PDA

View Full Version : Ki-100 goshikisen

SS_Bubblehead
12-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Wow, I am excited about this one. Havent even flown all the current PF fighters, too busy with Beaufighter missions.

Anyway, dont know much about the Ki-100. The screens are great, seems like a larger than average fighter, especially for Japan. Very long wingspan, any relation to the Ta-152? Can anyone elaborate?

Thanks

ElAurens
12-04-2004, 11:38 AM
If you search around you will find a lot of info on this AC has been posted before.

Essentially it is a Kawasaki Ki 61 Hien (Tony) with a Mitsubishi radial engine from a medium bomber installed. this was done after the plant where the engines for the Tony were manufactured was bombed. there were over 270 airframes without engines, so a programme was initiated that very quickly came up with this installation. It produced a fighter that was second only to the Ki84 for the IJAAF.

VW-IceFire
12-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Actually, the Ki-100 has the same wingspan as the Ki-61. Infact, it is a Ki-61. With a radial engine (because the new in-line engines for the Ki-61-II's had been destroyed in a bombing raid).

There was a prototype Ki-100 with an extended wing but I don't think these got very far.

In any case, the Ki-100 is an impressive plane for a couple of reasons:

1) Resourcefulness of the Japanese aviation industry to mate a radial engine to an aircraft designed for a smaller thinner engine in the face of American bombing raids

2) New engine allows it to achieve a decent speed (around 365 mph at medium altitude) while being lighter than the original and therefore making the plane more manuverable than before.

3) A fairly tough design. Has some protection and armor. The engine was reliable as well.

I think I'll like this plane for its late war appeal not because it will outstrip a US plane but because its fairly impressive in its own right. The Ki-84 is still more powerful. But the Ki-100 will have very good manuverability, a decent top speed, decent construction, and firepower thats good enough (2 heavy mg, 2 20mm cannon).

NORAD_Zooly10
12-04-2004, 12:07 PM
iirc there were 2 main versions of the Ki100, the first being the 'razorback' and the newer 'bubbletop'.
it would be nice to see both but i'll be just as happy with flying a Ki100 PERIOD.
~S~
Zooly

goshikisen
12-04-2004, 01:18 PM
You can probably tell that I'm somewhat enthused by this particular addition to PF.

Regards, Goshikisen

Waldo.Pepper
12-04-2004, 05:17 PM
If I remember correctly yhe Ki-100 is about 5 mph slower that the Ki-61. Hmmm! Maybe not that great after all. Still I really like the plane.

RocketDog
12-04-2004, 05:32 PM
If you download the latest version of IL2 Compare it has performance graphs in it for the Ki-100-1.

If the figures are correct (and I don't know how they came to be in IL-2 Compare) then it is about as fast as a Hellcat up to ~ 3000 m and significantly slower above, it has better climb up to ~ 6,000 m and can turn much better except at high speeds. It's no super aircraft and will struggle to hold its own against any late-war Allied fighter except at low level, where it will be about equal. The Ki-84 series looks a lot better.

Regards,

RocketDog.

VW-IceFire
12-04-2004, 05:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
If I remember correctly yhe Ki-100 is about 5 mph slower that the Ki-61. Hmmm! Maybe not that great after all. Still I really like the plane. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
From the looks of it in IL-2 Comapare...the Ki-100 is faster at low altitudes but it evens out as the altitude increases and the Ki-61 is better at higher alts.

Its not the super fighter people have been worried about http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I like it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SS_Bubblehead
12-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info.

Also found some interesting tid bits.

Maj. Yohei Hinoki leader 1 St. Daitai

" It was easy for us to shoot these P-51s down, for their sole defensive maneuver was to perform a circular turn." http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Also found:

< Ki-100 > Considered by many to be Japan's best fighter of the war, it was born out of the need for an aircraft that could intercept AAF B-29s raiding home islands at altitudes of around 30,000 ft.

Hence the reason I thought it was similar to the Ta-152 but I guess the fact that it has a radial rules that out. I am still learning.

Seems the gunsight is similiar to a german design this a possibility?

VW-IceFire
12-04-2004, 09:53 PM
There was a need...but the Ki-100 never fufilled it. A prototype variant might have...but never came into use.

chris455
12-04-2004, 10:04 PM
" It was easy for us to shoot these P-51s down, for their sole defensive maneuver was to perform a circular turn."

Who was flying the P-51s? The Spice Girls? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Waldo.Pepper
12-05-2004, 12:10 AM
As much as I respect IL2-compare I care more about what was apparently reality.

Francillon page 130 -

"the Ki-100 had slightly slower maximum speed due to the engines larger frontal drag, but other performance figures were comparable."

Ki-100 Max speed 580km/h @ 6000m
Ki-61 610 at 6000m

ElAurens
12-05-2004, 12:21 AM
It is best to take Francillon with a grain of salt as well. Much of his work on performance figures was extrapolated, or taken from the TAIC information, which in itself is highly dubious, because many of the performance nmbers there were estimates.

Waldo.Pepper
12-05-2004, 12:46 AM
Yup ElAurens I agree, I take everything with salt.

I guess we'll know in '2 weeks.'