PDA

View Full Version : F6F5

Yimmy
02-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Hey, could anyone give me some tips on flying the F6F5?

I like the aircraft - think it has a lot of character, plus I know the FAA used it which tempted me to give it a go.
I imagined it would be in the same league as the FW190, Corsaire, Ki84 types, however I can't say I find it to be at the same level.

It has a lot of armour, a good steady (if slow) climb, a nice steady dive, and an okay role rate - ergo it is nice to use as a dive bomber with its 1000 pounder.
However how are you supposed to use it against other fighters, or is the answer simply to avoid them? I gather the type was fairly effective against fighters in real life, but then real life had team play and tactics...

It lacks the acceleration to speed away from a zero, it cant dash climb to escape one, and it certainly can not out turn one, so what do you do, other than die?

I like flying the Ki43C when I fly for the Japanese, and have never found going against the F6F5 a problem - their speed always bleeds away leaving me to easily out accelerate them on a climb or turn and gun them down. Their only saving grace is when I have (twice) emptied all my ammunition into them, to no noticeable effect, but I mean, waiting for your enemy to expend his ammunition on you and to turn tail to head for home, then to hit him, is hardly a winning method!

So what to do?

Yimmy
02-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Hey, could anyone give me some tips on flying the F6F5?

I like the aircraft - think it has a lot of character, plus I know the FAA used it which tempted me to give it a go.
I imagined it would be in the same league as the FW190, Corsaire, Ki84 types, however I can't say I find it to be at the same level.

It has a lot of armour, a good steady (if slow) climb, a nice steady dive, and an okay role rate - ergo it is nice to use as a dive bomber with its 1000 pounder.
However how are you supposed to use it against other fighters, or is the answer simply to avoid them? I gather the type was fairly effective against fighters in real life, but then real life had team play and tactics...

It lacks the acceleration to speed away from a zero, it cant dash climb to escape one, and it certainly can not out turn one, so what do you do, other than die?

I like flying the Ki43C when I fly for the Japanese, and have never found going against the F6F5 a problem - their speed always bleeds away leaving me to easily out accelerate them on a climb or turn and gun them down. Their only saving grace is when I have (twice) emptied all my ammunition into them, to no noticeable effect, but I mean, waiting for your enemy to expend his ammunition on you and to turn tail to head for home, then to hit him, is hardly a winning method!

So what to do?

stansdds
02-17-2005, 12:13 PM
The Hellcat is an energy fighter, so you need to start with superior altitude. Dive upon your foe, then regain your altitude. Like the Corsair, the Hellcat was not good in a turning fight. Altitude and speed are your two best friends, make sure they are on your side at all times.

Maple_Tiger
02-17-2005, 12:31 PM
I don't recomend engaging a Zero at the same altitude as you lol. In this game, they climb very good, loose very little speed in manuevers, and turn very nice.

It's impossible to out zoom climb them if you'r both at the same altituded. I find this unrealistic lol. In real life, US pilots would stay fast and use there zoom climb advantage, or disengage at will.

Thus, make sure you'r higher then the Zero, and don't turn with it. If he does get on you'r six, do a quick split-S. They can't roll as fast as you. If you want, just fly away because they can't catch you.

However, fighting the KI-84 is a little different. I don't fly the F6F much nor the Corrsair. I still prefer flying the P-47, P-51, and B-25J.

VW-IceFire
02-17-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm making a campaign for the F6F5 right now actually. I really like this fighter alot...I also like the Corsair but in my efforts to build upto a Corsair campaign, I ended up using the Hellcat instead.

Anyways, the Hellcat is really a superb middle war fighter online and a great fighter against most of the Japanese arsenal. You need to use speed and altitude against your opponents. The Hellcat dives pretty fast, its tough, its got good firepower against its opponents, and its very easily controlled at anything between 200 and 600 kph. Thats impressive for any fighter.

At speed, the Hellcat is more agile than any of the Zero's. You have to fight smart but you're doing it in a superb fighter.

Yimmy
02-17-2005, 02:21 PM
I have been ground pounding a bit in it recently on the pacific merged new server, and yes, it is amazingle stable at high speeds.

Dive down at a 45 degree angle from ~3500m's onto a ship and you get to 750km/h as steady as a rock.

3.JG51_BigBear
02-17-2005, 06:35 PM
The Hellcat can be flonw much like the FW. Just get some altitude, I'd say a good 1000-1500m about whatever action seems to be going on and then dive through it. Pick a target, dive and fire at close range. If the target breaks hard let him go, don't do more than a quarter of a turn before you climb away again. In a lot of situations a hard break will leave your opponent low on speed and you can limb and dive on him again fairly quickly. Also, to do anything with those fifties I would recomment setting your convergence to 100 maybe 150 meters and hold fire until your in close to make the ammo last. Also, keep your throttle at about 95% as much as possible while in combat. This way you can run the engine pretty hard with the cowel flaps closed and you don't have to think about overheating. Just use the top end of the power band when the stuff hits the fan.

If you find yourself with a Zero, Ki-43 or even a Ki-61 for that matter. Dive. Even against the Ki-61 this will work eventaully. You'll gain a heck of a lot of speed and the fragile Japanese planes won't be able to follow. You also retain much greater control over your plane at those speeds than the the pilot of the Japanese plane. Try using some high energy manuevers to shake the bogey.

Finally, don't expect to stand up to the Ki-84. The Hellcat, being a carrier plane, is heavy and robust and made to carry a lot of ordinance to a combat zone kinda far away. The Hellcat just isn't going to have the performance of the hot rod land based fighters like the Ki-84 and the P-51.

Yimmy
02-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I just spent an unhealthy amount of time in the new merged late war pacific server, flying the F6F5 constantly, and the Ki84C was having me for breakfast when it found me - there simply was no escaping it, not in climb or speed, and those 30mm's will go through the best of armour (if they hit).

The F6F is great fun to fly though. As long as you don't go past 810~20km/h in a long dive you stay fairly stable (and your wings dont drop off!). I found it very effective when taking off, going to 4000-5000m's (engaging supercharger stage 2 at ~2700m's), flying withing a couple of clicks to the target, and then entering a 45 degree dive, gaining a speed of 750km/h, before shallowing the dive for a skip bomb attack on a ship. The flak normally has a very hard time hitting you if done right, and with your built up speed you can gain some altitude, with which to enter into another (shallower) dive back to home base. That way it is near impossible for a zero to intercept you (of course the Ki84 still being a problem).

That said, I did get a few Ki84's.... on take off. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VW-IceFire
02-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Ki-84 is essentially superior to the F6F in most ways. Its not always the nicest of planes to fly (it has a nasty shudder) but its superior. The Ki-84 was definately the most dangerous opponent to Allied fighters. Even the much better performing Mustang (in relation to the F6F) was threatened by the Ki-84 at low and mid level altitudes.

Of course, the USN was converting some of its squadrons to F4U's for carrier ops by the time the Ki-84 was available and the 84 was in so few numbers with less trained pilots and poor maintenance.