PDA

View Full Version : OT - Dicovery Wings Channel - WOW

RepublicofTexas
11-11-2004, 03:18 PM
WOW. Just got finished watching "Clash Of Wings" about the pacific airwar around Guadalcanel and the combat footage was excellent. Actually saw a bomb hit on the carrier deck, amazing. Gun cam film was awesome also with closeups of G4m Bettys getting hammered with .50 cal. This channel continues to amaze me with the new footage they come up with. I highly recommend this channel if you want to see historic footage.

Korolov
11-11-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm going to stay away from Discovery Wings until they finally get off their lazy butts and start captioning their shows.

VF-3Thunderboy
11-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Republic- Is that program on all this week? When does it end?

Thanks -

Hunter82
11-11-2004, 05:31 PM
I thought they had them captioned? Not everyone but most I thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Korolov:
I'm going to stay away from Discovery Wings until they finally get off their lazy butts and start captioning their shows. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

prb17
11-11-2004, 05:47 PM
That footage of the bombs hitting the carrier deck is amazing. Did you notice the Dauntless BOUNCING across the flight deck for no apparent reason, then landing in the catwalk..?? If you read the book €œThe BIG-E€ by Edward P. Stafford, he writes of the Battle of Santa Cruz, during which the Enterprise had a combat cameraman stationed in the island during the attack on the carrier. A lot of what is described there looks very much like this footage. The bouncing SBD is the result of a bomb that hits the ship forward, out of camera view, which is looking aft. The resulting severe vibrations or shockwaves that went fore and aft for several seconds were strong enough to produce effects such as flinging airplanes into the air.

Paul

Viper_42
11-11-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure if I want to watch a bomb hitting a carrier deck even as amazing as it is. Those sort of things just frighten me to death. Especially when I think of the people on the carrier.

Korolov
11-11-2004, 06:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hunter82:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every time I tried to watch Discovery Wings, whatever program, they never once had captioning.

prb17
11-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Good point, Viper_42. Poor choice of words. In fact when the F/A-18C crashed onto the flight deck of the carrier I was on, amazing isn€t a word I would have chosen€¦

But that film is incredible precisely because of the people involved, who are visible throughout that footage, lying down flat on the flight deck in anticipation of the neck shock. That€s what you do when you think you you€re about to be hit by a bomb - you get down low and find something to hold on to. You can see this in this footage.

What€s amazing about it is that it may be the only footage of a US carrier at the moment she is under direct attack by Japanese dive bombers.

Paul

Bearcat99
11-11-2004, 06:40 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gifI cant get Discovery Wings...... Im dumping Comcast because of it too... they have it just not in my area.. go figure.... The only reason I have it is the highspeed connection.

RepublicofTexas
11-11-2004, 07:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VF-3Thunderboy:
Republic- Is that program on all this week? When does it end?

Thanks - <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I dont know. They have different programs about WW2 on all the time. They even show infantry battles. "Hell in the Pacific" is one with combat footage I have never seen before and it will make your blood boil when you watch it.

Hunter82
11-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Hmmm I'll have to check it out...maybe it was Discovery history I've seen the CC label.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Korolov:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hunter82:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every time I tried to watch Discovery Wings, whatever program, they never once had captioning. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

InyerEye
11-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Hmm...I missed that one.
Have to catch the re-broadcast.
<S>