PDA

View Full Version : New Kid on the Run Way

MudMarine3
06-12-2006, 08:33 PM
I just bought the Ultimate Flight Collection.I Have loaded Pacific Fighters. This is a far cry from my days playin Aces over Europe,Aces of the Pacific and Red Baron by Dynamix. I have to learn to fly this sim. First I need to choose a forgiving aircraft to learn to takeoff and land. Any suggestions?

MudMarine3
06-12-2006, 08:33 PM
I just bought the Ultimate Flight Collection.I Have loaded Pacific Fighters. This is a far cry from my days playin Aces over Europe,Aces of the Pacific and Red Baron by Dynamix. I have to learn to fly this sim. First I need to choose a forgiving aircraft to learn to takeoff and land. Any suggestions?

VW-IceFire
06-12-2006, 08:49 PM
I made that jump too....its a HUGE adjustment but give it time and this is unbelievable.

Easy on takeoffs...mmm....actually the P-38 is a great one for that. The two engines spin in opposite directions cancling the engine torque and keeping you going straight down the runway. On landings always cusion the landing by hitting the backwheels first (in the P-38) and then the nose wheel. If you hit nosewheel first you're liable to bounce in nasty ways.

For taildraggers...once your lined up...always lock the tailwheel. Default control for that is L.

hkg36sd
06-12-2006, 09:06 PM
It kinda depends on if you have the fully merged IL2/AEP/PF or just the Pacific Fighters Standalone installed.

Fully Merged, newbies tend to fly and fight well in the Spitfire IX (25lb Boost).
Pacific Fighters Standalone, kinda depends on what time of the war your fighting in. The Zeke is incredibly maneuverable (can only be out turned - all things being equal- by the Ki-43.) but extremely fragile until the late part of the war, which by then it is just completely outclassed by the more contemporary fighters. I like the F4F-3 for it's ruggedness and firepower (vs Japanese)
Later on, the F4U Corsair and the Ki-84 Hayate seems to be a favorite. Online, this game can be a ruthless monster and discourage most. Practice, pick a favorite, practice some more, push the envelope and when you think you are familiar with one plane, try Online where you will be 'learned' by others!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

OOps, just reread your post! Most anything with a wide undercarriage tends to be easier at landing. You might want to start with the SBD and branch off from there.

Be aware that this (like all good flight sims) has a steep learning curve and all the AC have their pros, cons and foibles that you must learn about. Have fun and Semper Fi.

Flying_Nutcase
06-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Jump in a Spit. Easy to fly and beautiful to the eye.

Hey, that rhymes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

fly_zo
06-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Hurricane is plane for you, nice and steady, she will forgive all your beginner errors and will not kill you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif (not sure if PF standalone has one ?!)

Btw, welcome to the ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

money_money
06-13-2006, 12:22 AM
The zeros r very nice to fly.

<3 $

caserock138
06-13-2006, 01:25 AM
yes, i agree with money_money. the zero is a very forgiving plane with great performance..with all the landing/take off difficulties with a tail-dragger. a good place to start without taking it too easy!

MudMarine3
06-13-2006, 02:53 AM
Guys,
Thanks for the advice."The Ultimate Flight Collection" has Pacific Fighter, Lock-on, and IL2 Sturmovil. I will check out the aircraft in PF and let you know what I have to fly. Always loved the Old Dauntless. Was my favorite in Pacific Air War 1942. For it"s time had great bomb sights. When I chose one I will let you all know. I will keep you all posted as to how my flight training is developing.

In PF ya start out with only Carrier takeoffs and landings, I need to set up a land base mission off Midway for training OPS.

Has anyone designed a set of training missions for green pilots? The editor does not seem to be all that simple first looking at it. I might need some instructions there. I will like to set up: takeoff, landings, touch and go's, gunnery and bombing.

Has anyone thought of setting up a flight school site? That would be great help for rookies.

HotelBushranger
06-13-2006, 03:11 AM
Gday Marine, good to see ya and welcome to the forums! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Once you've patched up to 4.04, I would say the best plane to learn on (which I learnt on) would be the P-40E or M. In some aspects it is forgiving, in some aspects its harsh (especially towards beginners) which is good because it keeps you on the ball. Also, it's no wonder plane (unlike the Spit +25 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif) so you have to work for your kill, but its so much more worth it. Finally, it teaches you how to use energy (E), how to manage it and how to fight with it; the versions we have are slighlty under powered.

In all, tally ho and good hunting!

lowfighter
06-13-2006, 03:31 AM
Hurricane or P40 are nice to start, and in fact are nice to me all the time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .
I'm almost sure you have them in pacific Fighters stand alone.
Cheers!

bogusheadbox
06-13-2006, 05:44 AM
Well call me old fashioned.

But i think the perfect plane to learn on is the old IL2. (but not sure if that plane set is available on PF stand alone.)

You can bomb, you can dogfight, you have a flying tank that can take hits. No real drastic flight characteristics. Good open easy to read guages, and a rear gunner for added help.

Not too much torque on take off and its a nice tail dragger to land.

I would go for that, then you could choose to move onto more dedicated fighters, or ground pounders.

lowfighter
06-13-2006, 06:09 AM
Yes il2 is a good starter, but it's not available in PF stand alone.

bogusheadbox
06-13-2006, 06:44 AM
Bugger

Sillius_Sodus
06-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Be aware that the nose of the Wildcat and the Corsair will wander around when you fire, so when it happens, it's not you, it's the sim. It's not too bad in the Wildcat but the Corsair is notorious for this, the cannon armed F4U-1C is solid though. With the other U.S. aircraft with wing mounted guns, if the nose wanders, it usually means you are about to run out of ammunition.

Good hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

PACACE
06-13-2006, 12:04 PM
for Sillius_Sodus: you can solve the jumping nose bit by going into the config file and editing the joystick setting, it is missing a range, I'll go look but it will take a while you might just find it before i reply today. I dont remember which range it is but it looks differnt. the line starts with a range like x y or z then it lists a bunch of numbers the last two are 100 0 except for the (I think its the rudder) faulty one it ends with only one number, 100. so change it to 100 0 and check the stabil flight of that aircraft while it shoots. Finally I do something.
to New Kid...: Try the corsair it was great in AotP.

Sillius_Sodus
06-13-2006, 12:47 PM
PACACE,

Thanks for the hint, it was an issue for some but my config.ini file has always had the 0 at the end of the joystick setting lines. The Corsair is unstable when firing because it apparently has slower firing guns on one side istead of having them balanced on both sides and/or the guns aren't synchronized so the differential recoil throws off your aim. From what I have read on this forum the Corsair has been squirlley since patch 4.01, I don't know about it's behaviour under the 3.X series of patches because I did not fly it then.

Good _hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

caserock138
06-13-2006, 02:33 PM
marine...if you have teamspeak2 and a mic..you should set it up with some of us to meet with you on hyperlobby and give you some flying lessons that way!

PACACE
06-13-2006, 02:41 PM
to Sillius_: the post of Corsair guns by Skeet2005 is where i read it and I have 4.04 merged there might be more than one file with joystick settings.

MudMarine3
06-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Guys,
Thanks again. caserock138 , I do not have a mic or 2 speak, rain check on those flying lessons. Guys a little too much info, such as Corsair's guns.
I am using a basic joystick, MS SideWinder with 8 controlable buttons and powerside. Button one trigger, Button two secondary weapons, 3 thru 8 not programed, any suggestions for these? Also Joys stick settings for Roll, pitch and yaw for a beginner? Please keep this thread for advice to a beginer.

caserock138
06-13-2006, 04:22 PM
i made 3 and 4 bomb release.

i have 3 of mine set for elevator trim settings and the other 3 for aileron trim settings.

once you can fly around without crashing, trim setting are necessary to get the full performance from your crate!

maybe set a couple for flaps up and down and landing gear toggle, that way you don't have to hunt for a key during takeoff and landing.

try using your "combat" flaps setting when you're making a tight turn, it'll give you more lift making that turn a little tighter and easier.

as for joystick settings, i've always left mine on the default settings.

also,

go to

start> my computer> drive c: (or wherever you installed PF to)> program files> ubisoft> pacific fighters

double click on the file named "conf". if it asks you which program to open it with, choose notepad.

once notepad opens it, you'll see all kinds of organized jibberish. scroll down to [rts_joystick] it should be the 21st category.

make sure it looks like this:

[rts_joystick]
X=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Y=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0 <---
RZ=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
FF=0
U=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
V=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
-------------------------------------

where that arrow is pointing, the 0 at the end of the line is probably missing. go ahead and type in that 0, go to file> save, then exit.

that'll help you with your rudder some!

