PDA

View Full Version : gamepad ?

bail0ut
12-18-2004, 07:48 AM
All,

Have been using a MSFF2 stick for a few years now and would never give it up, however, my nephew was over the other day (10 years old) and wanted to try his hand at PF. His hand are obviously pretty small, but I did have a PS2 style game pad around and hooked it up for him so he could give it a try . After a couple of minutes in the setup screen he was actually off the ground and not doing too badly.

Was wondering if anyone was using a gamepad to fly, and what kind of success they were having. Also wondering about how you setup the pad. I gave it a go and found it tough, but more comfortable to play. Had the right analog mimick the MSFF2, the left one for rudder, triggers for throttle, and digital pad for trim. Other buttons/truggers were basically guns, map, etc.

<insert obligatory, "this guy is using a gamepad" coupled with screenshot of plane in flames, here>

bail0ut

bail0ut
12-18-2004, 07:48 AM
All,

Have been using a MSFF2 stick for a few years now and would never give it up, however, my nephew was over the other day (10 years old) and wanted to try his hand at PF. His hand are obviously pretty small, but I did have a PS2 style game pad around and hooked it up for him so he could give it a try . After a couple of minutes in the setup screen he was actually off the ground and not doing too badly.

Was wondering if anyone was using a gamepad to fly, and what kind of success they were having. Also wondering about how you setup the pad. I gave it a go and found it tough, but more comfortable to play. Had the right analog mimick the MSFF2, the left one for rudder, triggers for throttle, and digital pad for trim. Other buttons/truggers were basically guns, map, etc.

&lt;insert obligatory, "this guy is using a gamepad" coupled with screenshot of plane in flames, here&gt;

bail0ut

han freak solo
12-18-2004, 08:19 AM
I tried a PC gamepad by Gravis a couple years back on CFSII. It didn't give full pitch and roll control, only partial, maybe 75%. You just about can't stall the sim aircraft.

It was a force feed back, but I really think all it was good for is shakin' and bakin'.

I finally gave it to a friend who played the Mech Warrior(?) series.

KarayaEine
12-18-2004, 09:07 AM
I use a gamepad when I travel and take my laptop with me (I have IL-2 installed on a laptop and performance is great) It takes a bit of getting used to. Once you find that magic combination of button/control assigments that suit you ,playing with the game pad then you're set.

I am not as accurate with the gamepad like I am with a joystick but at least the sim is playable. It's good to see your nephew enjoying the sim, regardless of what controller he uses.

Bottom line: sim workes fine with a gamepad.

Johann