PDA

View Full Version : canopy on some AC

hdjuey
04-24-2007, 05:05 PM
why do some open and some dosen't
and there is a lever that say turbo charger but it dosen't move in the P-47
and on all planes when I try to adjust mixture I get noting no movement in the lever
thanks

Fireball_
04-24-2007, 05:50 PM
I don't know in particular about the turbocharger lever in the P-47, but some levers in some planes don't move even though the function actually works. For example in the Corsair and the Hellcat when you lock/unlock the tailwheel, the tail wheel lever doesn't move, even though the tailwheel is really being locked/unlocked.

These are the kind of things I'm really looking forward to being fixed in BoB, moreso than modeling each molecule of every cloud.

Makabi-
04-24-2007, 05:59 PM
the reason of why some cockpits open and some don't is because opennable cockpits was a feature added with Pacific Fighters, and for some reason it wasn't taken advantage of afterwards.

Skycat_2
04-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Some of the canopies open because those particular planes were built for Pacific Fighters, and you have to open the canopy before you can raise the seat so that you can see over the nose better when landing on carriers. It would have been to much effort to rework all of the older planes from IL-2, FB and AEP to give them opening canopies as well. I guess it wasn't considered a necessary feature for the land-based planes that were released after Pacific Fighters either.

horseback
04-24-2007, 06:39 PM
As noted above, it was a feature added to some of the carrier fighters that came with Pacific Fighters. It was not considered necessary even for all the carrier fighters, and I imagine that it required a bit of extra cockpit modeling, given the higher point of view in those cases.

Are all the aircraft added since Pacific Fighters able to open their canopies? I haven't bothered to check, and I bet I'm not the only one.

cheers

horseback

Nimits
04-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Well, it was standard practice to do carrier ops with canopy opened; if something went wrong, one could exit the aircraft quicker. This does work in game; if you bail out of an aicraft with its canopy already open, you will get out faster and you can survive lower bail outs.

For this reason, (as well as for asthetics), it would have been nice to have opening canopies on all the post Pacific Fighters aircraft.

M_Gunz
04-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Makabi-:
the reason of why some cockpits open and some don't is because opennable cockpits was a feature added with Pacific Fighters, and for some reason it wasn't taken advantage of afterwards.

Because of the dozens of 3D models that would have to be changed in significant ways?

Makabi-
04-24-2007, 10:12 PM
by afterwards I was referring to Pe-2, SoM, and 46. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

M_Gunz
04-24-2007, 10:55 PM
I thought you meant do the other planes afterwards. There has been a good bit or rework
required on the older models but not for openable canopies.

EDIT: BTW, time to make many of those models went x-many-x months. Was Pe-2 and later models
already in progress at AEP release is possible. In any case the openable cockpits are extra
work that perhaps only some modelers felt like doing or MG felt like implementing the motion.

XyZspineZyX
04-25-2007, 07:39 AM
The canopy on the MiG9 opens.

cawimmer430
04-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Skunk241981:
The canopy on the MiG9 opens.

I got to try that at 800 km/h plus! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif