PDA

View Full Version : Going to see the Intrepid

p-11.cAce
05-16-2006, 06:12 AM
I am in NY for the first time and am on my way this morning to see the Intrepid! All I can say about the city so far is that those of you who live here or near here are some lucky ****- Unbelievable atmosphere, food, events, etc. Yesterday morning I sat alone in St. Thomas church (just up from St. Patrick's) and listened to an orchestra practice Bach Contatas - 30 minutes later I was outside Radio City gawking at John Madden as he spoke to the paparazzi about moving his show to NBC. Fun stuff!

R_Target
05-16-2006, 06:21 AM
I went a couple years ago. There are lots of jets on the deck but some nice carrier birds on the hangar deck.

PBNA-Boosher
05-16-2006, 10:20 AM
I warn you, P-11.cAce, you may be disappointed. The ship is extremely nice, lovely, even. But I found that the planes were in deteriorating condition when I visited several years ago. The museum doesn't have enough money to fully support them. The internals of the planes are slowly going bad. I asked a few years ago if I could get permission to come in and photograph the cockpits of their WW2 aircraft for the 3rd Party modelers and their projects. They told me this.

Anyways, have fun, the ship itself is great, and just being there in the presence of the planes is awesome.

woofiedog
05-16-2006, 11:20 PM
Be looking forward to your photo's... Have a Great Day! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

p-11.cAce
05-17-2006, 07:24 AM
I warn you, P-11.cAce, you may be disappointed. The ship is extremely nice, lovely, even. But I found that the planes were in deteriorating condition when I visited several years ago. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif You are so correct...I was shocked by the condition of the aircraft and the ship in General. Only one aircraft (an Avenger) is on the hangar deck and the plexi dividing off the ship tour areas from the display rooms was cracked and vandalized. The huey on deck is missing the lower port plexi and the F-4 was sitting in the rain with the canopy open a few inches. None of the a/c have their engines so viewing them was more like looking at a boneyard than a museum. It was neat getting to see the CIC and the Bridge...and standing on the flight deck was a nice experience but I left the Intrepid feeling deflated. The overblown security (airport style) on the front end was heavy handed and left a number of us standing in the rain while people fumbled with change and such - I had to laugh when a man next to me in a heavy German accent commented about the "joy of living in a fear based society". The Growler (submarine) tour was better but our tour guide was not knowledgable at all and the few good questions asked by people on the tour were shrugged off with a giggled "don't know" hehe http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif Sorry for such a dismal report - on the upside MoMA has a mint Bell 47...how ironic.

woofiedog
05-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Very sorry to hear your outcome of the visit to the Intrepid.

Hopefully someone makes some changes there soon... before it all go's down the tube and it is lost.

If your ever in New England... stop at Battleship Cove, Fall River, Massachusetts. I know you'll find... you just don't have enough time too see it all.

Last summer when I was down at the Cove... I asked one of the ex-sailor's working on one of the ships... if I could get into one of the locked areas for some photos. And he opened it up for me and my wife, no problem... and after I took the snap shots, we had quite the talk about our old Navy day's.
My wife even enjoyed herself... after kicking her heals about going there. LoL

http://www.battleshipcove.org/index.htm

mortoma1958
05-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by p-11.cAce:
I am in NY for the first time and am on my way this morning to see the Intrepid! All I can say about the city so far is that those of you who live here or near here are some lucky ****- Unbelievable atmosphere, food, events, etc. Yesterday morning I sat alone in St. Thomas church (just up from St. Patrick's) and listened to an orchestra practice Bach Contatas - 30 minutes later I was outside Radio City gawking at John Madden as he spoke to the paparazzi about moving his show to NBC. Fun stuff! For years I lived within a hour and a half train ride down the Hudson river ( from Poughkeepsie ) and only went there out of necessity a few times for my ex-wife's immigration appointments. And once because she wanted to see a Yankee's game at thier stadium in the Bronx, which was a dirty hellhole by the way. I had utterly no use for it, never wanted to go, no inclination to do so, nothing there I wanted to see or do. I like the simple home life, not the glitsty, phoney and rush-rush, push-push scene of a place like that. It's exciting to some, but annoying to others. I ended up in many places in Mannhattan, both mid town and lower. The only thing that impressed upon me was the smelly stench in hanging in the air everywere I went in the burrow. Was always glad to go home and get the heck outta there personally. Nothing there for me. Give me peace, quiet, solitude of smaller cities or even the countryside.

vonSpinmeister
05-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Mortoma1958, quite frankly I have to agree with ya on that.... NY City stinks to high heaven. I've been there myself many times in an 18 wheeler and the best part was always leaving.

The City and the Island are nothing but toxic waste sites. That is a fact as I've seen the State's maps for all the toxic waste sites in NY State while doing my haszmat training out at Medford LI. Not a pretty picture at all.

slo_1_2_3
05-17-2006, 03:12 PM
You should go to the yorktown in charelston south carolina. I think its in better shape and hteres a few planes on it and also more boats to see I belive theres a sub you can tour also .I was gonna get to go this year but now I can't. Has anyone else been to the yorktown? is it in the same shape as the intrepid?

Vuco1
05-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Well it better to go se that Intrepid and actually stand on its deck then to travel 300 km to se Enterprise, just to look at it from the shore, standing one mile from it.
Some people do just that, silly as it might sound.

R_Target
05-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by p-11.cAce:
Only one aircraft (an Avenger) is on the hangar deck and the plexi dividing off the ship tour areas from the display rooms was cracked and vandalized.

Wow, that is kind of a bummer. They had a Hellcat and a Helldiver when I went a few years ago.