PDA

View Full Version : cable internet works directly but not through router

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 02:28 PM
my cable internet started acting funny the other day (it shut off) i worked with it for hours and got nothing, I reformatted the HD and reinstalled windows. Still nothing. There are 3 computers that use the same internet line through a router. The others work. But one (the gaming one) doesnt connect while plugged into the router but the internet works fine when plugged in directly.

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 02:28 PM
my cable internet started acting funny the other day (it shut off) i worked with it for hours and got nothing, I reformatted the HD and reinstalled windows. Still nothing. There are 3 computers that use the same internet line through a router. The others work. But one (the gaming one) doesnt connect while plugged into the router but the internet works fine when plugged in directly.

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 03:09 PM
Recycle your modem and reset your router. That usually works. I have the same problem when I take my box to a buddies house for a LAN party. It willl take a while nefore I can see his network, then takes a while to see MY network when I get it back home.

http://www.stuartairshow.com/images/p51mustangs.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 03:24 PM
Try disconnect the net cable from the router and connect it direct in your computer...

http://www.luftwaffebrasil.kit.net/figuras/lbr_topo.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 03:32 PM
or...

if you have an ISP like me, you need to wait at least one hour if you change your direct internet cable from one computer to the other. (ISP's router detects a new MAC address and waits at least one hour before accepting traffice from/to that MAC address, this is done by my ISP to counter the fact that many customers with 'mono' account (meaning only 1 computer may be connected) switch it from one computer to another)

btw: shouldn't you be bothering your ISP with this problem instead of bringing this to the general FB discussion forum?

Message Edited on 08/28/0304:33PM by Fresshness

Balls22
12-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Routers are sometimes limited by default to how many LAN IP addresses they will assign. You may need to check the DHCP settings on your router, it sound like it's not accepting more than two connections. Check the start and end IP addresses to see if it's assigning 2 only. If so, change the second one to add a third PC. You can also try unplugging one of the other PC's and then trying to see if this is the case.

You might also want to check that it's not limiting access by MAC address. It could be that the MAC addresses of the other two PC's are entered for automatic acceptance but the third is not. That will block access to the third PC because it's not on the accepted list.

Heliopause
12-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Balls, this thread is nine years old. I dont think XyZspineZyX is still around...lol