PDA

View Full Version : Il-2 constantly crashes and bluescreens

Objektskaya
04-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I would love to play this game, if only it would stop crashing to the desktop without even an error message, and also taking down my system with the ol' Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

BSODs are persistent and frequent. Doesn't seem to matter what mission I play. I get anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes of play before the game either bluescreens, crashes, or locks up completely, in such a way that I can't even get back to the Windows desktop. On those latter occasions, I have to do a hard reboot

Also, on random occasions, when I try to play one of the single-player missions, I'm told that there was an unspecified "Error" loading "xxxx.ini" where "xxxx" is the name of the map (Okinawa, Crimea, or what have you). Sometimes, I try it again a few seconds later and the mission loads (then bluescreens). Sometimes it gets all the way to 100% loaded, then the game crashes to the desktop. On still other occasions, I get the same error again.

Often, I get this same loading error on every single-player mission, including dynamic campaign missions. At that point I have no choice but to restart the game.

You would think if the .ini files were corrupted, it would happen every time, and I would have to reinstall the game. But it doesn't.

Getting back to the bluescreens: Often there is not even an inscrutable Microsoft error mesage - simply a blue screen, and a high-pitched, loud squealing through the speakers. After a few seconds, my machine reboots itself.

I have run memtest86 from a bootable CDROM. It found no memory errors.

Il-2 is the only game that does this, except for Flanker 2.5 (an older and perhaps more obscure combat flight sim). Flanker 2.5 is even worse; it bluescreens immediately within a few seconds of getting in the cockpit. I have no idea what's going on there, but it's a much older game, so I suppose it can't really work under WinXP.

Il-2: 1946 version is 4.08m, I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2, and system hardware is as follows:
AMD Athlon XP 3400+ CPU
1 GB RAM
Radeon 9700 Pro vid card w/128 MB video RAM, using Catalyst 6.4 drivers*
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy ZS 2 sound card w/latest drivers (2005 release)
Abit NF7-S 2.0 motherboard

I can post BIOS settings (memory latency, CAS, and so on) if it would be helpful.

*The Catalyst 6.4 drivers are the newest ones that are any good for me. I tried installing more recent updates, but they always caused worse performance and more crashes in general.

Objektskaya
04-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I would love to play this game, if only it would stop crashing to the desktop without even an error message, and also taking down my system with the ol' Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

BSODs are persistent and frequent. Doesn't seem to matter what mission I play. I get anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes of play before the game either bluescreens, crashes, or locks up completely, in such a way that I can't even get back to the Windows desktop. On those latter occasions, I have to do a hard reboot

Also, on random occasions, when I try to play one of the single-player missions, I'm told that there was an unspecified "Error" loading "xxxx.ini" where "xxxx" is the name of the map (Okinawa, Crimea, or what have you). Sometimes, I try it again a few seconds later and the mission loads (then bluescreens). Sometimes it gets all the way to 100% loaded, then the game crashes to the desktop. On still other occasions, I get the same error again.

Often, I get this same loading error on every single-player mission, including dynamic campaign missions. At that point I have no choice but to restart the game.

You would think if the .ini files were corrupted, it would happen every time, and I would have to reinstall the game. But it doesn't.

Getting back to the bluescreens: Often there is not even an inscrutable Microsoft error mesage - simply a blue screen, and a high-pitched, loud squealing through the speakers. After a few seconds, my machine reboots itself.

I have run memtest86 from a bootable CDROM. It found no memory errors.

Il-2 is the only game that does this, except for Flanker 2.5 (an older and perhaps more obscure combat flight sim). Flanker 2.5 is even worse; it bluescreens immediately within a few seconds of getting in the cockpit. I have no idea what's going on there, but it's a much older game, so I suppose it can't really work under WinXP.

Il-2: 1946 version is 4.08m, I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2, and system hardware is as follows:
AMD Athlon XP 3400+ CPU
1 GB RAM
Radeon 9700 Pro vid card w/128 MB video RAM, using Catalyst 6.4 drivers*
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy ZS 2 sound card w/latest drivers (2005 release)
Abit NF7-S 2.0 motherboard

I can post BIOS settings (memory latency, CAS, and so on) if it would be helpful.

*The Catalyst 6.4 drivers are the newest ones that are any good for me. I tried installing more recent updates, but they always caused worse performance and more crashes in general.

Tully__
04-29-2008, 10:40 PM
This would be better in the Community Help Forum (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=corfrm&cf=49310655). Post your dxdiag report (instructions here) (http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/luckyboys_guide.htm#012) with the other information when you post there.