PDA

View Full Version : Colours of the Bismarck

Danelov
09-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Colours of the Bismarck

Yesterday a friend, also modeller like me, had asked me about the colours of the battleship Bismarck in his last and unique combat operation,"Rheinübung"

We know that, the Bismarck is a classic of many Naval modellers and in each model builded we try to aproach the most possible to this real legendary ship, with a "new plus", a new detail ,photoetched parts,weathering ,etc,

Personally I have builded this ship seven times , the first one was the horrible 1/600 Airfix model, maybe the worst of all plastic Bismarck models kits available still today.Then was the Revell 1/570,builded two times, as younger boy and a second many years latter. This one is quite good and is also available today (this builded Bismarck Revell is still some part in carton box in my house) .Then was the turn to try the waterline and touch also the very crude Aoshima , a lot of modifications there to obtain some of decent, then the Samek in resin ,a lot better, but delicat this one .Then to "smile a little" the 1/1200 of Esci and the 1/2000 of Heller; interesant this two last, to work in so small models. Today ,with limited space at home I have the whole Kriegsmarine serie of the excelents 1/1250 metal models of Neptune of Germany. In this last Bismarck I have painted the last operative scheme after all this years of research and recollected informations in lot of books and documents.

The colours

In the Bismarck of "Rheinübung"the choice of the paint is a easy one

-Bismarck displayed to the afternoon of 21-05-41 in Grimstadfjord near Bergen with his coastal scheme disruptive antisubmarine with white and black bands.
-Bismarck displayed in the night of 21-05-41 for the rest of his short life with only the false bow wave camouflage.

The coastal scheme disruptive antisubmarine was s short time camouflage utilised by the Kriegsmarine after the Norway operations and his heavy losses by British submarines.

This camouflage was apliqued to some capital ships like pocket battleship Lützow,Light cruiser Nürnberg,a short time in Battlecruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, Heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen. Was abolished from Jun-Jul 1941.Each ship had wear a scheme unique adapted after his structure.

Very critized ,his utility was only relative and created to break his silloutte and difficult the aiming by enemy submarine attacks.His utilisation was limited to coastal waters, home ports access, Baltic waters and safe controlled areas.His was not utilised in operative missions in the Atlantic.Useless to avoid air enemy recco identification or attack.

The standard colours of the Bismarck to the afternoon of 21-05-41 in Grimstadfjord were:

Stripes Black 39S and white 30S
False bow wave White 30S
False stern wave White 30S
Contrast false bow Possible Dark grey 2(RAL 7024)(Not confirmed)
Contrast false stern Possible Dark grey 2(RAL 7024)(Not confirmed)
Hull Dark grey 51
Over hull, structures Light grey 50
Funnel cowling Aluminium bronze 76
Carley boots Yellow 90(RAL 1003)

Details

Deck Teck colour ,metal decks with the standards dark greys 3 light grey 4(RAL 7000 and 7001)

Cannons Main battery of 381mm was a mix of black with a small touch of red.
Ar-196 Standard Luftwaffe marine scheme(RLM 72,73 ,65)
Cutters and boats Wood natural,white,teck ,Dark Grey 51
Etc

The standard colours of the Bismarck in the night of 21-05-41 and starting his last war cruiser

Like first example minus Stripes and Contrast False bow wave and stern.Only was retained the white false bow wave.All hull repainted with Dark Frey 51.

Air Recco features.

The Swastik painted in the bow deck and stern deck had not the red bands.The symbols were covered with canvas after the depart of Norway to ocult nationality.
Possible but not sure ,that is not confirmed,the canvas were retired in the morning of the 27-05-41 to help the identification of the possible incoming help of the Luftwaffe planes from France.
Kriegsmarine directives also specified the Yellow colour in the upper part of the main battery turrets to ID for friend planes ; but I think the crew of the Bismarck was to busy and had a lot of other problems this night of the 27th May to make this job in time, and the weather was all minus friendly this morning to take this type of risk.

And extra, about the U-Boots ,and out of topic Bismarck

U-BOOTS

Colours

To 1942
structures with light grey 50
Deck Black 54(Had tendende to turn to a dark brown red with the weathering)
Horizontal surfaces Black 39S

Structures Grey 53 ( had a greengreyish ton)
Deck Charbon colour,RAAL 9005

U-Boots had not utilised Swastik as Air ID in deck .His best ID was the distinctive form of his conning tower.Flag extended in deck was sometimes utilised in no safe friendly area ,but usually commanders dive to avoid not only Allied planes, but also German planes.That´s specially true in confined waters like the Mediterranean.Many mistake attacks were done by Luftwaffe planes with German U-Boots in this area.
Also U-Boots operating in the Mediterranean had utilised dazzle camouflages or splotches realised with Regia Marina colours in diverses tonalities of Blue Greys.
Camouflage in Atlantic operating U-Boots was also not standard and each Flotilla can decided about that depending his circuntances of operations. A set of schemes was prepared and gived
to the flotillas ,to be utilised as model of base of depart with the recomended paints number list to be utilised.
Swastik as embleme of U-Boots can be counted with the fingers of one hand, U-132 KpTLt Vogelsang for example ;was much more normal to carrier a emblem or Coat of Arms of a German City, or the official emblem of the flotilla together with a humoristic sign,inscription or motive.

Happy modelling

PD: IF you need references RAL to FS ,or optional informations contact me.

Danelov
09-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Colours of the Bismarck

Yesterday a friend, also modeller like me, had asked me about the colours of the battleship Bismarck in his last and unique combat operation,"Rheinübung"

We know that, the Bismarck is a classic of many Naval modellers and in each model builded we try to aproach the most possible to this real legendary ship, with a "new plus", a new detail ,photoetched parts,weathering ,etc,

Personally I have builded this ship seven times , the first one was the horrible 1/600 Airfix model, maybe the worst of all plastic Bismarck models kits available still today.Then was the Revell 1/570,builded two times, as younger boy and a second many years latter. This one is quite good and is also available today (this builded Bismarck Revell is still some part in carton box in my house) .Then was the turn to try the waterline and touch also the very crude Aoshima , a lot of modifications there to obtain some of decent, then the Samek in resin ,a lot better, but delicat this one .Then to "smile a little" the 1/1200 of Esci and the 1/2000 of Heller; interesant this two last, to work in so small models. Today ,with limited space at home I have the whole Kriegsmarine serie of the excelents 1/1250 metal models of Neptune of Germany. In this last Bismarck I have painted the last operative scheme after all this years of research and recollected informations in lot of books and documents.

The colours

In the Bismarck of "Rheinübung"the choice of the paint is a easy one

-Bismarck displayed to the afternoon of 21-05-41 in Grimstadfjord near Bergen with his coastal scheme disruptive antisubmarine with white and black bands.
-Bismarck displayed in the night of 21-05-41 for the rest of his short life with only the false bow wave camouflage.

The coastal scheme disruptive antisubmarine was s short time camouflage utilised by the Kriegsmarine after the Norway operations and his heavy losses by British submarines.

This camouflage was apliqued to some capital ships like pocket battleship Lützow,Light cruiser Nürnberg,a short time in Battlecruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, Heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen. Was abolished from Jun-Jul 1941.Each ship had wear a scheme unique adapted after his structure.

Very critized ,his utility was only relative and created to break his silloutte and difficult the aiming by enemy submarine attacks.His utilisation was limited to coastal waters, home ports access, Baltic waters and safe controlled areas.His was not utilised in operative missions in the Atlantic.Useless to avoid air enemy recco identification or attack.

The standard colours of the Bismarck to the afternoon of 21-05-41 in Grimstadfjord were:

Stripes Black 39S and white 30S
False bow wave White 30S
False stern wave White 30S
Contrast false bow Possible Dark grey 2(RAL 7024)(Not confirmed)
Contrast false stern Possible Dark grey 2(RAL 7024)(Not confirmed)
Hull Dark grey 51
Over hull, structures Light grey 50
Funnel cowling Aluminium bronze 76
Carley boots Yellow 90(RAL 1003)

Details

Deck Teck colour ,metal decks with the standards dark greys 3 light grey 4(RAL 7000 and 7001)

Cannons Main battery of 381mm was a mix of black with a small touch of red.
Ar-196 Standard Luftwaffe marine scheme(RLM 72,73 ,65)
Cutters and boats Wood natural,white,teck ,Dark Grey 51
Etc

The standard colours of the Bismarck in the night of 21-05-41 and starting his last war cruiser

Like first example minus Stripes and Contrast False bow wave and stern.Only was retained the white false bow wave.All hull repainted with Dark Frey 51.

Air Recco features.

The Swastik painted in the bow deck and stern deck had not the red bands.The symbols were covered with canvas after the depart of Norway to ocult nationality.
Possible but not sure ,that is not confirmed,the canvas were retired in the morning of the 27-05-41 to help the identification of the possible incoming help of the Luftwaffe planes from France.
Kriegsmarine directives also specified the Yellow colour in the upper part of the main battery turrets to ID for friend planes ; but I think the crew of the Bismarck was to busy and had a lot of other problems this night of the 27th May to make this job in time, and the weather was all minus friendly this morning to take this type of risk.

And extra, about the U-Boots ,and out of topic Bismarck

U-BOOTS

Colours

To 1942
structures with light grey 50
Deck Black 54(Had tendende to turn to a dark brown red with the weathering)
Horizontal surfaces Black 39S

Structures Grey 53 ( had a greengreyish ton)
Deck Charbon colour,RAAL 9005

U-Boots had not utilised Swastik as Air ID in deck .His best ID was the distinctive form of his conning tower.Flag extended in deck was sometimes utilised in no safe friendly area ,but usually commanders dive to avoid not only Allied planes, but also German planes.That´s specially true in confined waters like the Mediterranean.Many mistake attacks were done by Luftwaffe planes with German U-Boots in this area.
Also U-Boots operating in the Mediterranean had utilised dazzle camouflages or splotches realised with Regia Marina colours in diverses tonalities of Blue Greys.
Camouflage in Atlantic operating U-Boots was also not standard and each Flotilla can decided about that depending his circuntances of operations. A set of schemes was prepared and gived
to the flotillas ,to be utilised as model of base of depart with the recomended paints number list to be utilised.
Swastik as embleme of U-Boots can be counted with the fingers of one hand, U-132 KpTLt Vogelsang for example ;was much more normal to carrier a emblem or Coat of Arms of a German City, or the official emblem of the flotilla together with a humoristic sign,inscription or motive.

Happy modelling

PD: IF you need references RAL to FS ,or optional informations contact me.