PDA

View Full Version : YP-80

TPN_Cephas
11-09-2004, 11:39 AM
I know the probability of this happening is about .0001% but it would be cool if Oleg gave the P-80 a tailhook option for carrier ops. Now while the P-80 did never serve operationally from a carrier, it was extensively tested for naval ops in 1946. It is a possibility that if the war had dragged on that it might have been pressed into service. We already have a couple "What If" aircraft like the BI-1, so other than the time it would take to model it in there should be no real reason not to.

The P-80 does take off quite easily from a large carrier making 30 knots, so I decided to add them to a series of 1946 missions I have been making called Invasion Japan. Shooting a landing approach to the carrier with this plane is very interesting as it takes a while to accelerate and fast movement of the throttle can cause fire or flameout, so you really have to be thinking about 5 seconds ahead. As it is now you just need to make your simulated trap and judge for yourself as to whether it would have been a good trap.

Oleg it sure would be nice if this was added, I dont imagine it would be all that hard, but I know you are already swamped. Just a thought.
Thanks!

Nige_Reconman
11-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Without trying to sound like a troll, the fact that they included the yp-80 in the first place when it had no noticeable effect on aircombat in ww2 and other far more important aircraft are continually omitted, might mean we'll see a carrier based version of it.

BinaryFalcon
11-09-2004, 11:46 AM
I'd like to see him put the effort into a Korean war era sim with carriers myself. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

That'd be really cool.

Much as I love IL-2 and its expansions, I do think it's about time to put this one to bed and move on to the next generation Maddox sim.

Gibbage1
11-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Not gonna happen.

clint-ruin
11-09-2004, 12:30 PM
We're getting closer all the time to realistic-ish Korean ops. I put together some missions - just tooling around - using some of the NK skins available at il2skins.com. We have early versions of a lot of planes that fought there - La7, P-51, Corsair, Yak9UT, etc. Performance is lower but .. it's all relatively lower.

F16_Sulan
11-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Yes it would be nice! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I´d love to see an Me-109T and Ju-87C (carrier based) and the Zepelin Graf...
Or if not, just put a tailhook to some Bf-109 and to the Ju-87B... That would be nice also me thinks.
A checkbox called "tailhook" could be added, does´nt need to be animated or anything...
Allthough I would understand if they would´nt lay any work on this, and if most of the community thinks its silly...

Maple_Tiger
11-09-2004, 02:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nige_Reconman:
Without trying to sound like a troll, the fact that they included the yp-80 in the first place when it had no noticeable effect on aircombat in ww2 and other far more important aircraft are continually omitted, might mean we'll see a carrier based version of it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it's ok to have the BF109Z...? wich never flew.

Atleast the YP-80 flew in 1945 on a couple of missions. However, they didn't see any combat.

Eraser_tr
11-09-2004, 03:22 PM
I'd rather see a Ryan Fireball or F9f Panther...what was that other early carrier jet that came into service before korea but really wasn't used?

rugame
11-09-2004, 04:42 PM
I would just like to see external fuel tanks for the 80.

Tater-SW-
11-09-2004, 04:51 PM
There was a squadron of P-80s in the Philipines waiting on the invasion of Japan. They would have been combat ready if we had invaded (they were shipped without tip tanks and batteries, by the time they arrived the war was just over). Certainly an alternate history where the japanese don't surrender in August would be able to use them.

tater

Fliger747
11-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Banshee!

The Panther has about the best 'kill ratio' of any plane, shoth down a dozen or so Migs with no air-to-air losses. Infinity?

Gonn'a have to get the cataputs working, a bit more wind over the deck, and rig the barrier!

TPN_Cephas
11-09-2004, 06:33 PM
The F-15 kill ratio is over 80-0.

Eraser_tr
11-09-2004, 06:37 PM
*The F-15 has guided missiles that can take out a target 50 miles away

TPN_Cephas
11-09-2004, 06:39 PM
So does it's adversaries.

Snootles
11-09-2004, 07:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It is a possibility that if the war had dragged on that it might have been pressed into service. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the Navy? They had an initial order for something like 2,000 Bearcats. I severely doubt they would have needed as desperate a measure as navalizing Shooting Stars.

J_Weaver
11-09-2004, 07:28 PM
It would indeed be pretty cool to see a P-80 with a tailhook. I say why not, if we get go229's and 109z's etc. then why not a P-80 with a tailhook

lbhskier37
11-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Can we please get an Avenger first?

Maple_Tiger
11-09-2004, 08:49 PM
lol

I was very surprised that the Avenger was not flyable. I think there were over 10,000 built lol.

JR_Greenhorn
11-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Tailhooking the P-80 isn't necessary--just get someone to model the McDonnell FD-1 Phantom. That would be better yet. It first flew even before VE-day, if my source is correct.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eraser_tr:
I'd rather see a Ryan Fireball or F9f Panther...what was that other early carrier jet that came into service before korea but really wasn't used? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The Fireball would be cool too. I've always kind of hoped to get a chance to fly some of the composite power jets like the FR-1 over FB. The Soviets had some interesting composites also.

VF-66 recieved 66 FR-1s before VJ-day, so the type was operational but didn't see combat. It likely would have flown alongside the F7F and F8F in an Japanese Invasion extended scenario.

Both the Phantom and the Fireball qualify as forgotten aircraft, don't you think?

JR_Greenhorn
11-09-2004, 10:34 PM
FD-1 Phantom
http://www.airwar.ru/image/i/fighter/fh1-i.jpg
http://www.daveswarbirds.com/usplanes/photos/phantom.jpg
FR-1 Fireball
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/FR-1_Fireball_engines_off.jpg
FR-1 Fireballs in formation with pistion engines off

Snootles
11-09-2004, 10:58 PM
I would not like to see a Phantom in PF, as it was not ready to enter carrier service until 1947. The Fireball, on the other hand, would be a very legit aircraft for an "extended war" campaign. I just want to get the "historical" warplanes first.

JR_Greenhorn
11-09-2004, 11:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snootles:
I would not like to see a Phantom in PF, as it was not ready to enter carrier service until 1947. The Fireball, on the other hand, would be a very legit aircraft for an "extended war" campaign. I just want to get the "historical" warplanes first. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I can appreciate that. The "historical" argument always wins, as it should. I just tend to favour the "what if" scenarios. Such scenarios can be dependent on these questionable-for-inclusion types, so I usually lobby for them when the topic comes up.

I thought that those in favour of tail-hooking the P-80 might be interested in knowing there is a plane that fits the bill better. Also, I tend to think that a pure jet aircraft flying in 1945 would have been high priority if it looked like the war would drag on longer than it did. I kind of doubt that progress was very fast after VJ-day. The type very likely could have been operated from land bases sooner, but you are right that it wasn't carrier operational until '47. Oops, there I go with a "what if" scenario again...

Hans_Philipp
11-09-2004, 11:19 PM
YP-80??

*cough*F-16*cough*

BinaryFalcon
11-10-2004, 09:39 AM
After looking it up, I think the Fireball would be a great "what if" plane to add to the sim. It certainly seems to qualify just as well as the BI-1 or flying wing.

Plus it's such an odd duck I think it'd be a blast to fly and see zipping around out there. Not that I'd expect it to be very effective, but it's a rather interesting aircraft.

lbhskier37
11-10-2004, 10:49 AM
AVENGER!