PDA

View Full Version : UBI's Promoting Blunder

LuckyBoy1
10-30-2004, 11:14 PM
Well, we all know the quality of UBISoft's marketing already, so what I find printed on the box is of no surprise to me. To UBI, this is just another game to print up boxes for and send out. I tell the clerk and manager at EBGames about how you can use the game as an add on to ACE and they look at me with great interest. One of these kids looks at me and then at the box for the game and says, "It doesn't say anywhere on this box that you can combine the games and I'm sure if you could, they would have mentioned it, so I guess you can't combine the games or use Pacific Fighters as an add on". That kid just happened to be the store manager!

Also, you look at the box and it has a "partial" list of planes. What gives with this?! There goes another strong point of the game down the drain.

Then, to top it all off, under specifications needed to play the game and under "Multiplay" it simply says...

Broadband Internet Connection

Now, I know the nomenclature for IP service types may vary country to country, but when you say "broadband" in the States, people most often think of Cable. Yes, you would want cable to host your 128 player dogfight, but for more realistic levels of game play, you can at least join with 26 KB per second and play quite nicely on 40 KB or more and yes, I guess to host a 32 player coop, you'd want at least DSL, but to slap "Broadband" on that box as a "Multiplay" requirement is overkill while they still won't get honest about what sort of a PC you neeed to play this game well.

Pentium III?!... Give me a break! So if they finally get someone to try the game, it will probably be the kid at school who didn't spend his last dime on upgrades, so as a result, he could take a few chances on games. Of course, he reports to everyone of his friends about how the game "won't run" and well... all I've got to say is I sometimes wonder how an Eagle like 1 C Games keeps flying with a marketing turkey like UBISoft!

Ok. so the marketing of this game in the IL-2 and Forgotten Battles form hasn't added up to big bucks for no effort applied; big deal! UBI, you now have the makings here of something very marketable, so why not get off your @ss and do just that... Market the game! Try and find another WWII combat flight sim where the planes actually fly like... planes! Find another combat flight sim with as many flyable WWII combat planes and the AI to boot! See if you can find another WWII combat flight sim that boasts the Western European front, the Eastern European front and the Pacific theatre on top of that! Try and find a WWII flight sim game developed by a guy who worked in the Soviet military industrial complex. See if you can find another WWI combat flight sim game out there that as long as the kick settings are good and tight, there just ain't much chance to cheat! In the States, we call all of what I just said "selling points" so if you've done your job well, how come none of this is marketed to the consumer? What, you think all these folks can read your mind?!

One fold out flap could tell everyone about these features and give a bio on Oleg. To top it all off, you have the outer, cardboard cover printed up exaclty like the inner case cover for the CD's! Hate to break the news to you UBI, but you are throwing away a gold mine here. Hope you're happy with the $0.12 per unit you saved by not doing something as simple as those two steps. Now, as people go down the shelve of games, they'll still be picking up Cousin Billy's sad offerings because for some unkown reason, you guys want to blow this opportunity.

LuckyBoy1
10-31-2004, 09:07 AM
130 reads and nobody responds? Ok then... Shameless bumpage!

Weather_Man
10-31-2004, 09:16 AM
I would have preferred a jewel case. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

actionhank1786
10-31-2004, 09:19 AM
I havent seen the case, but i can say the details on the boxes is usually sparse at best.
All the things you've listed are very good, and EB is such a kiddy game shop anymore.
They used to have a good knowledge and broad selection of PC games, now they're too busy kissing console *** to do anything.
The one here in my town used to have the entired back of the store filled up with PC games, now the PC games reside in a bunched up small area in the front of the store, the rest, it went to the console games of course...
add to that i preordered PF and still dont have the **** thing...

LuckyBoy1
10-31-2004, 10:17 AM
On the good side of life, there is a coupon for $30.00 off on a purchase of Track IR included inside the monster, unneded box! I haven't checked it out yet, but I will go look to see what I can aplly the coupon to and what the final, delivered price will be.

You are exactly right Weatherman, it would have been fine in a jewel box if this was all the marketing effort they wanted to put into the game.

Hank, I completely understand the frustration with EBGames. Unfortunately, at places Like Breast Buys and the other "biggy sized" sotes, even if you order something, it may never come in. I once ordered a Chicago II Cd from Breast Buys and waited for 4 months and it never came in. Then, to top it all off, they were only willing to give me a store credit instead of a refund.

