PDA

View Full Version : what is the best sever?

doogerie
02-10-2009, 05:59 AM
for somone who has hardley ever flowen online befor?

montecristo1981
02-10-2009, 11:06 AM
If you use hyperlobby,you can see the dificultysettings for the server befroe you join.

Im pretty new so i cant recommend one particular server, but I would say pick one with external views on unless you have TrackIR, or are very good using the mouse for looking simultaneously to flying. Other wise you wil probably just get shot down repeatedly without seeing who did it. Even if you do see them coming, you will lose them after the first pass.

RS_Spitslayer
02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Rogue Saints

xTHRUDx
02-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by doogerie:
for somone who has hardley ever flowen online befor?

tough question, that's like saying "what's the best flavor of ice cream?"

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-10-2009, 11:33 AM
I would say Skies of Fire or Skies of Valor.

Xiolablu3
02-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Ukdedicated 1 or 2

VW-IceFire
02-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Ukdedicated 1 or 2
QFT

If you want objective based play then UK-Dedicated1 is the way to get started. Read the rules and get started!

Hoep
02-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Don't forget to give a try to WoP servers (spits vs. 109, zeke vs. wildcats)...they are, imho, the best full-real servers available out there!
U'll find them in HL and in the All seeing aye

crucislancer
02-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Ukdedicated 1 or 2
QFT

If you want objective based play then UK-Dedicated1 is the way to get started. Read the rules and get started! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another vote for UK Ded 1 and 2, and even 3. It's been a while since I've been online, but those are my go to servers, particularly 2 and 3.

waffen-79
02-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Skies of Valour FTW

Cockpit ON
Fast Paced Action
Objectives Oriented Missions
Relistic Plane Set (even when flying what-if missions)

For me it's all about how much time I have to spend flying

If I have plenty of time and I'm flying with my entire squad then Spits vs 109 it is

regards

Terrenceflynn
09-06-2009, 10:45 PM
It is not Skies of Valor.

The admins are bullies, and have no problem threatening people from behind their computers.

It is a close loop server, meaning the small group it is for fly with code and mods running up high scores.

To be very honest, I spent two whole years boxing. It is amazing how people think they are tough guys behind their computers. The SOV crew is not doing the IL2 name right.

Here are some of there famous moves: kicking people when they are over the target, and personally berating people on this and their forums.

There is an anti axis bias as it relates to game play at SOV, and I wish the 13 year olds would grow up.

general_kalle
09-06-2009, 11:57 PM
UK-dedicated 2 !!!

Skoshi Tiger
09-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Terrenceflynn:

The admins are bullies, and have no problem threatening people from behind their computers.

It is a close loop server, meaning the small group it is for fly with code and mods running up high scores.

To be very honest, I spent two whole years boxing. It is amazing how people think they are tough guys behind their computers. The SOV crew is not doing the IL2 name right.

Here are some of there famous moves: kicking people when they are over the target, and personally berating people on this and their forums.

There is an anti axis bias as it relates to game play at SOV, and I wish the 13 year olds would grow up.

I fly alot on Skies of Valour and haven't had too many problems.

Things that will get you kicked are foul language, chat flame wars, too many team kills and shoulder shooting. All listed in the rules.

Things like team kills are administered automatically by the server with no action by the moderators.

There is an appeals process if you disagree with the decision. Go to the SOF forum and leave a message in the Brigg!

Personally I've had alot of fun at SOV and have found the moderators a very responsible bunch.

Cheers

Jure_502
09-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Uk dedicated 1,2 and 3. STOP.

doraemil
09-07-2009, 04:14 AM
the one's that don't kick you for BnZ.

or the one that has the most fun

I liked warclouds, until I got shot down . . . repeatedly.

yeah i'm not so good in closed captioned shows.

no seriously.

My picking style . . .

low ping rate, below 200.

If its higher I get that frame by frame effect like watching blue ray def movies on a PC that I can't fix b/c parts aren't made for it anymore and are deemed 'classic' parts / expensive.

the crowd. Is either side balanced? Is there only 5 people in there or 20?

I tend to stay away from ones where they type in all caps or have darth vader voices yelling "PWNED" or from ones that have more than four people with same prefixes to their names like -=69_Boys=- b/c once they fixate on you . . .

what's toggled. You kinda know what rules you want to play with.

Ok arcade gunnery and all realistic flight unchecked can be cool for .3 minutes but then it doesn't feel right. Ok I'm guilty for being in that unlimted ammo server, but at least they had realistic gunnery and flight http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

description / briefing.

DKoor
09-07-2009, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by crucislancer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Ukdedicated 1 or 2
QFT

If you want objective based play then UK-Dedicated1 is the way to get started. Read the rules and get started! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another vote for UK Ded 1 and 2, and even 3. It's been a while since I've been online, but those are my go to servers, particularly 2 and 3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Vote #4.

DKoor
09-07-2009, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by doraemil:
the one's that don't kick you for BnZ.

or the one that has the most fun

I liked warclouds, until I got shot down . . . repeatedly. That is because people overthere are flying in gangs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .
You really have no chance without wingman to do something of importance there besides maybe to shot down few unsuspecting enemies and to get tail waxed several times in the process.

No comms, no wingie = no chance in WC.

I know I've been flying there solo a lot.

Pigeon_
09-07-2009, 05:23 AM
Try UK dedicated 1. Good difficulty settings for the online novice. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MrSteven37
09-07-2009, 05:27 AM
"No comms, no wingie = no chance in WC."

Hehe that's not true at all, I fly pretty much exclusively on Spit_vs_109_Mod and never with a wingman or comms. I would never dare play anything that isn't full switch realism, it's just not fun. Today I had about forty minutes to get a flight or two in, took a Spit Vc up, shot down 3 109's, and landed unscathed. You just have to practice...alot.

Viper2005_
09-07-2009, 05:28 AM
WarClouds.

It's tough, but if you get on TS then there will usually be somebody around to help you, and the satisfaction of succeeding in a difficult environment makes the pain of the learning progress worthwhile.

GH_Klingstroem
09-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by MrSteven37:

Hehe that's not true at all, I fly pretty much exclusively on Spit_vs_109_Mod and never with a wingman or comms. I would never dare play anything that isn't full switch realism, it's just not fun. Today I had about forty minutes to get a flight or two in, took a Spit Vc up, shot down 3 109's, and landed unscathed. You just have to practice...alot.

Yes that might be true for "spits vs 109s" which is ALOT easier to survive and score kills in compared to Warclouds!!

Manu-6S
09-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by GH_Klingstroem:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrSteven37:

Yes that might be true for "spits vs 109s" which is ALOT easier to survive and score kills in compared to Warclouds!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree... Spitvs109 is a full difficulty server for noobs.

AndyJWest
09-07-2009, 08:09 AM
I've just been on Skies of Fire, and it is a bit jerky, but that's probably my duff hardware. It would be a fine server, if it wasn't for the endless chat about kill-stealing - I've never known a server to be so bad. Maybe I just picked the wrong time to join, but it spoiled it for me, and I left after about half an hour. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I'd much rather fly on a server where people could chill out a bit: this is supposed to be fun...

Jure_502
09-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by AndyJWest:
I've just been on Skies of Fire, and it is a bit jerky, but that's probably my duff hardware. It would be a fine server, if it wasn't for the endless chat about kill-stealing - I've never known a server to be so bad. Maybe I just picked the wrong time to join, but it spoiled it for me, and I left after about half an hour. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I'd much rather fly on a server where people could chill out a bit: this is supposed to be fun...

Believe me, you aren't lonely here. Skies of fire are for me skies of anarchy - kill stealing, cutting in, shoulder shooting all in the package of wrong markings and no objectives.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Erkki_M
09-07-2009, 09:00 AM
I never play on servers with external views enabled... And the so praised UKdeds(apart from the third, which unfortunately never has players), skies of fire/valor and many more. Not for some 6 years....

<if you look for the highest average player skill level and co-operation level go WarClouds. If you prefer to have even the last boxes checked go WOP servers. If you like (reasonably) unbiased missions without having the same planeset 24/7 try CH_AH. The out-of-HL ADW is an FR df-based generating online war with people working by far the most together. Skill level is als comprable to WarClouds.

