PDA

View Full Version : Can I play on a 56k modem

Zapp-Brannigan
09-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Hey,

i finally got pacific fighters and a friend is downloading the patches for me, can I play online with my kak 56kbps modem? what if i put the settings on very very low?

thanks,

Erik

Kuna15
09-18-2005, 10:27 AM
I think you can but please post your system specs also... it is desirable that you have a good specs because of slow connection to avoid as much as possible lag.
800Ӕ600 resolution and lower video details will certainly help.

Hawggy
09-18-2005, 11:35 AM
800Ӕ600 resolution and lower video details will certainly help.

No - they won't. FPS, and game performance have little if anything to do with packet loss.

Regardless of system specs, It'd be near impossible to remain connected to a server and utilize the voice comms. U may be able to join in some servers if they have a higher tolerance for high pings, but staying connected would become a chore - especially if you had squad mates to communicate with.

Ritter_Cuda
09-18-2005, 11:57 AM
yes you can I fly on a 56K and know some tht fly on 28K it the ping spikes that can get you On a good day I can fly on War clouds with coms on a bad i Get kicked just the facts of life.
Cuda

ashley2005
09-18-2005, 04:26 PM
lol do people run 56k still ...that connection should be banned :P

Kuna15
09-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Hawggy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">800Ӕ600 resolution and lower video details will certainly help.

No - they won't. FPS, and game performance have little if anything to do with packet loss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is certainly right if we are talking about good system that will run game without problems on high video settings. Even then we will get smoother fps if he drop some settings down.

But if he is on average/low system he will have to drop his video settings a bit, because that alone will create stutter (in well populated areas especially) if he don't do that, let alone occasional lag due to bad connection.

Online stutter (fps drop down) and lag (packet loss) do not have to be connected with each other, but are manifesting on similar way and are very annoying. I was myself 56ker with slow machine once, and I had to drop video settings a bit because offline stutter is nowhere near dangerous in comparison to online stutter/lag.

I hope that Zapp-Brannigan will post his specs because that way we could help him better with some tips.

Hawggy
09-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Suffice to say that 56Ker's don't near experience online play the way it's meant, and most folk I've known who went against the grain due to their location or sheer bullheadedness either upgrade, or don't show up in HyperLobby anymore regardless of their video settings, video card, RAM speed and amount, or CPU.

It's just that way - phone lines are an ancient means of exchanging packets, and modern day dev's just won't be able to bridge that gap - they can't program for cable/DSL AND dial-up users, and you can guess which the dev's deemed more a priority without even seeing the "rubber-banding" dial-up users create on a server full of blokes.

raisen
09-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Aim for the servers with the lowest ping values on hyperlobby and you should be fine. If you see servers with ping around 110 to 150 you should neither cause a problem to others or have any problems your self. If ping for the server you are connecting to is of the sort range you can see above, the server is likely to be reasonably geographically close to you (it's typical for a dial up connection with players and server in the UK for example).

If you are unlucky enough to get kicked by some broadband snobs at that sort of ping, it's their loss.... try another.

A heavy infestation of spyware could eat a little bandwidth, and a lot of processor time. You don't want to be sharing the connection via Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing with anybody whilst you play either.

Raisen

Tully__
09-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Ping is not that critical, but it is ESSENTIAL that your dial up connection provide a good STABLE flow of data. A lot of dial up connections are noisy or oversubscribed, causing a lot of delayed or lost packets. If you're on one of these less than perfect services, your dialup online play will be miserable.