PDA

View Full Version : Theatre Of War Demo released

EURO_Snoopy
04-18-2007, 03:47 AM
After years of waiting, Theatre of War is finally being released and to celebrate the event we are happy to make available the game demo.
The demo features 5 tutorial missions which cover the basics of gameplay, unit control and camera behavior as well as more advanced topics like Line of Fire and Line of Sight. In addition to the playable tutorials there is also one playable mission from the German Campaign, The Last Frontier. In this late war engagement, you are tasked to try and stem the overwhelming tide of Russian armor and infantry as they push forward into the Seelow Heights on the outskirts of Berlin.

Playable units and weapons in this battle include; MG Bunkers, Infantry, Panzerfaust 60's, RPzB 54 Panzerschrecks, PzKpfw IV 70 Jadgpanzer, Jadgtiger, PaK 40's, Hummel, Wespe, PzKpfw 38(t) Hetzer, Pz IV Ausf. H, Pz V Ausf. G Panther and the StuG IV.

Download link (http://battlefront.com/products/tow/demo.html)

bazzaah2
04-18-2007, 03:54 AM
excellent, will download that a bit later!

thanks for the heads up!

Yellow_Sub
04-18-2007, 06:48 AM
Is it a real time strategy game or round based? I prefer the later.

leitmotiv
04-18-2007, 07:24 AM
http://gaming.tweaktown.com/articles/790/theatre_of_war...c_preview/index.html (http://gaming.tweaktown.com/articles/790/theatre_of_war_hands_on_pc_preview/index.html)

PBNA-Boosher
04-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Sweet! My Pre-order d/l is only a few days away then!

leitmotiv
04-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Ditto. Can't wait. Yum.

WWSpinDry
04-18-2007, 09:29 AM
I'll bet the Panther G's damage model is porked. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

leitmotiv
04-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Oh no, here we go.... Yeah, the P-51s looked way porked, too.

WWSpinDry
04-18-2007, 09:53 AM
They can do whatever they like with the P-51 model, just so long as there's a little blinking banner over each one that says, "Won the war; haha!"

leitmotiv
04-18-2007, 09:59 AM
And, as long as the Tiger IIs can only be destroyed with Grand Slam bombs!

crazyivan1970
04-18-2007, 10:01 AM
This is great news!

WWSpinDry
04-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Or by .50 cals!

WWSpinDry
04-18-2007, 10:03 AM
To get back on topic, this looks like an amazing game! The only down side is I needn't think about getting sucked into playing it. What gaming time I have available to me I need to devote to learning to not-suck at flying in IL-2! I expect to be years at it, at my current rate. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

bazzaah2
04-18-2007, 11:34 AM
took it for a quick spin and I'd like to say that i've been waiting for this game, without realising it, for years!

Can't wait for the full game!

leitmotiv
04-18-2007, 12:56 PM
This is an uprated version of Battlefront's Combat Mission series with real time and 1C's graphics---it is a tactical simulator, not a no brains RTS super-shooter. It ought to be real good.

Aaron_GT
04-18-2007, 02:05 PM
I tried the demo. You need a powerful PC for this game, it seems. More powerful than a 3000 class AMD processor and 1GB RAM at least...

ploughman
04-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
I tried the demo. You need a powerful PC for this game, it seems. More powerful than a 3000 class AMD processor and 1GB RAM at least...

That's me f00ked then. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

One of these days...

bazzaah2
04-18-2007, 02:33 PM
well I've had 3 ctd's in the last few minutes. guess i'll wait till the first patch is out before I get it.

Choctaw111
04-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Downloading now. I hope that it is as fun to play as the movies make it out to be. We will see in a half hour. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ploughman
04-18-2007, 03:08 PM
'Ere, Will it have a mission builder (not the demo, the final release)?

Endy1
04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
bazzaah, did you run the towsetup.exe before you launched the demo?

Thanks for the heads-up Snoopy.

AVG_WarHawk
04-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
'Ere, Will it have a mission builder (not the demo, the final release)?

Yes, Mission Editor

Operating System: Windows XP
Processor: Pentium IV 3.2 GHz, or equivalent AMD Processor or better
Video Card: GeForce 6800 or Radeon x800
(128 Megabyte VRAM or better)
Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card
System Memory: 1 Gigabyte
Hard Drive Space: 3 Gigabyte
Other Requirements: DVD Drive (not needed for download version)
* Windows Vista: Make sure you have the latest, non-beta drivers for your video and sound card to ensure compatability in Windows Vista.

** Windows Vista 64 bit: Due to an incompatability between Vista 64 bit and Theatre of War, the Mission Editor will NOT function in Vista 64 bit.

LEBillfish
04-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Not that it's poorly done by any means yet will take me a month just to get a handle on it.....Very complex and though it looks like it would be great fun would take 10x longer to "really" play one mission then fly a full IL2 mission.

Would really like to try it/learn it.....Just will take a lot before I can do anything in it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

BfHeFwMe
04-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Can I order the gestapo in to shoot a few of my men if they grumble against my commands? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

buglord
04-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Downloading now. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

leitmotiv
04-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Never fear, BF, I'll probably be getting whipped by the AI in July. I'm a slow learner. I managed to run a 109G off the runway in FSX today because I screwed up my power settings. Agh.

bazzaah2
04-19-2007, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Endy1:
bazzaah, did you run the towsetup.exe before you launched the demo?

Thanks for the heads-up Snoopy.

Just had another quick look and everything loaded up just fine this time. will definitely be getting this game.

Bakelit
04-19-2007, 11:32 AM
"I tried the demo. You need a powerful PC for this game, it seems. More powerful than a 3000 class AMD processor and 1GB RAM at least..."

I can agree with that. 3.06 P4, 1GB RAM, 7600GT, Soundblaster live - 1946 runs very very smooth, ditto for many other flight sims and even Half Life 2 tech demo.

But this tactical game chuggs along with 5 fps at the end of the Seelow scenario. I think its unoptimised somehow or my own machine does not like it.

I wonder what machine could have run it if it came out 2 1/2 years ago like it was supposed to be?

Don't mean to be negative as I quite like it but its not quite what I thought it would be.

Aaron_GT
04-19-2007, 01:14 PM
My video card is an ATI 9800 Pro. I doubt I was even getting 5ps on the Seelow scenario. I'd need a serious upgrade of all components to get the demo running optimally, which is somewhat worrying . If the game is such a resource hog then I am concerned that it will get critically panned and flop. I suppose that means it might be in the bargain bins in 18 months when my PC upgrades might have caught up with the processing power required.

M_Gunz
04-19-2007, 01:29 PM
It leaves me wondering if the slowdown is something simple yet no definite solution from what
the tech support forum looks like -or- the dev team has special PC's and little concern for
what the buying public is using. I won't bother with it, 2.5AMD with 1G 333 RAM... no chance.

What a drag.

Bakelit
04-19-2007, 01:56 PM
If the game is such a resource hog then I am concerned that it will get critically panned and flop.

Aaron_GT: Totally agree. I still hope there is maybe some unused routine running in the background which has not been spotted and can be fixed with a patch somehow.

Many, maybe most hardcore wargamers don't possess the fast machines that flight simmers tend to have and when they come from Combat Mission or such they are in for a surprise.

I hope that this game is successful: I can't stand "health bars" and "repair trucks" in the ww2 scenario...

ICDP
04-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Do not enable any FSAA with this game. It will crawl at 5FPS with any kind of FSAA enabled, even on my 8800GTX.

WWSpinDry
04-19-2007, 05:00 PM
From SimHQ:

Buildings are present in the game, but unfortunately the developers were never able to really get the infantry to use them properly. This means that infantry cannot set-up in buildings. Snipers can't fire from church steeples, machine guns can't set-up from inside houses and soldiers can't take cover in basements when indirect fire comes down on them. While not a total game stopper, it is a real problem in a game that is trying to present total realism. If there is one real patch that the team really needs to work on, it is this problem. I don't care how they fix it, but they need to fix the inability to get into buildings. Cover and concealment are the biggest protectants of the infantry and eliminating buildings is tantamount to leaving them hung out to dry.

leitmotiv
04-19-2007, 05:35 PM
This is like having your airplane bounce off a cloud! Paaaaaaaaaaaatchhhhhhhhh!

Choctaw111
04-19-2007, 06:33 PM
The button click sounds effects in the menu screens are the EXACT SAME as in Il2! I noticed it right away and got a big kick out of it... It really doesn't take much to amuse me.

p-11.cAce
04-19-2007, 06:42 PM
I had really high hope for this one...getting nervous...

MB80
04-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Ohh.. something slows down the gamespeed after 20 min of playin'. And the german soldiers doing suicide in the trenches with HEAT grenades.. nice!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Buzzsaw-
04-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Salute

Something from the developers.

When configuring:

Unless you have a core two set of dual processors, DO NOT tick the box telling the game to use both processors, it actually slows things.

Second, try resolutions less than the max to start.

It takes some time to get used to the controls.

To make it easier, slow your mouse speed. Don't forget to use the ability of the camera to move in all three dimensions.

MarkSynthesis
04-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Unless you have a core two set of dual processors, DO NOT tick the box telling the game to use both processors, it actually slows things.

Wait...so...only tick it if you've got 2 dual cores?

I've got an AMD Dual Core Opteron....I'm a little confused at what you meant...

FritzGryphon
04-19-2007, 09:16 PM
I couldn't get the game to load with anything but 1024x768. Might try that if it doesn't work for you.

But even when the game does load, it crashes while loading missions, and randomly CTDs while playing. The FPS is fine, it just doesn't play for more than 10 minutes.

The game looks nice otherwise, I'm just sad to see the demo released when it doesn't work. A lot of people who might have got the game, won't now.

Aaron_GT
04-20-2007, 02:48 AM
A lot of people who might have got the game, won't now.

It was something I was interested in but unless there is a Mark 2 demo which I can get to run satisfactorily on my PC I am not likely to make a purchase. True, my PC isn't cutting edge, but even so... (I'd prefer not to upgrade until after BoB:SoW is released, hopefully taking advantage on ebay of those upgrading to the cutting edge to get the components to make my PC one step back from that, but still reasonably powerful).

