PDA

View Full Version : How do I find a planes stalling speed?

blazer-glory
05-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Erm,thats it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

fherathras
05-23-2005, 10:41 AM
just fly the plane in question, slower and slower until it stalls, note the speed of whitch it stalls...

thats it

blazer-glory
05-23-2005, 10:49 AM
But when I do that the nose drops,the plane desends and regains speed again and so avoiding a stall. Im confused :s

Deedsundone
05-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Keep it level until it stalls ,then check the speed.

blazer-glory
05-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Ah,thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Owlsphone
05-23-2005, 11:39 AM
You can stall a plane at any speed.

blazer-glory
05-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Oh,I was justing working out the best speed for landing. Ive heard its near the speed of a stall for an aircraft so I needed to work out what it was.

han freak solo
05-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by blazer-glory:
But when I do that the nose drops,the plane desends and regains speed again and so avoiding a stall. Im confused :s

That nose drop represents the stall. Don't confuse a spin with a stall. The spin happens if you don't recover from the stall fast enough. Sometimes, nothing you do is fast enough to prevent a spin.

You can "fly" a plane into a landing as well as "stall it" to a landing. The P-40B/C treats me right if I fly it down (land) above stall speed and keep the tailwheel up for as long as possible.

jeroenrepk
05-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Most planes have a landing speed around 200km/h (with full flaps and landing gear). The 109's are best flown a little bit faster, and the P-47 too. The carrier planes land around 180km/h, with the wildcat even slower.

Most of the time the general rule suits in: if a plane is designed to go fast, you need a speed a bit higher than 200km/h and vica versa.

han freak solo
05-23-2005, 04:54 PM
That Wildcat can go pretty slow. Approach speed onto a carrier for me is 90 mph.

PBNA-Boosher
05-23-2005, 05:21 PM
200? ARE YOU KIDDING?

I touch these planes down at 160kph normally.

FI-Aflak
05-23-2005, 05:36 PM
I usually put my wheels down between 110 and 150 kph, usually around 130.

kinda hard to see cause you've usually got the nose pretty high up at that speed to maintain a sane descent speed, and 30% or so power to keep it from dropping farther.

That said, I've put planes down at 300kph before.

if I have wing damage I land fast, 160-200kph.

heywooood
05-23-2005, 07:43 PM
that is fast....During the check ride, when the factory rep from Piper came out and showed us around the ol' Cherokee, the main thing was the stall speed and charateristic of the plane.

The guy says "every plane has a different characteristic when it stalls...a different tendency." The Cherokee Arrow II has a similar wing planform to a Mustang if not the same size or airfoil exactly...and the stall was very...gradual.
Some airplanes stall more quickly - they go from flying to falling almost instantly..its all about the min. flying speed, which is different from one plane type to another.

...we started off at almost 10,000ft and 160kts and pulled back on the yoke...keeping the wings level....airspeed dropping to 110 or so...100kts and then the stall warning light and buzzer..then the shudder..notice just before that the mushy feel of the ailerons...

Then the slight lift in the stomach as the bottom falls out and the Cherokee stays relatively wing level and stable...power on smooth and even...push the nose over slightly and do it again until you are comfortable with the airplanes min. flying speed - after this exercise, landings were very smooth...and welcome.

AerialTarget
05-24-2005, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by han freak solo:
That nose drop represents the stall. Don't confuse a spin with a stall. The spin happens if you don't recover from the stall fast enough.

That's not true. The nose drop that occurs when your airspeed is low is not a stall. It's just the natural lowering of the nose as the speed lowers, just as the nose rises when the speed rises. You can always keep the plane level (not gaining or losing altitude) until the actual stall. If you start to lose altitude before the stall, you aren't pulling back hard enough; this is not the stall.

To stall the plane, you have to keep the plane level. Watch your descent rate indicator. When you hit the stall airspeed, the stall will occur. In real life, in most aircraft, the nose will very suddenly drop to a shallow dive angle. Less forgiving aircraft will drop a wing, although usually slower than they do in the game. In the game, however, you will not experience any nose drop stalls, as they are not currently implemented in the game. The four point zero patch might change that.

wintergoose
05-24-2005, 04:22 AM
I have notised that I have to use a speed around 200km/h to land safely.
If I lands with autopilot on the landing speed is down to 130 km/h, but if I try this the plain always crash.
Spesialy I have worked with the Bf 110.
My problem or ??

WereSnowleopard
05-24-2005, 03:41 PM
If you have backfeel joystick, you can feel it shake as wing shudder as it start lost air flow from airfoil. Also visual shaking in cockpit(realistic setting) Oh you talking about landing speed just before stalling speed! just look at color highlight speed. Also if full load like full fuel tank then need little fast landing.

Also no matter how fast you fly, you can get stalling depend how high you fly and how hard you turn around or pitch nose high in dogfight. Best example plane in IL2 to go stall in high speed while dogfight. it is called "flat spinning" is P-39 that you can not recover from stall spinning. (sometime it went flat spin in upside down)

Cheers
Snowleopard

han freak solo
05-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by AerialTarget:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by han freak solo:
That nose drop represents the stall. Don't confuse a spin with a stall. The spin happens if you don't recover from the stall fast enough.

That's not true. The nose drop that occurs when your airspeed is low is not a stall. It's just the natural lowering of the nose as the speed lowers, just as the nose rises when the speed rises. You can always keep the plane level (not gaining or losing altitude) until the actual stall. If you start to lose altitude before the stall, you aren't pulling back hard enough; this is not the stall.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't mean the nose dropping due to lessening power or airspeed. I meant flying level or climbing while losing airspeed, continually pulling back on the elevators until the stall happens. Then the nose drops (or breaks) from the stall. That's how I remember it from my student pilot days.

AerialTarget
05-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Ah, I'm sorry. I thought you meant in the game. In real life, it is as you say. However, in the game, the wing will dip every time, instead of the nose drop.

han freak solo
05-24-2005, 06:26 PM
I was mistaken for confusing the game with memory outside of the game. I never tried controlled stalls in the game until just a few moments ago. Your right, it does not happen. The wing dips either left or right.

Oh well, it makes for a challenging game!

Here's proof!

http://www.lssdigital.com/stallpractice.jpg