Xiolablu3
09-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Ukded2 has the same settings, but HAD more variety on the planesets. (not sure if its still the case)

In fact SOV was modelled to be a USA version of UKded2, I believe, and 'borrows' a lot of UKded2 stuff. (They even had a Stuka vs P11 map almost identical to the one on UKded2)

Try Ukded2 out and see if its any better.

megalopsuche
09-07-2009, 09:31 AM
SoV is the best dogfight server I have found. Reasonable icon ranges, great rotating historic matchups... Yeah, it would be better without externals, but it's a necessary tool for policing the server. It doesn't bother me too much anymore because I actually like it when my target sees me coming. The real negative of externals is the through-the-belly view in a knife fight, not the SA boost before an engagement starts.

As for the complaint about their admins, I really don't understand it. I'm an opinionated, talkative flyer, and I've never been booted. Don't swear, don't shoot teammates, show some courtesy, and you won't have any trouble.

------------

Ukded is also good, but the icon ranges for enemies are impossible for me. Maybe if I had a bigger monitor I could handle it, but I just find myself squinting and straining to see the dots.

TooCooL34
09-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by GH_Klingstroem:
Yes that might be true for "spits vs 109s" which is ALOT easier to survive and score kills in compared to Warclouds!!
Typical WC manner for self-styled aces who actually find it hard to navigate without GPS.
Hey Kling, I met you on WC so many times and I also did good with stats for a few years. I never went down under Top 10 in t/s stat.
I never want to brag about it but just wanted to say I might eligible to talk about surviving there.
Skill level of top scorers are not that different and many WC aces moved to spit vs 109. It means rest of the players maybe full-switch-noobs but skill level of hunters is not that different here. Attitude like that made WC empty.
Well, what's the use of talking when WC server is almost always empty except very prime time with same small players.

Lt_Letum
09-07-2009, 09:35 AM
UKD 1,2 or 3 are good starting places.

I highly recommend using Teamspeak too.

The UK Dedicated teamspeak details can be found
at the battle-fields.com forums.
Every day there is a friendly bunch of chaps
there who you will no doubt find invaluable in
answering all the questions a new player might
have.

AndyJWest
09-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Try Ukded2 out and see if its any better.

I've tried Ukded1 & Ukded2, both are much better - I've tended to go for 1 while I'm new to online, but 2 is probably better for learning tactics: I'm not sure I'll ever really have the SA needed for full-real servers, and I'll need 6DoF too, just to check my six...

I spend more time than I ought to on an easy-setting 'furball' server, which probably doesn't help much learning the finer points of tactical fighting. On the other hand, I'm doing this for enjoyment, so why not?

Edit ---
My complaint about Skies of Fire wasn't about the admins, it was about the players non-stop bickering about kill stealing. I don't see how you can get any enjoyment if you take the iffy IL-2 points system too seriously. We can all see it's flawed, so ignore it and fly to meet your own standards (you can award yourself extra points for shooting down kill-stealers on the opposite team, though some of them make it easy for you anyway).

Xiolablu3
09-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Exactly, play whatever settings you feel like.

I really enjoy cockpit on, with externals.

megalopsuche
09-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by AndyJWest:
My complaint about Skies of Fire wasn't about the admins, it was about the players non-stop bickering about kill stealing. I don't see how you can get any enjoyment if you take the iffy IL-2 points system too seriously. We can all see it's flawed, so ignore it and fly to meet your own standards (you can award yourself extra points for shooting down kill-stealers on the opposite team, though some of them make it easy for you anyway).

You weren't the one complaining about SoV, it was someone else.

As for SoF, it's a night-and-day difference between it an SoV. I can't stand SoF and it's hard for me to believe that it's run by the same people as SoV.

megalopsuche
09-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Here was the complaint I was responding to. Nice crew over at SoV, it's a shame to see a post like this.

Originally posted by Terrenceflynn:

As for the anti-axis bias, the only thing I can think of that might be applicable is the usual request for people to switch sides to the red-team, which usually has fewer players. Some have complained that they rarely get to fly blue because of the players who refuse to ever fly red, so if they don't fly red the sides will be imbalanced (and they usually are anyway).

AndyJWest
09-07-2009, 09:54 AM
You weren't the one complaining about SoV, it was someone else.
Oops! You're right - perhaps I should try SoV instead. I think I tried it a few weeks ago, but at the time couldn't handle it. I'm still learning (I hope) so I'll try again.

Xiolablu3 is spot on though. No server is going to suit everyone, and we are lucky to have the variety we do. All credit to those who administer and fund the servers.