Aaron_GT
04-20-2007, 02:50 AM
A lot of people who might have got the game, won't now.

I couldn't get the game to load with anything but 1024x768.

I swapped the resolution to 1280x1024 as that is the native resolution of my monitor and I prefer that to a slightly blurry 1024x768. I then dropped down the video quality settings to compensate.

It might be worth checking whether it is a memory leak as the game speed initially is ok, it just gets slower and slower as time goes on.

ploughman
04-20-2007, 03:06 AM
I hope you guys are posting this stuff on their forums too so they can't fix it. When I finally get this I want it running smoothly. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

bazzaah2
04-20-2007, 03:12 AM
I'll have to pass - my system just won't cut it - 3ghz P4 Springdale, X850pro. I'm getting 8fps on the demo playing the Seelow heights battle. Just not much fun to play with those frame rates.

My rig was bound to become obsolete in gaming terms of course, just don't feel like wedging out anything up to 800-1000 to get a nice new shiny rig to play this game.

But TOW has real potential for sure.

Kurfurst__
04-20-2007, 03:20 AM
Not having much trouble running it, but it's not very entertaining on the long run. The controls are just clumsy., and you have very little control over what your troops are doing after you deployed them. With the distances being real, pace of action being real, damage being real, it's just hard to follow and even more to control what is happening. Like in real life, if you do a mistke there's not much you can do afterwards to correct it.. One thing I've noticed though is that tanks have a bit excessive tendency to loose guns IHMO. I haven't figured out if you can retreat with tanks in reverse, showing the front armor to the enemy.

I am sure the ex-CM guys will love it, on the plus side it's absolutely realistic and well detailed. Unfortunately ou'll likely miss all that detail since everything goes very fast, overviewing the battlefield is difficult. I sure like realism, but this isn't for fun, it's a barebone tactical war simulation.

I wonder if it will have MP option, and how that would work out.

Bewolf
04-20-2007, 03:43 AM
I actually like it a lot. But I have the same FPS problems. THe thing is, even with cutting out "all" the graphics option, it doe snot change mauch. At the end of the Seelow mission it is nearly unplayable. This happens when all the infantry comes onto the field. Once they are killed ir runs smooth again.

ploughman
04-20-2007, 03:51 AM
Try here. (http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=66;t=000012;p=2) There's a guy who thinks he's figured out what the problem is.

K_Freddie
04-20-2007, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by bazzaah2:
I'll have to pass - my system just won't cut it - 3ghz P4 Springdale, X850pro. I'm getting 8fps on the demo playing the Seelow heights battle. Just not much fun to play with those frame rates.

My rig was bound to become obsolete in gaming terms of course, just don't feel like wedging out anything up to 800-1000 to get a nice new shiny rig to play this game.

But TOW has real potential for sure.

Sounds like they've programmed it in 'BASIC'. If we keep needing major upgrades for our PC's every game - the developers are messing-up (doing it the quick and dirty way to maximise profits). Put some serious work/planning into games please!!!

Bakelit
04-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Disabling FSAA or changing resolutions or ingame video quality does not do much, at most 1-3 fps for me.

Seelow still unplayable when first reinforcements come in. My GPU 7600GT) does not even get hot as in Far Cry or 1946 or WoV. Apart from the water there is not much shader evidence anyway.

I think that either the engine can't handle that many units or trees, or there ist some optimisation missing or broken code left or whatever.

leitmotiv
04-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Pman---the old forgot to upgrade drivers bit!

M_Gunz
04-20-2007, 07:07 AM
A handful of my squadmates got it and none had problems with FPS. They all have PC's as good
or better than required and they are the ones with lots of experience running the new sims and
shooters and a few of those are systems pros. Yet none of them even posted about needing to
fix anything so I'm guessing it's a configuration thing, perhaps tasks loaded too?

Bakelit
04-20-2007, 08:12 AM
M_Gunz: You may be right after all.
Its just that I never had all that problems that others have had with the IL2 series and everything else runs good on my pc so the newcomer gets the sceptical look first http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Still not finished tweaking and I won't give up easily. I am proud owner of the original Rowans Battle of Britain from Dec 2000 on and that needed lost of tweaking, fiddling and fixes...

slappedsilly
04-20-2007, 08:43 AM
My system has no trouble at all running this. I have a dual core so I set it to use one core (read that somewhere) I haven't had any slowdowns at all.

amd 4400 dual core with 1 7800gt, 2gigs ram. My system is not all that either. Many systems with better specs are reporting problems but keep tweaking it should work fine.

Kurfurst__
04-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Having ventured a bit deeper... I don't know, this program still needs a lot of tinkering, and balancing.

A lousy PaK 40 anti-tank gun costs something like 300 credits, whereas a Panther which is armored, has a much better gun and of course mobile has something like 400..? The Jagdtiger, which is truely a beast, is just 600?

I wasn't much into CM, but the 'prices' were much more reasonable... also the penetration figures are bit odd sometimes.