PDA

View Full Version : What's the 30-50kph reading on a flat spin?

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 03:40 AM
After smacking into the ground for the umpteenth time I finally figured out how to recover from a flat spin in a P-39. My question is I notice the airspeed says anything from 30 to 50kph while I am Plummeting torward the ground. My question would be is that the speed of the nose circling in the spin?, or am I still moving forward at that speed? Just curious. Anybody know? Thanks...

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 03:40 AM
After smacking into the ground for the umpteenth time I finally figured out how to recover from a flat spin in a P-39. My question is I notice the airspeed says anything from 30 to 50kph while I am Plummeting torward the ground. My question would be is that the speed of the nose circling in the spin?, or am I still moving forward at that speed? Just curious. Anybody know? Thanks...

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 04:26 AM
from what I understand the speed is measured by a pitot on the wing (that thing you see sticking out of most planes). Due to your spin the pitot is rotating quite quickly, which could account for your 30-50kph rating. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 07:52 AM
That and a flat spin is rarely completely vertical there is some forward airspeed. A true flat spin is near impossible to ever recover from no matter what altitude you have to play with unless your equipped with RSO thrusters like alot of 1960s and onwards experimental aircraft where equipped with during extreme high altitude testing.

http://www.redspar.com/redrogue/CraggerUbisig.jpg

About after 30 minutes I puked all over my airplane. I said to myself "Man, you made a big mistake." -Charles 'Chuck' Yeager, regards his first flight

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 07:57 AM
The number you see is simply forward speed, which still exists in some amount in a spin. I doubt that FB would be so complex as to measure the exact rotational velocity of the pitot tube.

Message Edited on 09/25/0312:58AM by StG77_Fennec

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 05:15 PM
Its your speed in wich you turn around, Horizontal speed there ain't or just very little. Even from a flatt spin you can recover but you need a lot of altitude. Just push your rudder in the opposite directtion of the spin and keep it there, this turning makes you dizy ain't, not use youre throttle its useless, maybe try your elevator down, the planes nose must go down, its the only way to pick up airspeed. You hit F2 and watch if you see air coming from your wingtips, if this the case then youre going to win, Now the spin will go over in stall so you keep the nose down untill you got enough airspeed!!! Now pul very very gentlle the stick back so that youre not going to stall again. The airstream around your wings is still instable.
I'v got control over A P39Q10 back witch was in a flat spin, but lost about 2500 meters altitude plus 500 for the recovering of stability .
The best thing is Don't stall then you won't spin.
I'm looking for the P51 D in FB. HeHe put on a few wingtiptanks give full throtlle when youre cruising and there she go's spinning, Watch this bird, she can be mean she's got a big powerfull engine with a lot of torque.