MudMarine3
06-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Guys,
Loaded up a P40E at Wheeler Field. Set it up for a take Off. Results 12 attempts at take off with realistic setting 12, 8 burning wrecks,and 2 wrecks with a rides to hospital and Icould walk away from. Fustrated and tried the easy mode and landed. Not a pretty one was off the end of the runway. Atleast I can land the bugger.

Need some tips on taking off in a P40E.
Lesson 1. That engine torque is mean!
Lesson 2. Without feel those rudder controls well take some mastering.

Well try again tomarrow! Well probably dream about those wrecks! Glad it is only a simmulator, other wise wife would be chasen my insurance.

fly_zo
06-14-2006, 12:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MudMarine3:
Guys,
Loaded up a P40E at Wheeler Field. Set it up for a take Off. Results 12 attempts at take off with realistic setting 12, 8 burning wrecks,and 2 wrecks with a rides to hospital and Icould walk away from. Fustrated and tried the easy mode and landed. Not a pretty one was off the end of the runway. Atleast I can land the bugger.

Need some tips on taking off in a P40E.
Lesson 1. That engine torque is mean!
Lesson 2. Without feel those rudder controls well take some mastering.

Well try again tomarrow! Well probably dream about those wrecks! Glad it is only a simmulator, other wise wife would be chasen my insurance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for take off be sure to lock the tail wheel once you are lined with the runway.

Just don't give up on trying it will all come to You... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

lowfighter
06-14-2006, 01:44 AM
When taking off increase GRADUALLY the trottle. As the AC begins to pick speeed it also has a tendency to turn on the ground(right or left depending on AC type), so GENTLY counter this with the rudder, as soon as you see it beginning to develop. As the speed is increasing the turn tendency is decreasing, things become easier... At some speed all AC taking off have the tendency to drop the nose, you have to be prepared for that moment and don't OVERREACT to it. The moment you leave the ground raise your landing gear. If you leave the ground and notice that your AC is flying at a dangerous angle etc, you have to counter the danger very gently. Always remember that AC was designed to be as stable as possible, in many situations it will recover by itself from a bad flying situation.

Freelancer-1
06-14-2006, 07:01 AM
For take off and landing practice, I highly recomend any of the P-39s. As for flying, prolly a Spit or one of the the LA series.

If they're in PF, that is?

Thaum2
06-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Hey guys thanks for the info. Another newb here. Tell me is there a link to an FAQ or something on strats, tactics and all the other elementary thing for an up and coming ace http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .....

Beginning to get used to the game, but man is it a steep learning curve

fly_zo
06-15-2006, 12:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thaum2:
Hey guys thanks for the info. Another newb here. Tell me is there a link to an FAQ or something on strats, tactics and all the other elementary thing for an up and coming ace http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .....

Beginning to get used to the game, but man is it a steep learning curve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, here you can find lots of goodies:
http://www.airwarfare.com/guides.htm
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

MudMarine3
06-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Guys thanks again for your help.

I just paid some payolla for a Saitek X52 flight controller to enjoy this game. I wanted to use as few keyboard keys as possible.

I will ask in another posting about it and see how others have configured thiers.

Treetop64
06-15-2006, 07:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MudMarine3:
I just bought the Ultimate Flight Collection.I Have loaded Pacific Fighters. This is a far cry from my days playin Aces over Europe,Aces of the Pacific and Red Baron by Dynamix. I have to learn to fly this sim. First I need to choose a forgiving aircraft to learn to takeoff and land. Any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you're on the right track with the positive attitude, especially considering the comparitive simplicity of the previous titles you mention. We've had countelss first posts in this forum that screamed "OOOH! This game is TOO HARD, and completely UNPLAYABLE!!", and it can be difficult sometimes to give a reasonable reply to encourage those persons to keep trying and not to give up, without becoming jack@sses ourselves (I've been guilty of this from time to time... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif).

Thaum2
06-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks Fly_Zo. Got a lot of reading to do........... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MudMarine3
06-17-2006, 11:08 AM
lowflyer posted:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When taking off increase GRADUALLY the trottle. As the AC begins to pick speeed it also has a tendency to turn on the ground(right or left depending on AC type), so GENTLY counter this with the rudder, as soon as you see it beginning to develop. As the speed is increasing the turn tendency is decreasing, things become easier... At some speed all AC taking off have the tendency to drop the nose, you have to be prepared for that moment and don't OVERREACT to it. The moment you leave the ground raise your landing gear. If you leave the ground and notice that your AC is flying at a dangerous angle etc, you have to counter the danger very gently. Always remember that AC was designed to be as stable as possible, in many situations it will recover by itself from a bad flying situation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that nose does to drop! Nasty results! Well I am still wreck on take off. For my new X52 I am using "Tully's X-52 Control Assignments and his x52 data. Still need to learn to set up my own profile data. I need practice, practice and more practice. Another thing I have to unlearn all my habits from those old dos sims. THEY DO NOT WORK!

For a start I need some basic flight school lessons. I hve Pacific Air War 1942. I also have thier PDF Flight school manual for the basics like terminolgy. Any one want a copy goto replacementdocs.com under PC catigory of downloads.

I was going to start a logbook, Heck I have lost count the number of times I have wrecked. Part of it is learning the new flight control. Well back to practice. Any and all advice is apreciated, thanks. Will I decided on a call sign "Injun"! Back to Wheeler for some more practice.

MudMarine3
06-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Guys,
So Far today wreck twice the the ground.
Wreck 1. Lost control of rudder and nosed in at end of runway. Lesson learned find safe power and prop seting for taxing.

Wreck 2. Prop at 30% and power in the 30-40% range. Made on run up the runway, not wabbling or weaving all over the place like a drunken Jarhead as in wreck 1. Found out you need plenty of room to make a turn arround while taxing. When of runway end but got back arround. Taxied to the other end and my nose started to go in. Too much power and I had my take off flaps on

Once I master taxing, I well try a take off. If I wanted to share this training mission with a green pilot. Where can I post it for others to use? If anyone wants a copy just e-mail me.

FoolTrottel
06-17-2006, 04:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Found out you need plenty of room to make a turn arround while taxing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure you have a key assigned to 'Brake(s)' and be sure to use it.
When you apply brakes, ánd apply the rudder, it's possible to turn way shorter... upto a ground loop...

This way you can even 'steer' your take-off run, after you've locked your tailwheel ... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Have Fun!

MudMarine3
06-17-2006, 04:52 PM
FoolTrottel,
Thanks for the lesson on brakes and locking tail wheel. I will use this next time.

MudMarine3
06-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Fellas,
I am finally going to get some trainig in the realistic mode at Joint-OPS. I start on july 30th.

Still crashen on the runaway, taxing better thanks to the advice on rudder and brakes. I am moving straighter. Problem is that that nose keeps coming down. Prop set at 30% and power at 40%

Still tryin to program my new X52, and info from cummunity help, I have a good idea on how I want to set up the throttle. It all takes practice, try, try and yet try again. Can't is not in this old Jarheads vocabulary. It is just a matter of over coming obsticals.

MudMarine3
06-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Fellow Pilots,
I have just finished do in my X52 profile. Just need to test it now.

Ritter_Cuda
06-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Fellas,
I am finally going to get some trainig in the realistic mode at Joint-OPS. I start on july 30th.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
good choice see you there

MudMarine3
06-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Fellas,
IL2 FB GOLD has arrived just finished installing. Now to patch it up to 4.04., Yes I got the correct order to patch here. Thanks for that info.

idonno
06-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Has anyone thought of setting up a flight school site? That would be great help for rookies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, welcome to Id's Flight School. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I've found that there are many things in life that seem almost impossible until you know some simple little secret, and then it becomes so easy that you can't believe you ever had any trouble with it.

I set up a mission with a P-40E and made a few take-offs to get the right numbers. Here's the take-off checklist.

1. Cowl Flaps (Radiator) - FULL OPEN
2. Throttle - CLOSED
2. Ignition - ON
3. Tail Wheel - LOCK
4. Flaps - TAKE OFF POSITION
5. Rudder Trim - 18 CLICKS RIGHT
6. Elevator Trim - 32 CLICKS UP
7. Aileron Trim - 1 CLICK RIGHT

Leave the prop pitch at 100%. Setting it lower will only lengthen the take off roll.

If you're taxing out to the runway, as you turn onto it make sure you are pointed straight down the center line and still moving when you hit the key to lock the tail wheel. The tail wheel doesn't lock in place until it's aligned with the fuselage, so if it's not locked when you throttle up, it will lock as you start drifting to the left and then it'll be hard to get the airplane pointed back down the runway.

With everything set up this way and your hand off the joy stick, you can shove the throttle full forward without worrying. Since you started with the airplane pointed straight down the runway and the tail wheel locked, it will drift to the side slowly enough that you have some time to judge your rudder inputs. As it starts to drift left, apply just a little right rudder and wait to see what happens. One thing you need to realize is that in this sim, the control surfaces (ailerons, rudder, elevator) and even the trim tabs have a lag between your input and their movement. This makes it even more tricky than it is in real life to control the nose as you accelerate down the runway. If, after a second or two, the nose starts to drift right, just let off a little of the rudder pressure and wait again to see what happens. Even in real life where there is no control surface lag, people have a tendency to step on the left pedal when the airplane starts going to the right. This is generally unnecessary. Since the airplane drifts left naturally, a little less right rudder may be enough to stop any drift to the right, or even cause the airplane to move back to the left.

Something that works for me (only applicable in the sim) is to "dance" on the rudder. I'll apply some right rudder and then immediately let off, repeating this and watching how the nose moves until I get a feel for how much rudder it takes to hold it straight.

When the airplane reaches about 60 mph the tail will come up. You don't need to do anything. It will not nose over. Of course your rudder inputs will have a lot more of an effect after the tail comes up.

By 100 mph the airplane will no longer drift left. If you have it going straight by then, you won't need to be on the rudder at all. As it accelerates further, the plane will actually be drifting a little right, but it's so slight that your only indication of it will likely be an off-center slip indicator.

At around 120 mph the airplane will fly itself off the runway with little to no input from you. Raise the gear and flaps, reduce power to 100% and, after initialy applying a little forward stick pressure, the airplane should settle into a 130-140 mph climb practically hands off.

You can pull the airplane off the ground sooner if you like, but I wouldn't try it any slower than 90 mph. I don't know how much you understand about stalls, but this is one thing that gives a lot of new pilots fits when it comes to taking off. They force it off the ground at minimum airspeed and then try to climb too quickly. As the airplane begins to stall and roll to the left, they apply right aileron and pull back on the stick trying to force the airplane to stay in the air. Pulling back on the stick only seals their doom. If this happens, go against instinct and lower the nose to break the stall. You'll have to give up some altitude to get up to flying speed, but so what? As long as you don't give it all up. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hopes this helps.

BSS_AIJO
06-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Hey mudmarine3, welcome to the game. I was a big Dynamix fan back in the DOS days. 8^) On the noseing over double check your trim, especially on the p40. I have the trim controlls on my X52 set to the two dials and the slider for the elevator trim on the throttle handle. I usually center them all and then give a little nose up on the elevator trim. Unless I am in a zero, or spitfire, then I give it alot of nose up on the elevator trim. Once you join up on Hyper lobby, spend the 2 bucks on a microphone, or 20 bucks on a headset. Hop on teamspeak for the games, you will find plenty of
folks who can help out.

BSS_AIJO

MudMarine3
06-23-2006, 04:53 PM
~S~
Idonno, BSS_AIJO and others,
Thanks for the info. This forum and the Joint-OPS forum are great. I have posted at other forums for other games. Guys there are either, nocken the game or tellen ya how stupid ya are when ya ask questions. Sim Pilots are a whole nother breed. I have got some great help from a great bunch of Fellas. A most greatful THANK YOU ALL.

Idonno: Thanks for the take off procedures. Once I learn to taxi I will try them. Question for you. How About taxi procedures? I have found that at 30% power and 30% prop and some left rudder I can maintain some what a straight line down the runway. I found that any more power or prop I start to nose down. Which is the best Prop setting and power setting for runway taxing.

BSS_AIJO: I bought myself a headset and mic. I found it was easier for me to control the prop with the slider on my X52 throttle. I use the E-Wheel for rudder trim and I-Wheel for elavator trim.

As far as getting on line that will wait till 30 July when I start BFS at Joint-OPS. Right now I am reading up on principles of flight.See How it Flies (http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/intro.html)

The author made one statement I have to agree with,"<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There is a saying practice makes perfect--But thats wrong. It's wrong in two ways. For starters, the truth is that practice makes permanent. If you are practicing the wrong things, practice is worse than nothing. The Key is practicing the right things, Learn the right procedures, then go practice them.

Secondly, practice without understanding maybe useful preperation for routine situations, but nothing is entirely routine...Therefore you have to understand what you are doing, so you can improvise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This Simulation has reached me is some deeper level. I feel if I do not take the Simulation seriuosly, I disrespect and dishonor those that gave thier lives, flying, maintaining and building these historic aircraft.

It all started out just a game, the realism, such as limited as this simulation is,but I began to realise more as I remembered accounts of past pilots that I have read.

So I treat the simulation seriously and take the point of view that I must learn correct procedures and know what is taking place as I sit at the controls and treat the simulation as real. Even with this mind set I still enjoy the simulation. It is a challenge and an honor to fly this simulation.

~S~
Call sign Injun

idonno
06-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Idonno: Thanks for the take off procedures. Once I learn to taxi I will try them. Question for you. How About taxi procedures? I have found that at 30% power and 30% prop and some left rudder I can maintain some what a straight line down the runway. I found that any more power or prop I start to nose down. Which is the best Prop setting and power setting for runway taxing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leave the prop pitch at 100% and use a lower throttle setting. The only time you need to adjust prop pitch is in cruise flight, and then only if you're concerned about fuel economy. As you get more proficient in taxing you will eventually find occasions when you'll want to use blasts of prop wash across the rudder to help you turn tighter. With the prop blades set at a high pitch angle ( lower rpm percentage = higher blade pitch angle) the engine revs up much slower and doesn't give the prop wash blast needed to really swing the tail around.

Airplanes were never meant to crawl along the ground. They just do it out of necessity. If your plane is nosing over (I'm assuming this happens when you hit the brakes) it means you're taxing too fast. Keep it between 10 and 20 mph, and by that I mean if the speed bar says 20, you're going too fast. At those speeds you can stand on the brakes without nosing over.

Once you get her moving, a 28% throttle setting seems to work pretty well. That's with 100% fuel on a hard surface taxiway (I've never checked to see if the taxi way or runway surface makes any difference in-game). If it gets too fast just tap the brakes a little or momentarily reduce the throttle. You should be €œS€ turning down the taxi way to make sure the path ahead is clear and this will somewhat reduce the need for braking and throttle adjustments to keep your speed down.

When €œS€ turning, you need stay ahead of the airplane. As the nose swings to one side, don't wait until you can see the taxi way ahead before you start turning back the other way. The tail wheel is free turning, so even with full rudder deflection it takes a second or two to stop the airplane swinging one way and start it swinging the other.

idonno
06-24-2006, 11:34 AM
So I treat the simulation seriously and take the point of view that I must learn correct procedures and know what is taking place as I sit at the controls and treat the simulation as real. Even with this mind set I still enjoy the simulation. It is a challenge and an honor to fly this simulation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me, treating the simulation as if it were real is what makes it the most fun.

You might be interested in these WWII era training films. You can watch very small versions of the entire film with RealPlayer. A lot of this stuff (power settings, fuel burn, airspeeds) is applicable in IL2.

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/main.html

MudMarine3
06-25-2006, 09:52 PM
I Finally had a good taxi run of the runway! No wrecks! LOL

I will spend the next week prctice taxi procedures.

I will be logging/blogging my progress at
flyenleatherneck (http://flyenleatherneck.spaces.msn.com)

Ya might catch a picture of me there.
Those here I would Like to Thank again for thier encouragement and advice.