PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Map

ClintTheSquint
10-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi

I'm trying to create a canyon map but I just cant seem to get the vertical sides. All my efforts so far have produced a range of mountains with domed tops and sloping sides, and nicely placed objects. Not what I'm looking for at all ! ! !

I have some great ideas in my head for maps but just lack the skill at this moment to pull them off.

Any help on this would be great

Kallb123
10-03-2009, 08:07 AM
with the terrain bar at the side open, you should see 6 tools i think. the second one across is set height. The terrain starts at 20000 so put in a higher number to make the cliffs, or it might be easier to set a lower number and then just draw the canyon in. im not sure how to go about putting indents into the side of the canyon though.

ClintTheSquint
10-04-2009, 03:41 AM
Hi KallB123

I must admit sinking the canyon had crossed my mind as it may give me more control over the shape, but looking at the terrain tutorial they seem to be built up. Any how I'll give it a go, it looks to me as though it will take several hours, if not days just to get the terrain built.

Eltaar
10-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Hello,
It really isn't very hard to create a canyon.

First of all it really makes no difference whether you want to build the cliffs up or sink the bottom down - it depends only on your personal preference.

To form the initial shape it is probably best to use 'Relative height' tool on the 'Terrain' panel. There you can specify the height of the walls (all distances are expressed in centimeters), you can also select 'Raytrace original height map' if you need more control over the final effect. At first it's probably best to use a hard-edged brush, for example 'roundhard.png'. You can also use 'Set height' tool on 'Terrain' panel with 'Pick height' option set to true.

After creating a prototype shape use 'Blur' tool with 'Power' set to a low value (for example 0.1) to soften the edges. Keep in mind that the higher your walls are, the more stretched the textures will be. To prevent that effect you can use 'rock_wall*' models: place these on the sides of your canyon to improve the final effect.

ClintTheSquint
10-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi Eltaar

Thanks for the advice, my first attempt is nearly completed but your tips will smooth out the rough edges. The hard work comes now making the background, I want to give the WWL map a real sense of scale and distance. Plus there is the canyon floor detail to add, the objectives, buildings, destruct points and spawn points are all in place. I just want to give it the right atmosphere, and a real sense of the Wild West.

I do have one other question, can I rename the map once its completed? Like a idiot, after my failed attempts I just called it "TEST Canyon" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

One last thing, Thanks for providing such a powerfull tool, amazing, I just hope I find the time the play online now!!!!!!

seir
10-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Try to add model "horizon_arizona". It was used to make long distance horizon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif