PDA

View Full Version : AI and emergency landings

DD_NL
01-25-2005, 06:13 AM
When my plane is shot to hell but I'm too low to the ground to bail I'll try to land the plane, reduce speed, flaps and gear down etc.

I have noticed that AI will also try to set their planes down in some cases, but they never use flaps and lower the gear, they just belly-flop on the ground. Anyone else notice this?

kit_lg2002
01-25-2005, 06:26 AM
When landing in the field its better not to lower your gear, at least i dont lower the gear, its not so bumpy without gears, and you stop faster http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ColoradoBBQ
01-25-2005, 06:30 AM
The AI has only the default best glide path for emergency landing. They do not look for roads, glides into forests and does not try to land on the flatest ground around. Using gears and flaps would be moot since they would only slow the AI aircraft into a stall or flip them over violently upon landing and explode.

DD_NL
01-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Aha. Ok thanks :-)

Zeus-cat
01-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Depending on the damage to your plane, no flaps may be a better option than using flaps. If one wing is all shot up you may lose lift (or unbalance your airplane) and stall if you slow down to a normal landing speed with flaps.

Zeus-cat