PDA

View Full Version : A sim or arcade?

VK_Dim
12-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Well this sim is lookin lately more arcadish than ever. Every single shot is "controls damage" or pilot kill. This is unreal. I am really gettin pissed off. Not only when i get shot down, when i kill somebody too. Short bursts no matter what plane MGs rail those controls. I don't know how many hit zones htere are but this is hilarious.
It has to be fixed. Not all the fuselage of the plane are the **** controls.
It's like htere is some kind of bullet magnet on those...

VW-IceFire
12-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Must be another game I'm playing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MrOblongo
12-20-2004, 07:32 PM
For my own experience in First Person Shooters like Mohaa or CoD i can tell the thing that make a game arcade or simulation is 80% the players and 20% the game itself.

Play Mohaa with serious realistic players and u will get an awesome realistic battle enviroment with squad movments and chain of command. Make the same with quake players and u will get a chaos of people runing around shooting each other.... of couse the game helps in adding realism of damage or speeds...but the realism feeling is added by the players and how serious u play.

So...going into a dogfight server with bases at like 5 km of distance with all planes in each base and take off to fight alone against others is arcade by itself.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
12-20-2004, 09:41 PM
I agree with the dude(chick?) above. It all depends on how you fly it. With a squadron(friends, buddies, cool people) it comes closer to a sim, full switch, comms,working together, that sort of thing. Go in a DF room just to AirQuake/point***** your way around.. its arcadish(is that a word?) Just MHO.

VK_Dim
12-21-2004, 12:26 AM
Hey fellas, i'm talkin about damage modelling.
Realize that?

ImpStarDuece
12-21-2004, 12:58 AM
Depends on what your getting hit with. A MK 103 is going to reliably mess up your controls if it doesnt kill you and/or cut your plane in half. I think MG 151/20 tend to be a touch better at ensuring damaged controls than the more AP oriented Hispano and ShVak.

While i think that the susceptability of aircraft to control damage might be slightly overdone, I really dont have that much to compare it to. I find that i am more likely to cut a plane in half than destroy its controls unless i am using a plane without cannon.

.50s and lighter generally rely on engine or fuel tank damage to get their kills, unless you are very accurate and score hits in the convergence sweet spot.

If you are firng from behind or being shot at from dead 6, guess what is the major target area? The rudder, tail, and wings all of which house the control linkages for the elevators, alierons and rudder.

I would guestimate that about 1 in 5 times I am killed online I get my controls shot out. Probably a little high but not a completely unrealistic ratio. Offline this seem to be about half, about one in ten.

On a slightly similar note, i would like to see "damaged controls" where you get reduced, but not eliminated, responsiveness from your bird. Some of the best D/Fs i have had on line were trying to scrape myself out of a situation where my elevators/rudder have been partially shot out and i REALLY have to fly well to stay alive.

flyingscampi
12-21-2004, 04:42 AM
If you read rl accounts of air combat, some planes get home shot full of holes, whilst others are downed by a single bullet in a vital component such as the radiator for example.

That is pretty much what happens in the game I think.

Takata_
12-21-2004, 05:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VK_Dim:
(..) Short bursts no matter what plane MGs rail those controls. I don't know how many hit zones htere are but this is hilarious.
It has to be fixed. Not all the fuselage of the plane are the **** controls.
It's like htere is some kind of bullet magnet on those... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with that: controls are way too often shot up, maybe 80% of my own death are from control hits. The other point is that it doesn't work like it's supposed to work: why trim is not working anymore when, for example, elevators are shot up? Why both ailerons are not working when only one wing is shot up? Some planes are loosing elevators (or ailerons, or rudder) with a much higher probability (like 80%) than other controls, etc.

Takata

Xnomad
12-21-2004, 05:45 AM
I think this is always going to be a problem, I'm looking forward to BOB where the damage models are going to more advanced.

I often get hit by one bullet and there goes my elevator, very frustrating and unfair. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif