PDA

View Full Version : Best Notebook for IL-2?

elvinagre
05-22-2007, 09:09 AM
Posted Tue May 22 2007 08:08

I'm returning my HP Pavillion dv92333cl notebook as it has failed for this game and despite the best efforts of FoolTrottel, has not improved.

Ubisoft wont lift a finger to make this game work with notebook cards. I must have a notebook as I travel a lot. I want to fly WW2 planes, so I guess I have no choice but to find a notebook that will work with this game.

What is the best bet for a notebook that will work with IL-2? Have you had good results from something? Alienware? Dell? What?

Thanks.

tagTaken2
05-22-2007, 09:22 AM
I've had great results from an MSI notebook with ATI card.

When I say "great" I mean that it's surprisingly good for a notebook.

If you want gaming, get a desktop.

If you must purchase a laptop, bite down on the consequences.

Lesson one- BRAND = ****

Lesson two- BRAND = $$$$

Lesson three- do some research

Lesson four- it's your fault, not Ubi's (or Maddox's) if you didn't pay attention at Lesson one, two or three, or didn't just BUY A DESKTOP.

Happy hunting! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

elvinagre
05-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Tagtaken2:

You cant tell me that with all the advances in graphics for notebooks that they cant get this game to run on them, even if it is at reduced resolution.

There is a big market for mobile gaming. UBI is making a big mistake not designing for it.

I'm doing research right now. What works for this game. Reasearch will not tell me that as "no notebook cards are supported" Only experience from users counts now.

Dont tell me to get a desktop. I have to make this game run on a notebook.

R988z
05-22-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm suprised it doesn't run on that machine, I can (just) run '46 on my now ancient HP NX5000 1.5GHz centrino with 512mB ram and 64mb onboard shared graphics and 5400rpm hdd. I could run previous versions of the game acceptably on 800x600 with most options turned off, now with '46 and since PF really I have had to run it in 640x480. I can still have fun online, the main issue is really that I run out of ram all the time leading to massive lag outs for 1-2mins at a time every hour or so, more often if the server is busy.

I've been looking around to replace this, ideally I want a larger media centre/gaming laptop for entertainment and a smaller portable one more for business stuff. So far I've been disappointed with most media centre stuff, so I've recently gone for a portable laptop, with similar specs to your HP actually, except smaller, only 13.3" screen, so I will be interested to see how it handles gaming, even though that wasn't what I bought it for.

From looking around most graphics cards in laptops, including the new nvidia quadro stuff seems more aimed at the business graphics and rendering type work than gaming at the moment, so I am holding off for maybe a year or so to see what the specs of Storm of war turn out to be and also wait for DX10 and the new range of portable gaming cards to mature a bit before jumping in. Give me more time to save up as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

tagTaken2
05-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Okay. I'm not saying give up, I'm just saying you'll have to be realistic in your expectations.
It's never been easy to get a game to work on the infinite combinations of hardware possible with a PC, which is why most are taking the low road and designing for console.
The " no notebook cards supported" is just to avoid another can of worms.
The thing about this game is that it's very scalable, it's still possible to play on the original minimum game stats... 7 years ago. I wouldn't be kicking the game designers too much for that.
You'll have to make some compromises, the trick is to know the ones that matter: 16bit colour, vsycnch off etc.
And ultimately, notebooks are designed for people with work to do- graphics-intensive laptops are for people in visual design, not for playing games.

In the end, all I can suggest is to look at the reviews and the stats.

And my personal experience is to avoid the big brands as much as possible- all show, no go.

crazyivan1970
05-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Aspire™ 9810

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7200 (4MB L2 cache, 2.0GHz, 667MHz FSB); 2GB (1/1) DDR2 667 SDRAM; 320GB (160/160) SATA hard drive; integrated HD DVD-ROM drive; 5-in-1 card reader; 20.1" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) TFT display, Acer® CrystalBrite Technology; NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600 graphics, 256MB

All in all 2.600 USD, give or take. If you can afford it, it runs just about anything http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

leitmotiv
05-22-2007, 11:11 AM
I believe somebody had several posts a few months ago about setting up a Mac laptop to play IL-2 46. I use a MacBook Pro for business, and I am sure it could easily run IL-2 46.

Huxley_S
05-22-2007, 11:15 AM
This would likely do the job...

2.16GHz Intel Core Duo T2600, 17-inch widescreen display, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX graphics, 4GB of DDR2 RAM

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/18/dells-xps-m1710-gaming-laptop/

elvinagre
05-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Just for the record, this is the (new) notebook that failed:

HP DV9233CL
1.66 dual core
2 gigs RAM
go 7600 card w 256 dedicated memory

will only run game in windowed mode, cursor disappears in full sceen and resets to lowest resolution. also escape key fails.

Thanks for your input. I may get a mac after all.

leitmotiv
05-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Reliability-wise, Macs beat the hell out of any PC, but there is always the exception. I bought a 15" Powerbook three years ago which was from hell. Fried its own HD, was psychotic from the get go. Apple refused to replace it. Finally just replaced it myself with the MacBook Pro this year.

horseback
05-22-2007, 11:38 AM
I used a Sony Toughbook with 1Gb of RAM that ran Forgotten Battles/AEP pretty darn well a couple of years ago. Can't remember the particulars too well (it was a company computer), but I didn't try adding Pacific Fighters because it had given me fits on my desktops (mostly because I hadn't updated my mobo drivers).

You might not be able to get Il-2 '46 to run on your laptop, but if you can still find the FB/AEP Gold Pack and patch it up, that will give you most of the planes in '46 to fly offline, at least.

cheers

horseback

Huxley_S
05-22-2007, 11:55 AM
will only run game in windowed mode, cursor disappears in full sceen and resets to lowest resolution. also escape key fails.

OK, these seem like software conflicts rather than any fault of the hardware.

Download Tune Up utilities from www.tune-up.com (http://www.tune-up.com) it's got a 30 day free trial which is plenty of time to fix your notebook.

Use the tune-up uninstall manager to uninstall any software that came pre-loaded that you don't need or want - including your anti-virus if it is the McAfee software that often comes preloaded on these things. Get AVG anti-virus from free.grisoft.com - it's better than McAfee (no conflicts and it is totally free)

Use the Tune-Up startup manager to make sure no unwanted software or processes are launching at start up.

Run the Tune-Up registry cleaner to clean the registry. No doubt it will find a lot of problems.

Run the Tune Up system optimizer to disable system hogging Windows features.

Uninstall 1946 and reinstall it.

You're done. Bet you it now works! (unless you are using Vista, then bets are off http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

tagTaken2
05-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Man, Michael Buble sucks.

Ernst_Rohr
05-22-2007, 12:29 PM
If your looking for a desktop replacement style gaming laptop, you need to go check out Sager.

www.sagernotebook.com (http://www.sagernotebook.com)

These are the guys that used to make Alienwares laptops for them. VERY nice laptops, and you can get very high end components on them.

The 5960 has and AMD 64 X2 dual core, and a Nvidia 7950, with the option of a dual 7950 GTX SLI config. That also comes with a 20" LCD.

Yeah, thats right a 20" lcd on a laptop. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I highly recommend them, one of my squadron members just bought one on my recommendation and he is incredibly pleased with it.

I have used their stuff for several years, top notch systems, and the tech support has been very good.