PDA

View Full Version : My 24" lcd widescreen is dead. Best place for another?

Choctaw111
01-21-2010, 08:15 AM
I have had it for almost three years and then two nights ago I heard a "pop" come from the display and then the brightness faded being brighter on the right and fading to dark on the left.
I showed my wife and tried adjusting the brightness when the display completely gave up at that point.
I wonder what happened to it?
I looked up Acer's warranty and it says 3 years limited, whatever that means.
Will Acer fix it or replace it.
Has anyone else had any trouble with these displays?
Mine is the AL2216W.
I am now using a backup 22" widescreen and I just can't get used to it.

Edit...
Sorry mods. I thought I put this in the OT section.

Choctaw111
01-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Now what happened? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
I just erased quoting my original post here.

KG26_Alpha
01-21-2010, 08:59 AM
I have replaced a few capacitors on the PSU's on those panels, that could account for the "pop".

There could have been an over voltage else where to burn the backlight out though, usually they just don't light up at all.

If it still under the 3 years Acer will honour the warranty but contact them first with your purchase details.

Jumoschwanz
01-21-2010, 09:17 AM
If you search the internet for problems with your model# monitor you might find a lot of information on what commonly goes wrong with them. Alpha is right in that there is a good chance it was a capacitor blowing.

I had a 22" Gateway monitor in which caps blew and I found step-by-step instructions on the web on how to disassemble and assemble it. Blown caps are easy to spot. You can get a nice little soldering iron etc. at Radio Shack and you can look up how to de-solder and solder the caps. You can pull capacitors out of any other piece of scrap electronic device that are very close to the same value that you need to replace the blown ones.

Get a new monitor for now if you want, but save the old one and take it apart when you get time to try and fix it.

Choctaw111
01-21-2010, 12:41 PM
I've contacted the fellow who built my PC and he told me to just bring in the display and he will get me a new one.
Sure it may just be a blown capacitor, and I wouldn't mind at all to replace it, but if I can get a brand new display why not?

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
I've contacted the fellow who built my PC and he told me to just bring in the display and he will get me a new one.
Sure it may just be a blown capacitor, and I wouldn't mind at all to replace it, but if I can get a brand new display why not?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif