and suddenly it all went kind of "gee whiz wow look at this awesome little airplane ... isn't she a humdinger ... watch the airplane fly .. fly airplane fly ... ".

Marketing people should be shot on sight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely.

And, yes: That is "Wings". Same music, and I remember seeing this years ago, except with English narration.

Mysticpuma2003
02-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Well, after a little digging around I found the DVD and it was only available in Australia on Ebay!

The actual documentary is called:

GREAT PLANES: NORTH AMERICAN P-51 MUSTANG

So I now have it ordered, thanks for the help, cheers, MP

Feathered_IV
02-16-2011, 06:23 AM
I've got a couple of these on DVD with Australian narrators and one with an American one.