PDA

View Full Version : $50 is a bit dear for True Vector

99th Obsidian
12-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Despite the fact that FB+AEP,PF will not be supported, I was prepared to pre-order True Vector and TIR3. With ground shipping the total in my shopping cart exceeded $170.00 US http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif ($200 if you go pro) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif Upon closer inspection I noted that the TV expansion includes a unnecessary NP Trackhat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif I thought the TV clip was designed to fit on most baseball caps. The Trackhat sells for $20 so without it, TV should only cost $30. Thats more reasonable considering how much it will cost for TIR 1+2 owners to upgrade. Given that PF,AEP wont be supported (or LOMAC as far as I can tell) I'll have to pass. Perhaps if CFS3 or MS2004 was bundled with TV then it may be worth $50. Otherwise, $50 for TV is price gouging and a dis to repeat customers.

Philipscdrw
12-07-2004, 03:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 99th Obsidian:
Despite the fact that FB+AEP,PF will not be supported, I was prepared to pre-order True Vector and TIR3. With ground shipping the total in my shopping cart exceeded $170.00 US http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif ($200 if you go pro) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif Upon closer inspection I noted that the TV expansion includes a unnecessary NP Trackhat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif I thought the TV clip was designed to fit on most baseball caps. The Trackhat sells for $20 so without it, TV should only cost $30. Thats more reasonable considering how much it will cost for TIR 1+2 owners to upgrade. Given that PF,AEP wont be supported (or LOMAC as far as I can tell) I'll have to pass. Perhaps if CFS3 or MS2004 was bundled with TV then it may be worth $50. Otherwise, $50 for TV is price gouging and a dis to repeat customers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bear in mind that the hat is worth less than $20 to NP or whoever, and they will be making less profit on the combined package of hat + other stuff - so without the hat they could sell it for maybe $10-15 less without losing profits on each sale.

S1rkillalot
12-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Why on earth do we have to buy the trackhat with it? I bought it 2 weeks ago and so I am less than pleased to have to spend the extra 20$ to get another useless one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
Needless to say I am not pleased with ED sales policy.
This price is indeed a bit dear. I'd have no pb to spend another 20$ on this as ED is making a really great product, but at 50$, I'd better build this stuff myself (doesn't look really complicate) and use the next software update.

JohnnyBlademan
12-07-2004, 03:17 PM
I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that this 6DO is a software upgrade for the TIR3 was coming from Natural Point and was free.
Also, while I understand True Vector is trying to raise interest in their product. From what I read PF isn't and won't be supported. Isn't coming to a (fanatic) fansite like this saying this new tech. is great, but it won't work for you, like going to a *****house without money? (Pardon the crudeness of the analogy, but I think it fits in this case)

JB

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
12-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Well as far as I can tell the new features of track ir will only really be supported by BoB and as I already have track ir3 pro and am more than happy with it. I guess I can wait a year or two by which time I am sure the price will have dropped some. Dont be in such an all fired hurry to be bleeding edge, usually all that bleeds is your wallet / pocket book / purse / handbag or whatever you keep your money in.

Philipscdrw
12-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Um, the price of the package without the hat would be more than $30... as I outline in the post just above yours Sir...

Just for clarity, I'm responding to S1rKilllalot's post here...

S1rkillalot
12-07-2004, 03:24 PM
Hmmm, seems like ED put some though in people making their own kit. The vector kit will come with a serial number that will be used to activate the software on line. Each serial number will be then linked to your TIR3 product serial number. Smart move. Seems like we have some Valve software admirers here.

Weather_Man
12-07-2004, 04:17 PM
I don't see what the problem is with the price. It is custom software, is it not? How else do they recoup the cost but by charging enough to cover development?

Whether it's worth it or not is another issue entirely and that is up to you. But to call it gouging is to assume they are either a nonprofit or someone gave them the technology for free.

Philipscdrw
12-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Weatherman I think they are annoyed that NP are including a baseball cap, available seperately for $20, in the package, driving up the price... although the price wouldn't be much lower without the custom hat.

Mjollnir111675
12-07-2004, 04:31 PM
No,no,no no!! You All have it wrong!!
The reason behind the hat is so you develop male pattern baldness so you will inevitably buy the sim:

Follical Battles:and it's expansion pack: Ace Epidermal Pack.Let alone to show screenies of their future woik: Battle o'er Baldness.

PriK
12-07-2004, 04:45 PM
WM, thanks for putting some clarity on the situation. I know many people would complain about the cost of anything if it was anything more than free.

Keep in mind you are buying the software and the clip, the hat as was mentioned doesn't cost much anyway. The software took a great deal of resources to design and implement, I know because I've been beta-testing it.

Fifty bucks is the price of ONE video game. How many hours did you get out of Doom3? This add-on transforms EVERY TIR enhanced game that is already out with TRUE yaw and pitch with much more stability than a TIR3pro even gives not to mention that there are dozens of games supporting 6DOF besides the initial 2 coming shortly after release that should double within a year from all the developers of games that aren't out yet.

And for the poster that wants to build a clip and steal the software later you won't have much luck as the Vector is linked to your TIR3 unit's serial number.

If flight sims were FPS games it would be no problem for NP to sell the Vector for a measley 25$ or so but right now flight and driving sims don't have those kind of numbers of players.

However, it would be nice for those upgrading to a TIR3 not to have to purchase 2 hats in the package even if it was only a $10 difference or so.

