PDA

View Full Version : playing SH3 on a vista pc or laptop

gdeneef
07-28-2010, 09:03 AM
I would like to find a secure way to play SH3 on a vista pc or laptop.

Mittelwaechter
07-28-2010, 10:11 AM
And where is the problem?

MartiniMik
07-28-2010, 03:29 PM
gdeneef,

I'm not what "secure" actually implies but trust Mittelwaechter...he's one of my personal "Aces" at problem solving, advice, and other things when it comes to SH3.

Good luck to you & I'll also try to be of assistance if I can!

HW3
07-28-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "secure way" but, I run SH3 on a Vista 64 PC with no problems.

gdeneef
07-30-2010, 08:19 AM
secure is maybe a wrong choice of words, i mean playing it without stalling.
in my case i can install it but it wont run at all

Mittelwaechter
07-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Hey Mik, thanks for the kind commendation. Are you married? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Well gdeneef,

did you do the installation as administrator?
did you install in C:/games?
do you own a DVD without copy protection?
or is it a download?
your rig/graphics card is capable to run SH3?

You are a little bit shy in sharing information. It's hard to help this way.

HW3
07-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Yes system specs would be a big help in diagnosing the problem. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Kaleun1961
07-31-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm getting ready to install the game on my new Windows 7 Home Premium x64 notebook. Am I going to have any problems like Vista users? I'm fully aware of how to install the game without the need for the disc to be in the drive; that's how I was playing it on my XP desktop. Will I have to install it in C:\games or something similar, or will it be alright to install in the [32 bit] C:\Program Files folder?

Mittelwaechter
07-31-2010, 03:39 PM
Log on as administrator
Install into C:/games
Don't install starforce drivers
Patch to 1.4b
These "no DVD files" are perfect
Mod to your liking

I have only the original SH3 starforced version of the game DVD and I had no problems to install to W7HP64 following the advice above.

It runs like a charm.

Kaleun1961
07-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the advice, MW!

Kaleun1961
08-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Last night I installed SH3 on my new notebook, including the "no disc" files. The game runs fine on this new machine, from what I saw during a very brief run through the first exam of the academy, using stock game. I have yet to install GWX Gold, as my wife came to bed and it was time to shut down for the night. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif I'm still in the process of moving my data over from the "wonky" notebook; recovery of data and email was 100% successful. Before I shut it down, the core temperature hit 78 degrees Celsius! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

I am still lining up the mods I wish to insall for GWX and tweaking some more settings before I continue the install. One item of disappointment about Windows 7 is that it does not support Virtual PC, which I had used on my XP notebook to run a Windows 98 virtual machine for some legacy games, such as Imperialism. Another major disappointment is that it no longer features Outlook Express. I am still mulling over whether I wish to give MS more $ for Outlook, or whether I will dedicate an XP desktop for my email. I prefer to have my downloaded emails on my local notebook. Windows Live email lost all of my contacts, so I am definitely not going to use it. I hate the idea of relying upon an internet connection in order to access my email. I often travel to visit my father, who does not have internet access in his house. I like to show him the latest items of interest on my notebook.

I've tried Thunderbird, but for the life of me, I cannot get it to send email, only receive. It seems to not want to allow me to input certain settings for my Sympatico account. As well, I really prefer the setup of Outlook Express, or Outlook, which I have gotten to know since the days of Windows 95. I've got the cash to go with a full version of Outlook; I'm just waiting to see if I am still steamed enough at Billy after a few more days to see if I want to give him more of my $. And please don't tell me to go with a Mac or Linux [in its 1001 different versions, seemingly all named after obscure African tribes.]