PDA

View Full Version : What Can We Learn From Brotherhood (gameplay-wise)?

Saracenar
07-27-2011, 04:56 AM
Hey guys. I've just started playing Brotherhood again, in anticipation for Revelations' release, and it got me thinking.

Not that I haven't already expressed my opinions, but I felt it would be good to put them all together as a whole, and elaborate further in some respects. This will be the first in a series of commentaries and observations about the gameplay and mechanics of Assasin's Creed.

So, down to business.

The End of Game Fight
End of game fights need improvement. When I climbed that wall, heading for the final fight with Cesare, I was looking forward to an epic one-on-one battle against a challenging, worthy foe.

Instead, I just kept mashing square while Cesare stood in a corner hopelessly blocking me until the next small group of an infinite supply of guards came to give him time to try and shoot me in the back while I dispatched them.

That, is not how a boss/end of game battle should be. Cesare was almost easier to beat than a Borgia Captain, and to me that doesn't make much sense.

Here's how I think things should have gone down.

Cesare should be far more aggressive. More attacking, less defending. Immune to kick, grab, lethal counters, etcetera. He should randomly dodge and counter my attacks every few strikes, to force me to stop hitting square and actually manoeuvre Ezio. He should even be able to kick me, break my guard.

After he loses about a third of health, have a quick time event. Upon victory, Cesare retreats behind a group of guards, who I must dispatch before I can return to fighting him. Once this is done, he should take out the pistol and try to shoot me as I close in.

Another round of fighting before another quick time event and another group of guards. Then, once he's down to a third of health, he gets really nasty and disarms my current equipped weapon, forcing me to use a different one. The fight continues until I reduce his health to zero, and the cinematic commences.

Would that have been so hard? Please, if the bald dude in the trailer is the main boss for Revelations, please don't have a repeat of the Cesare fight.

This is the first part of a series of critiques and suggestions I'll be making about Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and the future of the AC franchise in terms of gameplay and mechanics. If you agree with me, let me know. If you don't, tell me why, and how you would have wanted things. I look forward to it.

Thanks for reading.

acjake
07-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Yeah the AC:B boss was fairly easy.

twenty_glyphs
07-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Yeah, boss encounters definitely need work in the AC series. The problem for me is that the combat is just not that fun to begin with. It's fun against groups of enemies for short times, but one-on-one for more than a minute gets really tedious. I guess the AC1 Al Mualim fight is still the best boss fight in the series, and it was just okay. At least there you had a group of people, then went one-on-one in small spurts.

I think the end of game fights need to focus more on the overall assassination experience. I liked sneaking into the Sistine Chapel at the end of AC2, but the whole castle level with Cesare wasn't as fun or stealthy. It would have been fun if you could have actually managed to stay undetected in that level, but it was nearly impossible. I've replayed it several times trying to not get detected and just can't. What makes that even worse is whenever you are detected, you have to fight hordes of enemies and can't really find a suitable place to hide fast enough because there are so many enemies. On top of that, the checkpoint markers can't be triggered until you're undetected! This would have been more fun if it was challenging but possible to stay undetected throughout the level and sneak up onto the castle and catch Cesare unaware.

I'm torn on whether I want better combat or just a really awesome assassination/planning experience for end of game bosses. I think I would really enjoy a level that was difficult to get through using stealth and lots of free-running and climbing, then needing to get the drop on your target at the end. Also having some options, like taking out key guards to make it easier, or somehow luring your target into a better location, would be nice.

You mentioned the Borgia towers, and I really liked the leaders that you had to sneak up on lest they run away. Perhaps the final boss could be really hard to get the drop on, but if you do the kill is really satisfying. Otherwise, you either trigger difficult combat or a difficult chase, or have to adjust your plan to sneak up on a different location where the target is. It would be annoying to just keep de-synching when you don't kill the target, but that's an option for failure too. I just don't know how satisfying this would be for some people, since a lot of people might not like that all you have to do is press one button to kill the final boss. I would really like it because it would be about the experience.

In Brotherhood, I really enjoyed the Banker assassination (which was one of the only real "assassinations") doing the 100% synch requirement of doing it from a bench on my first try. It was challenging and exciting to sneak around that hill without being seen to get on that bench so I could get the Banker when he came by. I would have loved something similar but harder for Cesare. Such as he patrols the castle walls and you can take out some guards and free-run and climb around the outside without being detected so you can sneak up on him for a ledge assassination during a small window of time when he walks by.

blazefp
07-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Agree. The boss was terribly easy. It definitely needs improvement. Also, they take too long to shoot. I'm 2 feet away from a guard with a crossbow and he stills takes 5 seconds to shoot

kriegerdesgottes
07-27-2011, 09:41 AM
ok I see what you are saying but these games are made to be realistic and Cesare was a spoiled rotten Italian son of the pope. How hard should it really be for a master assassin to kill a spoiled Italian guy who had others to do his dirty work for him? I do like the kick and dodge idea though.

blazefp
07-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
ok I see what you are saying but these games are made to be realistic and Cesare was a spoiled rotten Italian son of the pope. How hard should it really be for a master assassin to kill a spoiled Italian guy who had others to do his dirty work for him? I do like the kick and dodge idea though.

In real life he himself actually killed Giovanni Borgia (his brother, not Juan Borgia) to get a hand on the papal army. He was a sick lunatic that really only wanted power. Machiavelli calls him the "perfect prince" because he was fearless and a mischievous dirty bastard. He was also a very experienced warrior. Plus he was wearing better equipment than all the other soldiers.

A master assassin would have no problem in defeating him, I agree, but for us, the players, it would be good if we needed to do more than just hit square a thousand times

xCr0wnedNorris
07-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by blazefp:
A master assassin would have no problem in defeating him, I agree, but for us, the players, it would be good if we needed to do more than just hit square a thousand times

Or X... Or left-click... Can't go forgetting about the other systems, can we? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

blazefp
07-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by xCr0wnedNorris:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blazefp:

Or X... Or left-click... Can't go forgetting about the other systems, can we? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, ok you'r correct, sorry but I only have the PS3 system so I don't know the button to attack in Xbox or PC xP

NewBlade200
07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Cesare should have been more aggressive than he was in the game and so should the other guards (didn't devs say enemies would attack at the same time at some point?). It would also have been welcome if he did more significant damage, but then you have to remember that the whole sequence 9 (and parts of 8) felt rushed and incomplete.

It's not like they will make any changes in Revs. They don't care, all they want is your money. To expect them to care when you are just going to buy their next half finished product anyway is just absurd.

scout455
07-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:
Yeah, boss encounters definitely need work in the AC series. The problem for me is that the combat is just not that fun to begin with. It's fun against groups of enemies for short times, but one-on-one for more than a minute gets really tedious. I guess the AC1 Al Mualim fight is still the best boss fight in the series, and it was just okay. At least there you had a group of people, then went one-on-one in small spurts.

I think the end of game fights need to focus more on the overall assassination experience. I liked sneaking into the Sistine Chapel at the end of AC2, but the whole castle level with Cesare wasn't as fun or stealthy. It would have been fun if you could have actually managed to stay undetected in that level, but it was nearly impossible. I've replayed it several times trying to not get detected and just can't. What makes that even worse is whenever you are detected, you have to fight hordes of enemies and can't really find a suitable place to hide fast enough because there are so many enemies. On top of that, the checkpoint markers can't be triggered until you're undetected! This would have been more fun if it was challenging but possible to stay undetected throughout the level and sneak up onto the castle and catch Cesare unaware.

I'm torn on whether I want better combat or just a really awesome assassination/planning experience for end of game bosses. I think I would really enjoy a level that was difficult to get through using stealth and lots of free-running and climbing, then needing to get the drop on your target at the end. Also having some options, like taking out key guards to make it easier, or somehow luring your target into a better location, would be nice.

You mentioned the Borgia towers, and I really liked the leaders that you had to sneak up on lest they run away. Perhaps the final boss could be really hard to get the drop on, but if you do the kill is really satisfying. Otherwise, you either trigger difficult combat or a difficult chase, or have to adjust your plan to sneak up on a different location where the target is. It would be annoying to just keep de-synching when you don't kill the target, but that's an option for failure too. I just don't know how satisfying this would be for some people, since a lot of people might not like that all you have to do is press one button to kill the final boss. I would really like it because it would be about the experience.

In Brotherhood, I really enjoyed the Banker assassination (which was one of the only real "assassinations") doing the 100% synch requirement of doing it from a bench on my first try. It was challenging and exciting to sneak around that hill without being seen to get on that bench so I could get the Banker when he came by. I would have loved something similar but harder for Cesare. Such as he patrols the castle walls and you can take out some guards and free-run and climb around the outside without being detected so you can sneak up on him for a ledge assassination during a small window of time when he walks by. I like the last mission and all the fighting but the ceasare battle was to easy they should really make it it tougher the AC 2 boss battle was alright but personally I didn't like the stealthiness.I don't mind it but I like to fight and have action but for AC not to have any stealth missions in the game then it wouldnt be AC. If you know what I mean. The Borgia towers were really fun but I wouldnt mind if they made it a little more challenging. But overall they do need to make the boss mission a little more challenging. When u say challenging I mean combat wise.

Saracenar
07-27-2011, 09:27 PM
@twenty_glyphs:

I completely agree with you. The AC1 Boss was the best so far. Infiltrating the Vatican in 2 was pretty good, but fighting Rodrigo was similar to Cesare, except he didn't have guards assisting him.

I think, in order to appeal to the mainstream audience, which is obviously what they are trying to do, the end of game things will always be more combat oriented. I'd like to end the game with a perfect assassination, but it doesn't seem to be the way the series is going, unfortunately.

Killing the Banker was a good level, I did enjoy that one.

@kriegerdesgotte:

I think your statement has been addressed. Cesare was a very formidable opponent, and that should have been better reflected in the fight.

@NewBlade200:

Yeah, but one can always hope, can't they? Even if the games didn't change, and just the story was developed on, I'd still buy them, because I have to see how it ends. Unfortunately, that means Ubi can get away with (almost) anything gameplay-wise and still get my money...

Thanks for reading, guys, I'll leave this a little longer before tackling my next issue: Combat in General.

Calvarok
07-27-2011, 10:37 PM
To be honest, even the AC 1 end fight (counter with hidden blade, instant kill) was better than the Cesare one. I liked the way it was set up and how it ended, as well as the setpieces leading up to it. But it was not all that fun or difficult. I mainly shot him with my gun. Final bosses should be special, and fight differently than a normal guard with bigger hp and who blocks counters and executions. And the final boss shouldn't be the only one who fights like that. There should be special guard archetypes, or main story characters who are not assassination targets, but fight bosses. this system needs to be good. If they do that, fix some of the unresponsiveness of countering, tighten up controls and add new options, and make guards more aggressive and do more damage (guards should attack immediately after entering combat.) but also make your health regenerate up to the last 3 or so blocks you lost, meaning less waste of medicine, then combat will truly be an enjoyable part of Assassin's Creed. But in all honesty, the actual assassinating is more important. Rooftop guards need to be scary because they can kill you, not because they desynch you. Environments should have multiple traversing paths. The player should always be able to choose his approach.

acjake
07-27-2011, 10:52 PM
- Give the player more choice and make it more open ended.

- Re-vamp notoriety system
I was also thinking to make the whole incognito and notoriety system better in SP, why couldn't they add some sort of bounty hunter guild. I mean its not realistic that when you take posters down no one knows who you are. So basically the bounty hunters could be unscripted (random encounters) and even if you were incognito they could attack you anytime (because you are known).

- Just read something really awesome on AC Wikia

"Ezio frequently changes his clothes to blend in better, such as wearing monks' robes when going to the monastery, or wearing poor civilian clothes within the village outside Forlė. In the game, Ezio's outfit generally stays the same." (From the AC:Renaissance book, I tried to put in a link but it wouldn't work)

Anyway why not put that in game?

Turkiye96
07-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Saracenar:
Hey guys. I've just started playing Brotherhood again, in anticipation for Revelations' release, and it got me thinking.

Not that I haven't already expressed my opinions, but I felt it would be good to put them all together as a whole, and elaborate further in some respects. This will be the first in a series of commentaries and observations about the gameplay and mechanics of Assasin's Creed.

So, down to business.

The End of Game Fight
End of game fights need improvement. When I climbed that wall, heading for the final fight with Cesare, I was looking forward to an epic one-on-one battle against a challenging, worthy foe.

Instead, I just kept mashing square while Cesare stood in a corner hopelessly blocking me until the next small group of an infinite supply of guards came to give him time to try and shoot me in the back while I dispatched them.

That, is not how a boss/end of game battle should be. Cesare was almost easier to beat than a Borgia Captain, and to me that doesn't make much sense.

Here's how I think things should have gone down.

Cesare should be far more aggressive. More attacking, less defending. Immune to kick, grab, lethal counters, etcetera. He should randomly dodge and counter my attacks every few strikes, to force me to stop hitting square and actually manoeuvre Ezio. He should even be able to kick me, break my guard.

After he loses about a third of health, have a quick time event. Upon victory, Cesare retreats behind a group of guards, who I must dispatch before I can return to fighting him. Once this is done, he should take out the pistol and try to shoot me as I close in.

Another round of fighting before another quick time event and another group of guards. Then, once he's down to a third of health, he gets really nasty and disarms my current equipped weapon, forcing me to use a different one. The fight continues until I reduce his health to zero, and the cinematic commences.

Would that have been so hard? Please, if the bald dude in the trailer is the main boss for Revelations, please don't have a repeat of the Cesare fight.

This is the first part of a series of critiques and suggestions I'll be making about Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and the future of the AC franchise in terms of gameplay and mechanics. If you agree with me, let me know. If you don't, tell me why, and how you would have wanted things. I look forward to it.

Thanks for reading.
I like your idea but he shouldn't be allowed to take away your hidden blade.. also, while i agree cesare did fight like a weak coward, thats what he is... see cesare is always up for an unfair battlefield... but i dont think they should have made him so vulnerable to Ezio, they should lower his health bar ( not too much) and make him more challenging
even tho i had to use a bunch of medicine in the final battle, (i focused on cesare and got hit a lot by the guards..) i think he should have been more up to Ezio's level, the only attack he had that actually hit me was his bullets... so we they need to make hom do stuff like dodge and imediatly attack and actually make AI with tactics rather then the AI selecting random movements...

also i have some good news, Ezio's main enemy in Revelations in SPOILER!!! (<span class="ev_code_WHITE">''The Bodyguard'', a guard to the royal heir to the byzantine thrown or something like that, they said it in this magazine article but i cant remember the name</span>)
and it said that he/she would have the same phisical ability as Ezio

NewBlade200
07-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by acjake:
"Ezio frequently changes his clothes to blend in better, such as wearing monks' robes when going to the monastery, or wearing poor civilian clothes within the village outside Forlė. In the game, Ezio's outfit generally stays the same." (From the AC:Renaissance book, I tried to put in a link but it wouldn't work)

Anyway why not put that in game? You need to remember that a depressingly large portion of the gaming community has little to no attention span and must not be distracted at any cost (according to someone in the dev team, apparently http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif ). To challenge these people in any way would make them throw their controllers in defeat.
The addition you suggest to add requires an average IQ, which apparently they don't think we have, if they expect us to be happy with what appears to be ACB all over again.
The bottom line is: they do not care about what you want if you consume their product anyway.
The changing clothes thing sounds like an interesting idea. You could build on it by having a meter telling you how suspicious you look.
ie: Ottoman breastplate and helmet = -60% suspicion. Non Ottoman district = +60% suspicion.
Parts of the outfits could be obtained by buying, and others could be obtained through highlighted side missions.

Originally posted by Turkiye96
also i have some good news, Ezio's main enemy in Revelations in SPOILER!!! (<span class="ev_code_WHITE">''The Bodyguard'', a guard to the royal heir to the byzantine thrown or something like that, they said it in this magazine article but i cant remember the name</span>)
and it said that he/she would have the same phisical ability as Ezio Didn't they say the exact same thing for Cesare?
You seem to need a lot of salt to listen to these guys these days, right?

acjake
07-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by NewBlade200:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by acjake:

Anyway why not put that in game? You need to remember that a depressingly large portion of the gaming community has little to no attention span and must not be distracted at any cost (according to someone in the dev team, apparently http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif ). To challenge these people in any way would make them throw their controllers in defeat.
The addition you suggest to add requires an average IQ, which apparently they don't think we have, if they expect us to be happy with what appears to be ACB all over again.
The bottom line is: they do not care about what you want if you consume their product anyway.
The changing clothes thing sounds like an interesting idea. You could build on it by having a meter telling you how suspicious you look.
ie: Ottoman breastplate and helmet = -60% suspicion. Non Ottoman district = +60% suspicion.
Parts of the outfits could be obtained by buying, and others could be obtained through highlighted side missions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the meter idea and I mean they can make the whole outfit changing thing optional...so people who don't want to play using a variety of elements don't have to.

NewBlade200
07-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by acjake:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NewBlade200:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by acjake:

Parts of the outfits could be obtained by buying, and others could be obtained through highlighted side missions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the meter idea and I mean they can make the whole outfit changing thing optional...so people who don't want to play using a variety of elements don't have to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They have to release the game within a year of the previous one so they are only trying to give us what is either necessary or what will draw in more of the casual and non-fans. The 100% sync feature was probably their last ditch effort to make the game ''harder'' for the fans while keeping it easy for the aforementioned <STRIKE>idiot</STRIKE> low IQ/casual/non-fan crowd.

Saracenar
07-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Pessimistic notions aside, here's the next part of my series.

Combat in General
How can we improve the combat, while not making it hard for all the 12 year olds out there who technically shouldn't even be playing the game anyway?

Well, I say screw 'em. None of the stuff in this thread is likely to be seen by someone working on the game anyway, so I'm just going to say how I'd like to see it (wait, didn't I just dismiss pessimistic notions? Oh well...).

Combat needs to change. With Brotherhood's release, a whole new level of ease was added. Seriously, AC1 was the hardest game of the series, if you actually wanted to play it the right way.

So what needs to be done? Firstly, higher-level guards shouldn't have to be kicked ALL THE TIME in order to break their defence. I know you can dodge and strike back, but how many people are actually going to do it, besides us hardcore players?

The kick system is wrong. I say, we go back to AC2's combat system first, and work up.

So no kick, no kill-streaks, no auto-deflection for all guards besides the basic ones, and so on. Let's start again.

First priority: the guards themselves. They need, need need need need NEED, to be more aggressive. As soon as combat starts, attack. Attack in groups, making it harder to continually counter, meaning we have to choose our moments better. When they grab Ezio, another should attack much sooner than in Brotherhood. I mean really, there's about a 5 second gap while one guard holds you and another prepares to attack (waaaay too much time to counter-grab if you ask me).

For the better-armoured guards, allow them to deflect sometimes, not all the time. Allow them to perform non-lethal counters occasionally.

For Agiles, yes they can dodge, but other than that, they don't pose much threat at all (unless you're running away, but why would we need to do that?). Again, they need to be more aggressive, and should be able to break our defences occasionally.

For Brutes, they should not be so easy to beat. They were much better in AC2, where after three strikes they didn't just get executed. Make them slightly slower, but again, more aggressive. They should have much better resilience and really seem like a threat, not just another guard with a bigger weapon. I'm thinking, no dodge, but stronger and more likely blocks/counters.

For Seekers. Seekers are actually pretty good. I like that they are so much harder to counter, and actually pose a decent threat. I'd say they don't really need to be changed, save for the usual aggression increase.

Now, to address kill-streaks. They are awesome. I love how they look, and they really do exemplify Ezio's prowess, but they are just so overpowered...

I say, keep them in. BUT, something needs to be changed about them. With the introduction of occasional dodging on the part of the guards in general, kill-streaks could be stopped from time to time in this way. However, more needs to be done. What, I'm not entirely sure.

Do you think kill-streaks need to change? My only concern about them is that they make things far too easy. Aesthetically they are pretty good, except when some animations don't fully mesh one after the other.

So what changes have we made? Faster, more aggressive guards, with the ability to counter or dodge every now and then. No kick. Toned down kill-streaks. Altered enemy types.

My next topic will be Weapons.. For now, let us discuss what has been raised. Thanks again.

Conniving_Eagle
07-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Well, If you want to read my thread about combat... http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...024/m/2451059829/p/4 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/2451059829/p/4)

Saracenar
07-29-2011, 11:56 PM
I like what you've written. That is something I would definitely support.

Please devs, please read our threads!

Animuses
07-30-2011, 01:23 AM
I don't want that kick ability there at all, but I think we all know it will be there...

bveUSbve
07-30-2011, 03:10 AM
It's not like they will make any changes in Revs. They don't care, all they want is your money. To expect them to care when you are just going to buy their next half finished product anyway is just absurd.
That's a nice cynical point of view, and I tend to agree to the assessment of UBISOFT as well as to the underlying wish for more refinement of gameplay.

On the other hand I think it should not be underestimated that, supposedly, a majority of AC-players don't care that much about the "improvements" regularly discussed by fans. Indeed UBISOFT might be right that with any step in the direction of more sophistication/difficulty they risk to lose a bunch of "casual"-gamers.

But those who DO CARE about finer details of the AC-experience really have the option to vote with their wallet too. This doesn't necessarily mean to not play an installment at all. But to play it (much) later, for example.

MacDaddyMcC
07-30-2011, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Saracenar:

Exactly what I did, not epic to say the least. Needs way more improvement. I was expected to heal 4-5 times in that fight. I never did once cause he was so easy. Just kick em in the kahones and mash the square/X button. Way to easy and atleast make it one on one. How is it a fair fight if he gets his army against you. 1-1 fights with harder difficulty and make it epic please. That is all I ask.

Animuses
07-31-2011, 02:09 PM
I don't believe in boss fights like the ones used in AC2 and ACB, it's STOOPID.
Robert de Sable was just like a Temlar combat wise and that's how I think all main antagonists should fight like, the strongest possible guard in the game. Of course it should have a little extra stuff, like the fight against Al Mualim with all the "illusions" the apple created.

SquarePolo27
07-31-2011, 02:44 PM
I think it's that they tried to cram too many mechanics in a single year-and-a-bit of developing time. You got the Assassins, the Borgia towers, the War Machines, refined combat. It's just that they tried to put too much stuff in it and it fell short http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

NewBlade200
07-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Sticker704:
I think it's that they tried to cram too many mechanics in a single year-and-a-bit of developing time. You got the Assassins, the Borgia towers, the War Machines, refined combat. It's just that they tried to put too much stuff in it and it fell short http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif More like they tried to put the wrong mechanics in.

Saracenar
07-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah, they put in a lot of new features, but I think they ignored things that needed greater priority, like certain aspects of the combat, the notoriety system, the guards' intelligence and other characteristics.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed a lot of that stuff, but I would have preferred other things be addressed and polished before new things are added.