PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Stand Alone guys not flying online. You asked for the server ?

Osirisx9
01-29-2005, 01:06 PM
There I asked the question. And it's directed at the pilots who have the Stand Alone Pacific Fighters or do not wish to go merged but want to play online. You guys have a stable strong server you can fly on and great objective missions. The IP has been published, for those of you who do not want to use HL. Oh one thing about HL, there is allot of exposure for the server. If you join via IP no one will see you on the server and allot of people will just think that it is empty and wont join. Now get together and do some flying. You have your server to fly on now. BTW you guys are welcome to use the Warbirds of Prey Teamspeak. The teamspeak is 69.9.37.146. This will help you find each other too.

RAF238thOsiris
www.warbirdsofprey.org (http://www.warbirdsofprey.org)

lucas_valentine
01-29-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't know if you are gonna have any luck with this. My server has been running for a week and apart from one or two loyal fans I've had practically no partakers. Quite frankly I'm ready to ditch the whole dedicated Standalone server idea. I've all ready wasted God knows how much of my time and electricity on whats seems to be a fools erand.

Martin_078
01-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Hey guys, I'd love to take part in online missions and dogfights. I've only had this game for 2 days, but I's determined to be a dedicated pilot.
Tell me what to do to play online. I have a few quastions about the game, where should I post, I consider myself a newbie I guess, although I play a lot of flight sims.

VMF-214_HaVoK
01-29-2005, 02:46 PM
There is usually about 30-50 stand alone flyers over at UBI. I would head over there and start advertising your server and hyperlobby. IMO the only reason they are there is because the lack of stand alone servers on HL. And seeing how only a small percentage of the community visit the forums there is no way of them knowing that a PF Stand Alone server exist on HL. Heck some might not even know Hyperlobby exist.

Just a suggestion. GL

CrazyMarlin_PR
01-29-2005, 02:53 PM
That's exactly what we need to do. Most of the guys in ubi don't come over here to the forums.

I have started a website, to try and get all of the stand-alone peeps on the same page. Osiris, I listed your server there... Lucas, I would be more than happy to list yours also, if you post the info again...

The website is:
PFSAA (http://pfsaa.no-ip.org)

Bearcat99
01-29-2005, 03:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyMarlin_PR:
That's exactly what we need to do. Most of the guys in ubi don't come over here to the forums.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think its because many of them come from a different culture. When I was in CFS I knew nothing about forums etc.. I just went to the Zone and flew... maybe some of you who know the value of these forums can start to spread the word and get them over here. It is amazing to me how many people miss out simply because they arent in the loop and dont know it exists.

lucas_valentine
01-29-2005, 04:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyMarlin_PR:

I have started a website, to try and get all of the stand-alone peeps on the same page. Osiris, I listed your server there... Lucas, I would be more than happy to list yours also, if you post the info again...

The website is:
http://pfsaa.no-ip.org <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the offer but unfortunatley I rely on programs like Ubi.com and HypperLobby in more than one way. I cannot afford to keep a server running 24/7 as computers eat electricity and I can only fire it up every now and again (usually every day though). This leads to the second problem....I do not have a static IP Address - it changes every so often so I cannot give you an IP address for my server, I rely on Ubi.com to point people to my server and the only way to do this at the moment is by making a room which is my IP as Ubi.com does not support standalone dedicated servers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif .

There is an alternative: We could 'conquer' ASE.

strewth
01-29-2005, 04:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Osirisx9:
There I asked the question. And it's directed at the pilots who have the Stand Alone Pacific Fighters or do not wish to go merged but want to play online. You guys have a stable strong server you can fly on and great objective missions. The IP has been published, for those of you who do not want to use HL. Oh one thing about HL, there is allot of exposure for the server. If you join via IP no one will see you on the server and allot of people will just think that it is empty and wont join. Now get together and do some flying. You have your server to fly on now. BTW you guys are welcome to use the Warbirds of Prey Teamspeak. The teamspeak is 69.9.37.146. This will help you find each other too.

RAF238thOsiris
http://www.warbirdsofprey.org <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK. Thanks for the invite. I am having problems getting in. When I click on "JOIN GAME", it triggers off 3.04m, being the merged game instead of 3.04 causing me to get an error.

Ideas anybody?

strewth
01-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Actually, just had another captain cook at the lobby and when I click on your "Stand_Alone_PF", the top yellow description in "Session information" says "Warbirds of Prey. Pacific Fighters Stand Alone 3.04m" and by clicking on Join Session, actually triggers off 3.04m. Then I get the error as above.

pauldun171
01-29-2005, 05:45 PM
After setting up several dedicated servers on Hyperlobby only to see them sit there unused, I think the problem may be getting over that inital hump. Who want's to join a server with only 1 or 2 other people on it? The established favorites get the biggest draw..
Maybe talk to some of the squads out there and host some squad vs squad battles?

Osirisx9
01-29-2005, 05:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by strewth:
Actually, just had another captain cook at the lobby and when I click on your "Stand_Alone_PF", the top yellow description in "Session information" says "Warbirds of Prey. Pacific Fighters Stand Alone _3.04m_" and by clicking on Join Session, actually triggers off 3.04m. Then I get the error as above. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you attempting to join the wrong server. The Stand_Alone_PF is not the merged server. The Zeke_vs_Wildcat server is the merged server

strewth
01-29-2005, 05:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Osirisx9:

Are you attempting to join the wrong server. The Stand_Alone_PF is not the merged server. The Zeke_vs_Wildcat server is the merged server <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really know how HL operates exactly.

I assumed it triggered which game to exe as I cannot find anywhere to control this function manually. So when I click "Join", the merged version triggers by itself.

Maybe others are having the same probs an that is why there aren't any joining, because it comes up with an error of wrong version, so they move on.??.

Speedfellow
01-29-2005, 06:07 PM
I spent 2hrs in your server and 2 people joined and a couple of times it seemed people were trying to get in but werent able too for some reason. I get your point about how quiet it is but we have 6 squad members who are new to PF and once they are sorted they will be there .
We are trying to spread the word but I think alot dont come to the forums

VMF-214_HaVoK
01-29-2005, 07:11 PM
For what its worth Warclouds set idle with no pilots for a long time when Sparx first moved it from UBI to HL back in the day. I remember him posting in general forum asking why nobody flew in his server. Many pointed out some of the samethings poeple here have pointed out. But as most of you know Warclouds is probably the most popular server in HL. So it just takes some time and abit of advertising dont hurt either.

Enthor1
01-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Strewth, in your PF folder right click the "pf" icon. That is the 20KB Application and select Create Shortcut.

Then right click on that shortcut and select Rename.
Type in "il2fb" without the quotation marks.

When you go to enter Hyperlobby hold the Ctrl and Shift key down and click connect.

This opens a window that allows you to tell Hyperlobby which path to follow to enter games once in Hyperlobby.

Let it search all paths and then select the one from your PF install that says il2fb.

Double click it and Save.
Then connect to Hyperlobby and join the Standalone PF server.

plumps_
01-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Osirisx9, your server description in Hyperlobby is not correct. It says "Pacific Fighters Stand Alone 3.04m.

But that's not the main problem. I have two installs, merged and stand alone. When I click on "Join this session", Hyperlobby runs the merged install instead of the stand alone version. Of course I can't join the server that way.

As long as Hyperlobby doesn't allow the easy use (one-click even for those who have both installs) of PF stand alone servers it will be very difficult to fill the server.

Another obstacle may be the difficulty settings. It may be too hard for new players. Most experienced players do have the merged install and will be kept away by the technical difficulties mentioned above.

Osirisx9
01-29-2005, 08:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by plumps_:
Osirisx9, your server description in Hyperlobby is not correct. It says "Pacific Fighters Stand Alone 3.04_m_.

But that's not the main problem. I have two installs, merged and stand alone. When I click on "Join this session", Hyperlobby runs the merged install instead of the stand alone version. Of course I can't join the server that way.

As long as Hyperlobby doesn't allow the easy use (one-click even for those who have both installs) of PF stand alone servers it will be very difficult to fill the server.

Another obstacle may be the difficulty settings. It may be too hard for new players. Most experienced players do have the merged install and will be kept away by the technical difficulties mentioned above. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

K I see what your saying about the 3.04m. You thought that it was the Merged version even though the server is called Stand_Alone_PF. I'm so used to typing 3.04m instead 3.04 . It will be corrected soon. However the server is a Stand Alone Pacific Fightersserver

RAF238thOsiris
www.warbirdsofprey.org (http://www.warbirdsofprey.org)

strewth
01-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Enthor,

Thanks. Seems to have done the trick.

I would recommend that you blokes see if you can get it made a bit easier than this, as some people don't have the savvy or patience to go through this type of setup, especially when you have to change it all back again to go Euro.

Smidlee
01-29-2005, 08:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by plumps_:

. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I totally agree. I would also like to join the PF alone in hyperlobby but also have the merged version.

Enthor1
01-29-2005, 08:58 PM
(Copied from the other PF Standalone thread since this one is hotter.)

Osirisx9, thanks for keeping the standalone server for awhile longer.

Perhaps a bit of relaxation on settings?
Skin download on is wasted without externals.

Maybe padlock and limited icons till standalone gets going?

A seperate room for standalone at hyperlobby would be great but Jiri seems wed to only a merged room and there are few requests on the Hyperlobby forum for standalone support.

Maybe if those interested in a standalone only room politely contacted Jiri he would reconsider.
http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/

Edit: oops, icons are on sorry.

HotelBushranger
01-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Yay! I just went on! Dropper out too many times though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif lol was in a Zero, coming up behind a coupla allied blokes taken off, but then by flippin wing gets sheared off by AAA! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif lol was still fun though

CrazyMarlin_PR
01-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Sounds like the interest is out there. Osiris, thanks for the server. We'll get it filled.

Two things I think we could do to fill it:

1. Get some squads involved. I see lots of squads in Ubi...if we get them involved, we could bring in lots of folks.

2. Perhaps advertising certain times when we could try to get alot of folks in there. In another online game we played, we used to set Friday nights as an all out blitz to fill the 128 player servers...we never did, but we cam pretty close and had some great games.

On a side note, we've already had some folks come by the website and sign up... If we keep at it, I think we'll get this going.

PFSAA (http://www.predatorsquad.com/pfsaa)

BSS_Vidar
01-30-2005, 12:30 AM
I flew it tonite and had a BLAST. No dominating aircraft. Two well matched airframes with their own strengths an weaknesses. Flew the F4-F, next time I'll jump into a Zeke. Great fun. Thnx Host! Very refreshing.

Martin_078
01-30-2005, 10:42 AM
WHere did you fly? I habe a stand alone, I wanna fly online, someone consider me.

CrazyMarlin_PR
01-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Hey Martin, check out our website. We have dedicated server info there. We are also notifying people of when and where we are playing, so folks can join in...

Stand Alone Games (http://pfsaa.no-ip.org)