SgtBriggs
10-31-2004, 10:30 AM
ya. i noticed that coupon too, gave it to the wife and told her thats what i want for xmas. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BinaryFalcon
10-31-2004, 11:15 AM
I like the double width DVD case.

The spindle can hold 6 CDs, which just happens to be the number of discs required for FB, AEP, PF and a burned CD/DVD with patches and "extras" on it.

Seems kind of nice to me.

Raider_555
10-31-2004, 11:22 AM
Yes, it WILL run on a PIII. So will Lock On for that matter. I'm running both on a tweaked 650 with 640 MB of DAMAGED RAM, and a GF 5200. I've been keeping that quiet for a long time, mainly because I know no one will believe it, but if you learn how to configure your system you can make anything run at acceptable (18-25) FPS, even during intense action.

And I do agree with your rants about UBI. They simply don't care that there is a Hard Core simulation community. They think we are all X-Box fan boys who play around with a computer once in a while.

Check Six...

steve_v
10-31-2004, 11:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BinaryFalcon:
I like the double width DVD case.

The spindle can hold 6 CDs, which just happens to be the number of discs required for FB, AEP, PF and a burned CD/DVD with patches and "extras" on it.

Seems kind of nice to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://home.earthlink.net/~viner45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1210.gif
Exactly how mine is currently bundled. Its a small thing, but I like it. Those that prefer the jewel case also have a valid point.

Bearcat99
10-31-2004, 11:46 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

LuckyBoy1
10-31-2004, 11:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raider_555:
Yes, it WILL run on a PIII. So will Lock On for that matter. I'm running both on a tweaked 650 with 640 MB of DAMAGED RAM, and a GF 5200. I've been keeping that quiet for a long time, mainly because I know no one will believe it, but if you learn how to configure your system you can make anything run at acceptable (18-25) FPS, even during intense action.

And I do agree with your rants about UBI. They simply don't care that there is a Hard Core simulation community. They think we are all X-Box fan boys who play around with a computer once in a while.

Check Six... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the "read me" on the Pacific Fighters install disc...

Minimum and recommended system specs

Supported OS: Windowsâ© 98 / Me / XP / 2000
Processor:
Minimum: Pentiumâ® III or AMD Athlon â"ž˘ 1 GHz
Recommended: P4 3 Ghz or above
RAM:
Minimum: 512 Mb
Recommended: 1 Gb or more
Video Card:
Minimum: DirectX â® 9 compatible, 64 Mb
Recommended: 128 Mb or more
Sound Card:
Minimum: DirectX â® 9 compatible
Recommended: Audigy series
Free HD space after install: 1.1+ GB
Network Play: high speed internet connection with minimum delay is highly recommended

It will run?... yes, but like Grampa's blurry slide show!

Hey, steve v! You gottum any hardware upgrade plans?

Bearcat99
10-31-2004, 01:08 PM
Well what do ya know.... FB,AEP,BOE,PF+DVDRW w UQMG,DGEN,IL2Manger,Ventrilo,TS,IL2 STAB and room for patches and skin backup. Nice all in one package if I must say so myself.

DuxCorvan
10-31-2004, 04:22 PM
Pentium III? Ok, a chance to use those model LODs that give so much work... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

SkyChimp
10-31-2004, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't take anything an EB or Gamespot employee says seriously. The last time I checked EB Games in Newport News, Virginia, the clerk told to "download it from the internet" if I couldn't find PF in the stores.

Okumiya
10-31-2004, 05:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by actionhank1786:
I havent seen the case, but i can say the details on the boxes is usually sparse at best.
All the things you've listed are very good, and EB is such a kiddy game shop anymore.
They used to have a good knowledge and broad selection of PC games, now they're too busy kissing console *** to do anything.
The one here in my town used to have the entired back of the store filled up with PC games, now the PC games reside in a bunched up small area in the front of the store, the rest, it went to the console games of course...
add to that i preordered PF and still dont have the **** thing... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well if we could just buy a PC game we knew would work with the computer we have mybe the PC section would be full, but no ,you have to make sure that you have the right ram ,video card, and the choice in video cards is another thing you need to consider, then there's the cpu , i can go on and on, you know i like this game but i didn't want to learn the workings of the computer to run the game, i have PF as a stand alone , it's a bit choppy, my FB AEP runs just great on high to excellent settings , now if i install PF as an add on , will it make my FB AEP run choppy too, see these are the questions i don't want to learn about , i just want to fly this great sim game ,

ok i got it out of my system
great sim

james_ander
10-31-2004, 06:13 PM
I hear ya Lucky. When I first got my computer, I went looking for a flight sim at my local EB. I had only played F/A-18 Korea and CFS1 and didn't know IL2 existed. The kid at EB pointed me toward 3 copies of CFS3 placed side by side on the shelf, with all the other big games of the time. The whole time IL2 and FB were lurking in the "other" section where games are not as easy to see. I bought some real duds before I cam across the IL2 demo: Jetfighter 4, Fighter Aces, whatever.

It's like going to the video store, the big Hollywood Blockbuster takes up an entire wall. Chances are it's ****. There are like 2 copies of an amazing independent film hidden away, that you wouldn't find unless you were looking for them.

Yeah, Ubi could market IL2 better. But do you want it to become the big Hollywood blockbuster type flight sim? Think about it.

Oh and the box...

I don't give a **** if they send it to me in a rusty bucket.....

LEXX_Luthor
10-31-2004, 06:21 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Minimum: Pentiumâ® III or AMD Athlon â"ž˘ 1 GHz
Recommended: P4 3 Ghz or above
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sounds like UBI got this one correct. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Interesting, no Recommended Athalon+

x87 vs SSE3 issues perhaps?

dragonhart38
10-31-2004, 06:45 PM
I called up EB games they said they had a few copies so i went down there asked for it paid for it and left. I know better than to have a pc sim discusson with these guys. Waist of time.

MK2aw
10-31-2004, 08:10 PM
lucky I agree 100% , I would help tackle that, if I was not so busy bringing people back into the game by promoting DGENBETA3.11, after first installers, crash into mountains, kill zeroes to easy etc. etc.

ALOT of things could of been done better.

Makes me wish I was helping Oleg directly instead of UBI....hmmmmm...

Still the best game in town though...

Mk2aw

LuckyBoy1
10-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Very good points made here. and yes, my thought here is to try and support Oleg and the gang. For all I care, it can be UBI who profits from it, as it doesn't matter to me one way or the next. It's just frustrating to see a wonderfull product like this sit as an "unknown" out there in the marketing world.

And to top it all off, I've yet to see a single "mainstream" review done on any flight sim game that was even close to the definitions of informed or correct. The reviews seem to go from complete fanboy responses to poorly thought out criticisms. I think this has a great deal to do with the reviwer not really being a true flight sim fan. How come PC Magazine can't ask Eurosnoopy to do a review? Or Weatherman or steve v or... the list goes on and on, but these @ssholes who talk like they're "experts" simply have no clue as to what this game is about!

Why are the reviews so sad? Well, at least part of that can be blamed on UBI, who doesn't advise the reviewer correctly about what this programming is about or what it really can do. I know this is a grand assumption on my part that UBI is falling down on the job on this point, but think about it; read the reviews of Cousin Billy's flight sim offerings and it becomes clear that the publisher went to pains to explain to the reviewer all the good points about the game in question and how to get it to run best on the testing computer. It would seem that all that UBI does is send them the disc as long as the person is a "game reviewer" and leaves it at that.

The results of all these poor promoting efforts are a comparative marketing disaster. I'm just sick of watching this great effort go to waste, that's all! Is this game the next Falcon IV? Will it finally catch on about two years from now when the users average PC catches up with the demands of the game and word of mouth finally spreads it around enough for the general public to finally "get it"?! I'd prefer to see UBI make their money now. This way, there will be incentive for them to continue development in the area of serious flight sims. Is asking them to properly explain the benefits of the game on the box too much to ask? They managed to include a half baked promotion of a Submarine game and included some other promotions as well, but not a bit of real effort has been made to sell this game.

rodion_zero
11-01-2004, 01:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
It will run?... yes, but like Grampa's blurry slide show!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blurry slideshow???

Haven't you downloaded any of my movies?

http://www.msuiit.edu.ph/astrosoc/temp/rod_f4f4_landing.wmv

http://www.msuiit.edu.ph/astrosoc/temp/rod_sbd.wmv

http://www.msuiit.edu.ph/astrosoc/temp/val2.wmv

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/rodion/testcors.wmv

All above movies recorded from a PIII-733 Mhz with a 32MB GeForce2-GTS video card and only 256MB of SDRAM. :P

I know, I know, you're gonna say "TRY A 50-aircraft CAMPAIGN!!!" and yes it will be slow...but that doesn't mean you CAN'T slap Pentium3 in the box cover because IT DOES WORK in a Pentium III and my videos above prove this.

