PDA

View Full Version : Repeated "go arounds" for AI

MerlinFly
06-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the AI planes often receive repeated "go around" instructions from the controller? They almost always obey, resulting in them eventually running out of fuel and landing nearby with their gear up.

In noticed this a lot while playing the Singapore offline pilot career. It happens regardless of whether or not the runway is actually clear.

I am running PF+FB+AEP 4.04m. It's very impressive for a desktop sim. My day job involves working on the big ones TT&S (http://www.thalesgroup.com/training-simulation/civil/civil_aircraft/1_0_725_10160.html)

MerlinFly
06-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the AI planes often receive repeated "go around" instructions from the controller? They almost always obey, resulting in them eventually running out of fuel and landing nearby with their gear up.

In noticed this a lot while playing the Singapore offline pilot career. It happens regardless of whether or not the runway is actually clear.

I am running PF+FB+AEP 4.04m. It's very impressive for a desktop sim. My day job involves working on the big ones TT&S (http://www.thalesgroup.com/training-simulation/civil/civil_aircraft/1_0_725_10160.html)

joeap
06-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Hmm hadn't noticed cause I often end the mission before. Yea some glitches but yea impressive for a desktop sim as you said. You play with impressive toys yourself bud.

SeaFireLIV
06-15-2006, 04:55 PM
A few Patches ago I did actually stick around and watch bonbers and fighters land with the old `go around` routine. I`ve never seen them just told to constantly go around until they run out of fuel.

Are you using DCG? It`s possible with that utility that so many aircraft could be spawned for one airfield that some may run out of fuel, but even then there`s a routine that kicks in which will make them, "I`m going in anyway, tower!" if they`re in trouble.

To be honest, I can`t say i`ve seen it happen.

Nice to hear you`re impressed with the sim.

VW-IceFire
06-15-2006, 06:15 PM
They go around when the landing space isn't clear. Otherwise they do land. Never seen one get stuck in a landing pattern loop. Never seen any run out of fuel either.

Zeus-cat
06-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Lets say you have a full squadron of 16 planes, they will land in order. Number 1 lands first and 2-16 go around; some of them ask to land and are denied. Number 2 lands next and 3-16 go around. Number 3...

If one of the aircraft is damaged, it doesn't get priority to land; it has to wait its turn in the rotation. Maybe this is what you are seeing.

Treetop64
06-15-2006, 07:37 PM
I've seen it happen, but only rarely, and only since using DCG. In fact, there are now so many planes flying around that in DCG I heard an endless stream of "abort landing" and "go-around" radio chatter for literally minutes on end! It got to the point where I finally removed all the "request for landing", "go-around", and "abort landing" messages (among others) from the samples folder for the countries that I fly for.

Much less crowded radio chatter now.

MerlinFly
06-24-2006, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the comments. I'm not using DCG, and did figure out algorithm whereby AI aircraft in the circuit manage to land without colliding on the runway. It is exactly as Zeus-cat describes, and works well - usually.

I often stick around watching the AI after a mission, as they are occasionally interesting.

The crash landing algorithm is considerably improved in this version. Previously, they would just land anywhere regardless of hazards (forests, mountains, towns, etc.). Now they do seem to make some attempt to find a clear space. They don't always get it right, though.

AI also seems to run out of fuel frequently on the longer missions. Several times in the Singapore campaign, I have been the only one to make it home - the others having run out long before making it even to friendly territory. I can understand this if prolonged fighting occurs, but they still do it even in a relatively quiet mission. There does appear to be a mechanism for making them return if fuel is low, but this doesn't seem clever enough to take account of how far they have to travel. I suspect the threshold is just a constant, perhaps ("...if (fuel<25%) then ReturnHomeFlag=true..." or some such. It really ought to be some function of fuel consumption at cruise and distance to home.

On another matter, has anyone landed successfully away from a runway with the gear down? I used to be able to do this in earlier versions, but now nose over or suffer some other embarrasment. Gear-up landings are OK, but of course you can't take off again.

Despite the criticisms, it's still a very good game/simulation.

vocatx
06-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Every now and then one of the pilots will tell the ground controller he's coming in any way. Surprised the heck out of my friends and I the first time this happened in a co-op.

TC_Stele
06-25-2006, 11:00 AM
I've heard an AI pilot yell back at the AI tower that he would not go around and he was landing the plane then and there. That kinda amused me.

Aero_Shodanjo
06-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Well the landing pattern isnt always have to be the no.1 first and the 16th as the least to land.

when reaching the final waypoint before the landing waypoint, the formation will break and start forming a landing pattern regardless the flight position before. Once I set my plane on auto during the RTB (me as the flight leader) and surprised that when the landing pattern formed, my #4 placed himself directly in front of my plane. Almost hit his rudder with my prop.

Then, I think this is interesting, it seems that the time cycle it took for a "runway clear" signal, is when the landed plane has cleared about 3/4 of the runway length. So it may explain the randomness of who will be the next "lander" especially since the landing pattern could either take longer or shorter of that time cycle for the signal.

Needs some more verifications though.