Btw, you don't have to wear the Vector clip on the TrackHat, it works fine on any baseball cap that I've tried. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

williek
12-07-2004, 05:38 PM
actually edimensional has an option where you can save $5 by excluding the hat. they also have the trackir $10 less, so the total if you wanted the pro + vector would be ~$175. mine was getting a little raggedy anyway so i picked up an extra hat, but it looks like you can use any baseball cap.

Charlie_52ndVFW
12-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Think of it this way... you are getting a FREE hat when you buy the Vector Expansion. Whether it came with it or not, the price would be $50. Thats the truth of the matter.

To clarify for the one poster... eD does not make the Vector or the TrackIR. They are just a reseller. NaturalPoint is the creator.

oqvist
12-07-2004, 06:22 PM
The thing is that they are alone with this technology. They pretty much own this small niche market. If there was competitors I am sure they would sell it for cheaper but why should they? It´s not like it´s a huge market they have to make quite a good share on each unit they sell. And as any company they want to make profit as well.

Hopefully it will be worth the 43 buck or what it´s I buyed it for without the hat.

InyerEye
12-07-2004, 06:42 PM
From what I saw in the video,I'll drop 50 bucks in a heartbeat to have that in IL-2 and GTR.

Recon_609IAP
12-07-2004, 06:46 PM
You are basically paying $50 for their software, similiar to if Saitek or CH started charging for sofware after you've made a hardware purchase. I just hope other hardware companies don't start charging for the software http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

The gizmo on the hat appears nothing more than some glorified dots.

I have a TrackIR2, purchased a TrackIR3 a few days ago, but when I heard (1) not going to get the special features for PF and (2) that they are going to charge me an additional $50 to get the Vector software.... I am cancelling my order.

What I find interesting is that only the TrackIR3 will support this - which leaves me in the cold as a TrackIR2 owner and previous TrackIR1 owner.

(oh yeah, I already have the hat)

I'll wait for BoB and hope the price is lower by then that justifies my TrackIR2 upgrade.

Il2pongo
12-07-2004, 07:25 PM
when the behavior of a company leaves you saying that you have been ripped off excuses and platitudes dont matter much.

This thing will be sold with the trackir3 pro for the price I payed for just the trackir3 pro only 2 weeks ago.

you dont improve your product to fleece your existing customers. You imrove your product to attract new customers.

Slammin_
12-07-2004, 08:25 PM
This crowd never ceases to amaze me. It's like it causes great pain when somebody tries to do something good for the flight sim community.

PriK
12-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Agreed.

And people also don't think they should have to pay for software.

It never cease to amaze me.

I think I'll cry about my old version of IL2 I bought cause it can't even play the new FB/AEP/PF maps. Oleg shouldn't charge us for new versions of this game! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

And be sure, if TIR2 was capable of using Vector it would be available too. It's simply not possible due to physical limitations.

Aaron_GT
12-08-2004, 04:54 AM
"I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that this 6DO is a software upgrade for the TIR3 was coming from Natural Point and was free. "

No, I seem to remember that a couple of weeks ago it was being touted as a free upgrade. Given that PF isn't supported (and I don't see anything about X plane suport either) I'll wait until there are some reviews before committing to it.

Charlie_52ndVFW
12-08-2004, 06:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recon_609IAP:
You are basically paying $50 for their software, similiar to if Saitek or CH started charging for sofware after you've made a hardware purchase. I just hope other hardware companies don't start charging for the software http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are comparing the wrong things. If you want to make a comparison with any of the joystick drivers, then compare it with version 3.13 TrackIR software or with version 4.0 with no Vector Expansion. Those are the stock drivers for TrackIR and they are completely free and always will be.

However, if CH Pro or Saitek were to spend a whole **** load of money extending their product and making it do all sorts of new things, should that be for free? Heck No.

Do not compare standard drivers to Vector. The normal drivers are still free and always will be. If you want the fancy new stuff, you have to pay for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recon_609IAP:
The gizmo on the hat appears nothing more than some glorified dots. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Says the person who hasnt even held one in his hand yet. Tell you what... when people start receiving their in the mail, we will let them post what they think.

I have a TrackIR2, purchased a TrackIR3 a few days ago, but when I heard (1) not going to get the special features for PF and (2) that they are going to charge me an additional $50 to get the Vector software.... I am cancelling my order. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you canceled your order after you were found out to be a lier and an immature child. You went into their house, lied, and crapped all over their goodwill. You complained about not getting a discount and yet you were ALREADY receiving one with the PF discount. How funny is that? Now you come here and try to spread disinformation. You have issues.

What I find interesting is that only the TrackIR3 will support this - which leaves me in the cold as a TrackIR2 owner and previous TrackIR1 owner. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you complain when your graphics card doesnt support the brand new Shaders that are coded into newer games? Do you complain when you cant use a brand new 8x DVD in your 4x DVD-RW drive?

TrackIR3 has a whole lot of new hardware it it above and beyond the TrackIR2. That new hardware plays the key role in Vector. Without the TrackIR3, there would be no Vector.

Here's your sign....

Charlie_52ndVFW
12-08-2004, 06:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
No, I seem to remember that a couple of weeks ago it was being touted as a free upgrade. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was never touted as a free upgrade. Any TrackIR3 user can use the v4 software for free, without Vector capabilities. That is free. If you want the Vector capability, you have to buy the expansion.

It was never touted as free and, in fact, I remember making many posts on different forums specifically saying that it 6DOF features would not be free.