-RODION

clint-ruin
11-01-2004, 02:25 AM
Yup, been saying it for a while. I've played FB on a Celeron 333 with a Geforce 4, I've played it on a Tbird with a TNT2 Vanta. FBs interals are very, very scalable indeed.

LuckyBoy1
11-01-2004, 05:34 AM
Looks like a blurry slide show to me!

jimmie_T
11-01-2004, 08:11 AM
Good post, LuckyBoy1.

Fliegeroffizier
11-01-2004, 12:26 PM
Using a PIII 866MHz 512MbRam geforce2GTS Pro for IL2/FB/AEP/BoverE/PF. Numbers of acft,intensity, etc, scaled down of course...and I don't like /use the large Leningrad maps....but thoroughly enjoyable...and at 1600X1200. A LOT of tweaking was neccesary way back at the beginning with IL2...Once the right set of options/settings was found after about two full weeks of experimentation, everything was superb. Of course frame rates are not what I'd like a lot of the time... Since then, I've Not experienced the many difficulties reported by Many folks with MUCH more advanced systems...it's just a matter of getting the right settings for your system.

but..I'll be getting a new system in the next month or so..top of the line, whatever it costs, and primarily driven by the goal of doing PF at absolutely Max settings(and future Battle of Britain max playability with only, perhaps, a little bit of upgrading required at that time, a year or so from now I suspect)

rodion_zero
11-01-2004, 06:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
Looks like a blurry slide show to me! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry, it's understandable that due to the "spoiled" nature of how people define "beautiful graphics and effects" because of what technology can offer today, certain people especially the younger generation, have a marked decrease in powers of imagination. That's why these people can NEVER enjoy going back to playing games like ACES OF THE PACIFIC (which is still outstanding til this very day) simply because of this lack of imagination skills. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-RODION

LuckyBoy1
11-01-2004, 08:15 PM
I ain't imagining the fact that my 45 year old bones certainly don't creak any less for your psychotic diatribe on this one. Showing a recording does not show the stutter you are obviously getting and trying to pass off your in-game performance as smooth is not just sad, but is harmfull to those who need good information on what it takes to play this game.

rodion_zero
11-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Stutters? If there was a stutter on any of those WMV's I'd like someone to confirm it. And it's all very simple really...if I had a hard time with framerates and stutters, I would be one of the first to post these issues here, for I have indeed tried it in a superior system (my brother's Athlon XP2600 with NVidia 6800non-Ultra and 1gig DDRAM) and everything's smooth as silk with sliders all maxed out. Bottom line, if you experiences any problems with this game, something is wrong with your PC--it's not as well-maintained or "souped up" as you might have originally thought.

Stutters, yeah right...How the heck could I land properly with stutters I wonder *rolls eyes*

-RODION

KSS_Jester_UK
11-02-2004, 06:58 AM
This needs a bump anyway, but just for the record, I have passed a few tracks to other pilots and had a similar set of comments back.

Runs fine on mine, runs like a warp show on theirs'. Nothing to do with settings as we all run about the same spec rigs and settings.

rodion_zero
11-02-2004, 08:08 AM
As regards to passing tracks around, I noticed something strange. Before I begin, let us designate PC1 as a slow PC and PC2 a relatively fast PC. Now, I recorded a track in PC1 (*.ntrk) and reviewed it, and made some changes by adding time acceleration to some boring parts and then saved it again. Now, I took this *.ntrk and loaded it to PC2, and I let PC2 take over time acceleration and camera view, so basically I was watching it hands-off. What I noticed was, my bomber missed its target when I played back the track in PC2!!! But when I play the track back again in PC1, the track plays fine!

Curious, I once again reviewed the track in PC1 but this time, I didn't touch the time acceleration (time was normal all the way), then I saved this new track and then loaded it to PC2...voila! The bomber now HITS the target.

Even though more tests are needed, this one incident told me that time acceleration messes up tracks especially if moved from one PC to another, and the two PCs having different specs.

-RODION

LEXX_Luthor
11-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Yep ... FBP runs Stutter Free even on Gulf of Finland map.

Athalon 1700+
WinXP Homely
256MB 133MHz SDRAM
ATI~9200

...but I keep a clean WinXP so, la la

CTPAHHbIN
11-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Alleluia I thought I was the only one pissed with UBI and their careless approach to advertisement. IL2 is the second game that I buy that has UBISoft on it (Silent Hunter II was the first). I guess they won’t see my money unless 1C will come up with something else. The right thing to do for 1C would be to get a better promoter. They have a big name now, so I guess they would have no problems negotiating a new contract.